Lion fish named Shark Bait

abays24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5081.jpeg

We are on about 3 weeks now. He won’t eat we treated him with melafix and did a water change. He seems a little spunkier and not laying in the corner. None of the other fish are affected. But idk what’s going on please help

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
IMG_5081.jpeg

We are on about 3 weeks now. He won’t eat we treated him with melafix and did a water change. He seems a little spunkier and not laying in the corner. None of the other fish are affected. But idk what’s going on please help
Likely was the water change. Melafix is pretty much useless and is merely teak tree oil. I cant see clearly in pic but there may be ich present and do I see a cloudy eye?
Additionally, what foods are you offering?
Assure Nitrates and ammonia are not elevated as they are messy housekeepers.
What is age of the tank?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5081.jpeg

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Does only the one eye have a cataract, or do both?

How long have you had the fish?

OP
OP
A

abays24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likely was the water change. Melafix is pretty much useless and is merely teak tree oil. I cant see clearly in pic but there may be ich present and do I see a cloudy eye?
Additionally, what foods are you offering?
Assure Nitrates and ammonia are not elevated as they are messy housekeepers.
What is age of the tank?
We did the water change after his eyes changed. The nitrates were high but are good now. He was shedding a lot before this like once every couple weeks. He will only eat shrimp. I offer a wide variety if he does try something new he’ll throw it up. Most of the time he won’t try it though. We had this tank since March

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
We did the water change after his eyes changed. The nitrates were high but are good now. He was shedding a lot before this like once every couple weeks. He will only eat shrimp. I offer a wide variety if he does try something new he’ll throw it up. Most of the time he won’t try it though. We had this tank since March
Great to hear and focus on water quality moving forward

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both eyes I’ve had him about 2 years
Those are bilateral cataracts. Sometimes it is due to age, but it can also have environmental causes.

With its sight affected, you may need to try stick feeding it.

OP
OP
A

abays24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are bilateral cataracts. Sometimes it is due to age, but it can also have environmental causes.

With its sight affected, you may need to try stick feeding it.
All of my fish but one stick feeds. Do cataracts or environmental cause this to happen over night

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of my fish but one stick feeds. Do cataracts or environmental cause this to happen over night
I’ve never seen these develop overnight. Just to confirm that you are seeing the same thing I am: that the pupil of the eyes are cloudy, but the surface of the eye is clear? That is how cataracts look.

OP
OP
A

abays24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never seen these develop overnight. Just to confirm that you are seeing the same thing I am: that the pupil of the eyes are cloudy, but the surface of the eye is clear? That is how cataracts look.
Yes it’s his pupil. I noticed a couple days prior that his eye looked different and I woke up one day and they both were white

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 151 72.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.8%
Back