Lighting in the Waterbox Infinia150.4

vortexreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone

I've been out of the hobby for a few years. And I just put my new build on order a Waterbox Infinia150.4 (48.2" x 25.3" x 21.7"). I'm looking for some recommendations on what to run for the lighting. I would like be able to keep and grow a little bit of everything, and as time progress potentially move to a bit more SPS/Acro dominated tank. I was originally looking at going with (2) XR15s but I don't know if that will cut it, could always add a 3rd when the need arises? Or (2) XR30s or (2) 15s and (1) 30?... For some reason the Radions are where my mind first took me, but I'm open to other thoughts and ideas?

Thanks for the input!

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone

I've been out of the hobby for a few years. And I just put my new build on order a Waterbox Infinia150.4 (48.2" x 25.3" x 21.7"). I'm looking for some recommendations on what to run for the lighting. I would like be able to keep and grow a little bit of everything, and as time progress potentially move to a bit more SPS/Acro dominated tank. I was originally looking at going with (2) XR15s but I don't know if that will cut it, could always add a 3rd when the need arises? Or (2) XR30s or (2) 15s and (1) 30?... For some reason the Radions are where my mind first took me, but I'm open to other thoughts and ideas?

Thanks for the input!
Your overflow is in the middle of the back..Looks a bit difficult for say 3 single pucks mounted to the back.
You could do the light track thing which is probably a good idea IF you are contemplating a 3rd light down the line.
One thing though...if the down the road is far away there is no guarantee of availability or match to what you have

My " philosophy" is do it now...
With modern LEDs dimming is your friend.

As to alternates...state needs wants like..don't want to ceiling mount. Want to have channel control, want mixed lighting ie hybrid.
Or are they needs? You know not negotiable.
Need on tank mounting. Need color adjustability. Needs to not cost a fortune.

There are a dozen or so alternatives..
Like this:

Would it fit your needs?. And have some wants?
Just to be clear..just an example

You already stated intensity goals though it's more of a need for mixed may want for a sps.

Really only thing separating 100% sps and mixed is a price difference though even that can be " negotiated" based on..
...needs/wants.

OP
OP
V

vortexreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your overflow is in the middle of the back..Looks a bit difficult for say 3 single pucks mounted to the back.
You could do the light track thing which is probably a good idea IF you are contemplating a 3rd light down the line.
One thing though...if the down the road is far away there is no guarantee of availability or match to what you have

As to alternates...state needs wants like..don't want to ceiling mount. Want to have channel control, want mixed lighting ie hybrid.

Like this:

You already stated intensity goals though it's more of a need for mixed may want for a sps.

Really only thing separating 100% sps and mixed is a price difference though even that can be " negotiated" based on..
...needs/wants.
Thanks for all the info, greatly appreciated! Definitely a bunch to think about.. I want to try and do it right the first time around

Ideally I'm looking to go with a tank mount. Waterbox does make an overflow lid with a cutout that is Compatible with AI HMS and EcoTech Marine RMS. Based on that, I could go with the "3 puck" route if I went with one of those 2 options

The needs are tough for me, as I'm not quite exactly sure. I might need to do a bit more research, its one of those. You don't know what you don't know. Biggest thing is I want the best bang for the buck, and I don't want to be limited on what I can and cant do in the reef based on my lighting decision.

OP
OP
V

vortexreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I went the Radion route, any thoughts on if it would be better to go with?
(3) XR15s or
(2) XR30s or
(1) XR30 and (2) XR15s

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
48inch x 36 inch tank here...

I run 2 x XR30 G6 Blue's.

It has enough coverage for the tank if you space them out properly.
Although 3 x XR15's maybe a better option if you want less shaddows.

I don't think you need the XR30's because you do not have a 3 ft wide tank like mine.

JFinlay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased the same tank, shipped in record time I'm supposed to see it just a week after ordering. I'm going the "cheap" route, two Noopsyche V3s, have seen great reviews and PAR readings with them, less than half the cost of 1 XR30 for 2 NP lol. If needed I'll purchase a 3rd.

OP
OP
V

vortexreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased the same tank, shipped in record time I'm supposed to see it just a week after ordering. I'm going the "cheap" route, two Noopsyche V3s, have seen great reviews and PAR readings with them, less than half the cost of 1 XR30 for 2 NP lol. If needed I'll purchase a 3rd.
I'll take a look at those as well, thanks! Thats awesome yours shipped fast, mines showing back ordered and will ship by June 3rd. So we will see

OP
OP
V

vortexreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Like this:

...needs/wants.
Would just one of the those reefbreeders be enough to do what I want with this setup?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back