Lionfish Question

Neil Sharpton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had any luck with keeping more than 1 lionfish in the same tank? What about different species? I have a 125 gallon tank that I am slowly converting to a fowlr tank. I was think as far as lionfish go a black volital lion and a Fu Manchu. I was thinking of putting a dwarf in my 75 gallon reef tank, but it would eat my wife's shrimp . Any help would be greatly appreciated.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had any luck with keeping more than 1 lionfish in the same tank? What about different species? I have a 125 gallon tank that I am slowly converting to a fowlr tank. I was think as far as lionfish go a black volital lion and a Fu Manchu. I was thinking of putting a dwarf in my 75 gallon reef tank, but it would eat my wife's shrimp . Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ive got a dwarf lion, she doesnt bother anything in my 70, not even shrimp or small fish. And yes you can keep different kinds of lions, Im looking for a fu to add to my girl! @lion king knows a TON of stuff about them and helped me with my lion and gave me lots of advice and resources and articles he wrote on feeding and other stuff!

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Fu Manchu in a reef that got super tame and would get really close to me while I worked in the tank. He’d get a couple inches away and just stay there.

He kept getting closer and closer over time, I had to chase him with the net and scare him to get him to back off. Then he’d start working his way closer and closer when I worked in the tank again, so the net had to come out every so often.

I never got stung. Very interactive fish that would only eat freeze dried shrimp.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Fu Manchu in a reef that got super tame and would get really close to me while I worked in the tank. He’d get a couple inches away and just stay there.

He kept getting closer and closer over time, I had to chase him with the net and scare him to get him to back off. Then he’d start working his way closer and closer when I worked in the tank again, so the net had to come out every so often.

I never got stung. Very interactive fish that would only eat freeze dried shrimp.
Where did you get your fu?? And Nala my fuzzy does that to. I dont shoo her because she never gives me any indication she wants to sting, I think shes more curious than anything.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had great luck spearing them in Roatan and then taking them to local restaurants to clean and cook...they are very tasty actually, and they are an invasive species to all Caribbean reefs!

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get your fu?? And Nala my fuzzy does that to. I dont shoo her because she never gives me any indication she wants to sting, I think shes more curious than anything.
I got it from a local fish store in College Station TX, this was in the late 90s. I never felt threatened either, it would just stay so close! I felt like it was the friendliest fish ever, just happen to be venomous!

I have a fox face now, completely opposite personality, very shy fish. It’s stays out of my way.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it from a local fish store in College Station TX, this was in the late 90s. I never felt threatened either, it would just stay so close! I felt like it was the friendliest fish ever, just happen to be venomous!

I have a fox face now, completely opposite personality, very shy fish. It’s stays out of my way.
I agree shes my friendliest fish too other than my female maroon clownfish! Im serious shes so friendly that Im not sure she realizes shes a maroon clownfish!

OP
OP
N

Neil Sharpton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got a dwarf lion, she doesnt bother anything in my 70, not even shrimp or small fish. And yes you can keep different kinds of lions, Im looking for a fu to add to my girl! @lion king knows a TON of stuff about them and helped me with my lion and gave me lots of advice and resources and articles he wrote on feeding and other stuff!
Thanks so much. Your dwarf leaves you shrimp and crabs alone? I read a lot of information that said they would eat them.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much. Your dwarf leaves you shrimp and crabs alone? I read a lot of information that said they would eat them.
Yes she does leave them alone! And I read the same and was going to put her in my 125 without shrimp but the tank wasnt up in time to get her so I acclimated and put her in my 70 with an acclimation box. Somehow she got loose and I thought for sure my shrimp and crabs were toast! She left them alone, didnt even look twice! Granted shes still tiny but she was the smallest lion Ive ever seen and the shrimp were bigger than her so maybe thats why? Ive since lost those two shrimp due to a heater malfunction. Still have a coral banded and my lion hangs out with her! My lion also ate frozen from day one of her in the tank cause the LFS trained her on frozen before putting her up for sale. I think I got a very rare and well behaved lion to be honest! ☺️

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back