OP
OP
MamaLovesHerReefTank

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Less does not equate to "bad" if it's still enough.

Again, are you planning to start raising clams? They are the ones that require the bright, bright, bright lights. ;)

One of these, resting on the tank as-rated, with a full tank of water :rolleyes: will be fine – even for stony corals. :) :) :)

There are some good DIY plans for screen tops around too, BTW.

I don't know what the scene is with CurrentUSA in Canada.

Will they get you with all the same customs, et al, if you go over to Detroit and carry it back yourself?

Would it at least be worth saving the shipping that way (presuming someone over there carries that light)?
No I'm not planning on raising clams. :) If I bring them over from Detroit, 9 times out of 10 if declaring it, they don't pull you in to pay duty. Problem I run into doing that is all warranties are null and void as soon as I cross the border. Sometimes it's not the company but the sellers that raise the prices like that.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm...maybe back to your local dealer and just see what they can bring in for the best cost? (Maybe something they don't normally stock.)

Ask them to give you the options they have available and if you want you can post them here for more feedback?

OP
OP
MamaLovesHerReefTank

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm...maybe back to your local dealer and just see what they can bring in for the best cost? (Maybe something they don't normally stock.)

Ask them to give you the options they have available and if you want you can post them here for more feedback?
I'm about ready to give up on the whole idea of new lights. I'm going to search for more ideas for getting the lights I have off the tank. Might be my only option for the time being.
I'll be going to LFS tomorrow so I will put the question to them and see if we can get some ideas. I never thought it would be this difficult and expensive to find lighting that fits our tank and needs. We can't be the only people in this situation.
Thanks again for helping me with this @mcarroll :)

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a problem! And I agree it's a subject worthy of more consideration than I think most people initially give it. :)

Can you post a pic of the current T5 installation?

Almost all T5 fixtures are meant to at least sit up on legs if not actually be suspended or screwed into something.

A bonus closeup shot might even help!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the unit you have?
A3961_Fluval-T5-HO-Double-Linear-Fluorescent-Lighting-91cm_NA_4w300-h300.png

And is it the model with 39 watt bulbs?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pic that shows the mounting problem would be helpful....one that shows these won't rest on the tank like they have been.

OP
OP
MamaLovesHerReefTank

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a problem! And I agree it's a subject worthy of more consideration than I think most people initially give it. :)

Can you post a pic of the current T5 installation?

Almost all T5 fixtures are meant to at least sit up on legs if not actually be suspended or screwed into something.

A bonus closeup shot might even help!
The problem with our tank and the legs for these lights is that we have 2 braces in the tank that are 24 inches apart. Tank top is divided in thirds of approx 24 inches each. We have 2 - 36 inch fixtures. We can use the arms on the outside rim but the arms on the other side of fixture sits right in the center of my middle glass top. That's where it cracked. In the last few weeks, we have been going to a new LFS that is about a half hour away. He has stopped selling saltwater livestock but is still carrying equipment, food, chemicals etc. He has 2 very gorgeous tanks that I fall in love with more every time we go. My husband was actually able to see the lights and their capabilities personally which is what he needs to make a decision. We were able to see a few different lights over the last 2 days visiting 3 different LFS. We saw Current Usa, Ecotech Radions 3rd and 4th Gen and Maxspect Razor. My husband has also said that he does not want to have to change again in a years time because I changed my mind and decided to go coral crazy. We decided on the Maxspect Razors. Our new LFS has an order going in tomorrow morning so he is going to order them for us for cheaper than what we can get online. He has a connection who is a very close friend. He spoke to him while we were there to get us a quote. These lights will take us through the next few years without having to update any time soon. Have I picked the right lights? I still don't know 100%. I think these lights are right for my tank and the corals I have and may add later.
Thanks again for all your help and patience with me. It is very much appreciated. :):)

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! That's what I run on my main tank and I like em just fine. :)

Computer is just sophisticated enough without being frilly. The light itself looks nice. And the hanging/feet options are very decent – as in it comes with both.

I did have a repair to make this year that cost me a bit, but not earth-shattering. It was an easy DIY repair after asking a couple questions.

You can probably expect it to generate a bit more shadowing than your T5's. Don't be alarmed is all I can tell you. :) It seems like some folks go around looking for reasons to be unsatisfied after buying. The Razor is a good light. :)

OP
OP
MamaLovesHerReefTank

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! That's what I run on my main tank and I like em just fine. :)

Computer is just sophisticated enough without being frilly. The light itself looks nice. And the hanging/feet options are very decent – as in it comes with both.

I did have a repair to make this year that cost me a bit, but not earth-shattering. It was an easy DIY repair after asking a couple questions.

You can probably expect it to generate a bit more shadowing than your T5's. Don't be alarmed is all I can tell you. :) It seems like some folks go around looking for reasons to be unsatisfied after buying. The Razor is a good light. :)
Whew! I was waiting for people to start telling me how they are no good etc etc. Seeing them in action makes a world of difference. Our new LFS was able to show us how they work and some of the different programs we can use. Once they come in, he will talk us through programming them. He also made sure to tell us to start with lower light to give our corals time to acclimate to the new light. He really put us at ease with our decision.

OP
OP
MamaLovesHerReefTank

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good choice Lori. I am happy to see you hooked up with a good LFS. They can be hard to come by. I have no doubt you will be happy with them. Between your LFS and @mcarroll, you should be abke to rock any coral. [emoji1]
Thanks again for your help as well. I'm going to your build thread to make sure I am subscribed right now. :)

Jem45472

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I mentioned it earlier, but I think the reefbreeders photon 48 is going to be your cheapest option while not worrying about light output. Comes with the ceiling kit, tank side mount arms (admittedly not attractive)

I made my own mount that is screwed to tank stand for $30
20161105_073721_zpsrcjndaxa.jpg

20161105_073435_zpschqrdrds.jpg

20161105_073852_zpsduqqve68.jpg

Looks like it's time for me to dust the light.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back