Lionfish lovers thread

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never thought about it, I just make sure it is not in the area I want to do things, I have a black long spine urchin that worries me more. ;)

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at this itty bitty; I'm starting another lionfish tank.

005.jpg

revaltion131

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. I can definitely see how he's a little too small at this point. What do you have him eating?

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I joined the club. Here's my fuzzy dwarf during acclimation before going into QT:
IMG_4221.JPG

He eats frozen mysis currently. I've tried a few other items for variety but he hasn't seemed interested in those yet. Hoping next week I can try some ghost shrimp. My LFS gets their live freshwater items out of Florida and their supplier hasn't been shipping since the storms so they're currently out.

How much mysis is "enough" in one feeding?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. I can definitely see how he's a little too small at this point. What do you have him eating?

He's eating live ghosties, I feed all my lions and angler live foods. Its getting a little easier to find them small enough. They are so fun at this size, but tricky.

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used to owned a Fu ManChu several years back and at early stage it took a few weeks to train it to consume live ghost shrimps (freshwater) and thereafter wean it off ghost shrimps & it just consume just about any meaty food! Mostly hand fed & most pleasant thing is Mr. Fu readily greets me every time I'm in front of the tank.
I've never been stung nor does Mr. Fu sees me as an aggressor whenever my hands in the tank! Missed my Mr. Fu ... RIP

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used to owned a Fu ManChu several years back and at early stage it took a few weeks to train it to consume live ghost shrimps (freshwater) and thereafter wean it off ghost shrimps & it just consume just about any meaty food! Mostly hand fed & most pleasant thing is Mr. Fu readily greets me every time I'm in front of the tank.
I've never been stung nor does Mr. Fu sees me as an aggressor whenever my hands in the tank! Missed my Mr. Fu ... RIP

How long did you have your Fu

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ask how long you had him because every one around here can't keep them alive. I've had mine for over 5 years and he's well over 4" if not 5", so I would say pretty much full grown since most people list them at 4" max. The lfs' around here seem impressed that I've had him that long.

014.jpg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good looking lions!

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me getting a telling off for feeding algae flake because I fed the last of the mysis flake this morning, picking up more tomorrow, lfs has been out of stock! ;)

DSC04011 by sshipuk, on Flickr

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have a yellow fuzzy dwarf lion or one of the other odd color variants, that's knows where I can get one. I live in Florida so I can only get the dwarf spices and want to add one that a little different. Thanks in advance

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only seen a yellow for sale online once in the last few years, that was at Blue Zoo. If you were to go for a yellow, I'd only buy a wysiwyg offering. Places i'd look would be Blue Zoo, Divers Den, and a few other boutique type retailers that you may consider credible. Sign up for the Divers Den sneak peak and if you see one listed, be online at Divers Den as soon as the listing goes live(around 3pm pst, even before you get the email). Send inquiries to all the other retailers and check often. It will probably just be luck if you find one.

Don't ignore the ones you see at the lfs that just look brown, pale, or plain. They are usually stressed, starving, and probably not in good shape. My yellow came in as a regular fuzzy; he barely had a sprinkling of yellow at the base of his spikes, no yellow in his wings at all and more brown than red. he had cloudy eyes and a sore on his lip; I brought him home because I knew he was going to die if I left him. I was very pleasantly surprised when his color popped. The fuzzy below was brown, pale, starving, and on death's door when i got him. Once he was in a healthy tank and became fat and happy, that's what he turned into. The ones from Africa seem to red up more than the ones from Indonesia. Look closely to see undertones of red and oranges.

IMG_20160704_134828.jpg

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only seen a yellow for sale online once in the last few years, that was at Blue Zoo. If you were to go for a yellow, I'd only buy a wysiwyg offering. Places i'd look would be Blue Zoo, Divers Den, and a few other boutique type retailers that you may consider credible. Sign up for the Divers Den sneak peak and if you see one listed, be online at Divers Den as soon as the listing goes live(around 3pm pst, even before you get the email). Send inquiries to all the other retailers and check often. It will probably just be luck if you find one.

Don't ignore the ones you see at the lfs that just look brown, pale, or plain. They are usually stressed, starving, and probably not in good shape. My yellow came in as a regular fuzzy; he barely had a sprinkling of yellow at the base of his spikes, no yellow in his wings at all and more brown than red. he had cloudy eyes and a sore on his lip; I brought him home because I knew he was going to die if I left him. I was very pleasantly surprised when his color popped. The fuzzy below was brown, pale, starving, and on death's door when i got him. Once he was in a healthy tank and became fat and happy, that's what he turned into. The ones from Africa seem to red up more than the ones from Indonesia. Look closely to see undertones of red and oranges.

IMG_20160704_134828.jpg
Ok thanks I'll out out feelers to all of them.

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After looking for about 2 years, I bought a bonded pair of yellow dwarf fuzzies. Absolutely stunning... I lost them both during a tragic tank crash. I was crushed... I haven't seen their equal.

fe8bbb32-1e9f-44a3-9db3-baf5300b0578_zpsdgserdzf.jpg

b25bc0c2-98c6-49ec-9229-3acbcd48c99e_zpsptawi8d8.jpg

db364c0d-f7f7-4066-8413-6231128ba027_zpsdbvxhfdx.jpg
If you dont mind me asking what did you pay for these guys? Also what size were they

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 19 28.8%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 20 30.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%

Back