Lobo help!!!

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I daily dose every day only cause I need t to keep up with he demand.

Also back to the lobo how long till it fully almost turned white.? A few days.? A month? Or .?

OP
OP
legacy2mj

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics of the other LPS and acans in my tank.... Pretty close to the level the Lobo is sitting at.
LSP1.jpg
LPS2.jpg
Lps3.jpg

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PH. IS 3.1?!?!?!? OR 8.1??????

ALSO DKH IS A BIT HIGH. How longhave you been runningdkh at 11? With dkh at that level cal I think sould be 400. Your tank is small and depending on stock youighrbe over dosing so keepingit high. But IMO people run there tanks differet. I run my tank SPS AND LPS. 7.5-8DKH. WITH 390-410CAL - PH i-8.1

Yeah whats with that number? Typo?

Alk seems to be too high at 11 dkh, after you just said 6.4 dkh a while ago. You can't move that around too much, you will have a lot of problems. It really should not be adjusted more than a half dkh per day if you need to adjust it. I run similar numbers to Rob&gab, but there is a broad range of acceptable, searching for a solid ratio between the numbers and keeping them stable is whats important.

OP
OP
legacy2mj

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea 3.1 was a typo... My ph is at 8.1... And even with a daily dosing of 8.4 I struggle to increase my PH and I don't know why.

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you tell someone anythingfind outhow long hey have had it and tank specs. IMO that's not allot of light for his tank its. PAR that is the key faction that plays the roll in peoples tanks.

Also if it was doing bad when he gt it. It could of gotten stressed or something happend.

Where did he say what type or wattage he had? He did say 10k. Placing a lobo 12" from light. Without acclimating it to the light level is not right. I also did say there are a number of factors. But the lobo is bleached.
Lowering the lobo to shade until it is regain color is not out of left field, no mater what caused the bleaching. He mentioned no other coral stressing. A new coral bleaching when no other coral shows signs, high light level is an obvious diagnosis when it is 12" from light.

OP
OP
legacy2mj

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not convenced its too high of light being I have other LPS about 2 inches below it doing just fine. The Lobo was doing great for months, then out of nowhere it just took a turn for the worse. I thought it may be the small amount of green hair algae growing on the rock, so i scrubbed it off.. that was only a few days ago tho so it hasnt been long enough to tell. I was hoping there was an obvious solution... But the more I get in to maintainging a reef, the more clear it becomes there is no obvious awnser for many things.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not convenced its too high of light being I have other LPS about 2 inches below it doing just fine. The Lobo was doing great for months, then out of nowhere it just took a turn for the worse. I thought it may be the small amount of green hair algae growing on the rock, so i scrubbed it off.. that was only a few days ago tho so it hasnt been long enough to tell. I was hoping there was an obvious solution... But the more I get in to maintainging a reef, the more clear it becomes there is no obvious awnser for many things.

There are so many things that can be a factor. Even people that have very similar set ups can have one minor difference that can make or break their set up. It doesn't seem like a ton of light from what you describe but only 12 inches away, or the length of time the light is on could change a lot. Do you run gfo? Or activated carbon?

OP
OP
legacy2mj

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are so many things that can be a factor. Even people that have very similar set ups can have one minor difference that can make or break their set up. It doesn't seem like a ton of light from what you describe but only 12 inches away, or the length of time the light is on could change a lot. Do you run gfo? Or activated carbon?

I dont run either, just floss filter and protein skimmer. The carbon was keeping it a little too filtered out.

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little late to chime in but I will anyhow. Sometimes a single coral will suddently do poorly for no reason at all. Recently I almost lost a Lobo in my garden of three. For no apparent reason it shriveled and almost died. I moved it to lower light, lower flow and force fed it for a couple months. Now its back in the original spot and doing fine again. The advice to move it to lower light is sound and worth taking IMO.

On another note. An alk of 11 and Ca. of 350 sound like Instant Ocean numbers to me and I've ran my SPS tank successfully with numbers close to those for nearly a decade. Also a Ph of 8.1 is perfect and trying to dose nightly to increase your Ph is an absolute waste of your time. I'm betting your Buffer is probably an alk buffer like Kalkwasser (which raises Ph, only temporarily) You should stop worrying about your Ph (only if it goes lower than 7.8 should you worry) and pay more attention to keeping your Alk, Ca, and Mg stable

OP
OP
legacy2mj

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the aquavitro line for all my dosing. And yes I do use instant ocean salt. I would prefer to use nutrisea but that's crazy expensive for water, plus I have to order it online.
I'm doing a full out water change tomorrow... Removing all my coral and rock and giving it a real good deep clean. While I am redoing my aquascape I will find a good low place to try and revive my Lobo. I hope that works.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back