Living room display tank build

AquaHaven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody!

This will be my ongoing project to create a display tank in my living room and make it a mixed coral with assortment of fish aquarium. This thread will serve to show the my progress.

A little bit of my background. I was on the freshwater side for years and was toying with an idea of starting a saltwater tank. Done few months of research and went in. I'm still very new to this, having only started about 3 months ago.

My first "reef" tak was a Fluval Flex 13 gallon tank. It quickly dawned on me that this will not be enough. Right after that I went for a 20 gallon tank and started the cycle using a Red Seas Reef Mature Pro kit. This went really good and looked like that:

IMG_0665.JPEG

I used couple of pieces of live rock I got from a friend and after just over 3 weeks, the tank was cycled. Live rock introduced a whole boat loads of issues though. There were fire worms, some algae, and it ended on bryopsis.

Then a disaster hit and the back of the tank started cracking. In panick, I got a second hand, 40 gallon Juwel aquarium in a hurry (that's a second size upgrade now) and transferred everything, apart from live rock. I also broke apart that huge rock to create something with more visual appeal to me, and more hiding spots. Now, it looked like that:

IMG_0144.JPEG

After I took that picture, I also transferred my cannister filter, a Fluval FX4. And then I noticed I made a fatal flaw, while I was stressing out to get the tank as quickly as possible. I did not check if everything was ok with it. Sure, it did not leak, but the front glass was so incredibly scratched I just couldn't let it go. Forward to about a week ago, when I decided that enough is enough, I will go and buy a new tank from the store and be done with it. And so I came back home with a 55 gallon tank (3rd and lust size upgrade, I promise! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:). Transferred everything again and now I am a bit more satisfied. I also added an extra internal filter to offset the temporary lack of a wavemaker.

IMG-0172.jpg

I since also connected the FX4. Now that we cought up, here's what's next. Lights, more sand and more rock are on their way. So is a wavemaker. It seems like the ugly stage have firmly set in. Soon I'll be picking up a pair of clowns and some snails. Once everything is in place I will start with corals, but something easy to start with. Namely, I'm planning to get a GSP and attatch it to the back wall and let it just grow and cover the entire back panel of the tank.

So that's it so far, and I will update this as I go. What do you think? Do you have any tips? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to our little piece of the reef. Wow that was quite the ride, BUT you did get a bigger tank out of it, so all seems well. looking forward to your tank build.

Welcome!!!
f127426c616cd57d67c79dfda815c596.gif

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 50 25.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 46 23.2%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back