Looking for some advice

Rbull8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
About 2 years ago I started my 120 gallon 4ft. mixed reef tank. I made a NSA scape using dry Marco rock. This was my first attempt at creating a sacpe. It came out ok but there are a few things i wish i would have done differently. I have about 30-40 corals in the tank and almost everything is thriving. I recently placed an order for a new Inovated marine 200 gallon ext. My original plan was to use my original aqua scape from the 120 and add on to it to fill the additional 2 feet for the new 200 gallon. I would then break down the 120 as it is a old tank I got on Craigslist that still holds water but has a few scratches here and there. This would save me a ton of money as I could use all the gear from the original tank, lights, powerhead, contoler, etc. Also there wouldnt be much of a cycle time as my rock is cycled and cover in Coralie algee. Win win all around.

Here is my dilemma,
About 1 year ago I noticed a few vermetid snails on the rock. I added bubble bee snails, cut back on broadcast feeding and even removed them the best I could. I would see a few here and there but not to bad. Last week I noticed that the population exploded. The corals don't really seem to care that their there so I don't feel like there affecting the tank negatively, but it bothers me know their there.

I'm kind of at a lost as what to do with the new 200. Transferring a scape over to my brand new dream thank that is infested with vermetid snails doesnt feel like its going to sit well with me. If money was no issues I would just start from scratch with a whole new system/ scape, but realistically this hobby is not cheep and buying all new lights/pumps/rock to be able to keep both tanks running is going to be difficult.

Am I over thinking this? Are vermetid snails going to happen no mater what? Most tanks I see have vermetid snails and I have no other pest problems as of now. Are vermetid just a part of this all and I should just except them? I'm curious what everyone has to say. Thanks for reading. I appreciate all the help and tips I have found from you guys over the years.
I

Hubert J. Farnsworth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm shutting a tank down now due to letting my vermetids go unchecked, and a few other reasons. i'll never let them go unchecked again though, and do everything i can to keep them out of my new tank going forward.

they aren't the worst pest, but they can get out of hand and ruin a tank in my opinion.

all that said, i'm not expecting to keep them out of the new tank, but i will sure as hell try and be a lot more vigilant this time.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about going the bumblebee snail route again? Talk to Reef Cleaners about the amount they would recommend and throw them in. They have always worked for me but I know everyones systems are different.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rbull8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. I'm still at a lost. I better make up my mined soon. New Inovated Marine 200ext is set to arive next week. Only took 2 months for the MTO, site said it could be up to 6 months. Super excited!

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t let those snails deflect from your plan … TBH I’ve never figured out what causes them to go plague or not…
perhaps remove what you see and carry on

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 52 24.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 52 24.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 50 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 51 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back