Love this hobby. But how do you handle the morality of it?

Marquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a couple tank crashes that left me with nearly no survivors both times. I already have depression but to me being able to provide these amazing fish a great habitat makes my life worth it. I've had people suggest to me to stop this hobby because I take fish deaths too hard.

Ernie Mccracken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saying that "fish just die" is probably not the right mindset, but that's how it seems. 50% of wild caught fish die on their way to the LFS and then half of those die short term in our tanks. The stats are not good.

The good news is that we've gone from clownfish being the only species bred commercially to dozens now, just in the past few years. And over time, those strains will become increasingly more suited for captive keeping.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally got into this hobby about 20 years ago, and it was very different then.

Fish sometimes collected with dynamite or cyanide. Nobody quarantined anything. And reckless animal options like sharks, octopus, or large morays were not uncommon.

Got back into it 2 years ago, and I've been trying to do everything right.

Trying to avoid overstocking, QT'ing everything. Careful drip acclimation. Only buying things I'm sure I can care for.

I track everything I do in this hobby in a lot of detail, so I have statistics for a lot of things. And even as a person who I like to think is acting pretty responsibly, I have a lot of fish losses.

In the last 2 years, I have bought 98 fish:
  • 47 are still with me
  • 11 have gone missing (presumed dead)
    • Most of these are chromis, anthias, and damsels that likely killed each other off.
  • 4 I've traded/donated
  • 35 dead
    • 6 to disease. Mostly mystery diseases
    • 10 jumped to their death
    • 4 refused to eat
    • 8 murdered by another fish
    • 4 accidental deaths (pump turned off, ammonia spike in QT, etc)
    • 3 acclimation deaths
A roughly 50% death rate seems not great.

1707103622178.png

Let's try again if I filter out high-mortality stuff like Chromis, Anthias and Damsels.

That leaves 57 total:
  • 25 still with me
  • 3 traded/donated
  • 28 dead
    • 5 disease
    • 10 jumped
    • 3 starved
    • 5 murdered
    • 3 accidental
    • 2 acclimation
So about the same really.

-----

I bring this up because I just got two Bluethroat Triggers yesterday, and while they looked good initially, I can already see that the male is not likely going to make it through QT. Probably my fault, might be something about the accilimation, but not sure.

I have literally been looking forward to buying this pair for 2 years, and I will probably lose one almost immediately.

It's getting sad/depressing.

There are so many variables involved before they even get to me. And even once I have them, it seems almost a roll of the dice if they make it a month.

How do you all handle this? What do you do to minimize the negative impact/death rate?
I feel you, lost 6/6 of the fish that I've been trying to get. Been attempting to stock my 120 gallon for about five months now, my LFS has a QT system that they run all of their livestock through before sale. Been placing these orders through and so far 5 have died through QT and 1 a week within me getting it. Though all of the other fish make it through QT just fine, just the ones I order. And I'm not choosing difficult fish either, ive had one china wrasse (the only one that made it through QT is the difficult one of course, never swam and died on the sandbed in my tank) one fairy wrasse, one flasher wrasse and a handful of anthias. The only thing i can suspect is that the region I'm ordering from is collected with Cyanide as only my fish are from there... Been getting kind of depressing, having a fish go from eating well and active to mysteriously disappearing the next time I ask about it.. Been trying to get out of a different region but it's not nearly as easy.

Marquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel you, lost 6/6 of the fish that I've been trying to get. Been attempting to stock my 120 gallon for about five months now, my LFS has a QT system that they run all of their livestock through before sale. Been placing these orders through and so far 5 have died through QT and 1 a week within me getting it. Though all of the other fish make it through QT just fine, just the ones I order. And I'm not choosing difficult fish either, ive had one china wrasse (the only one that made it through QT is the difficult one of course, never swam and died on the sandbed in my tank) one fairy wrasse, one flasher wrasse and a handful of anthias. The only thing i can suspect is that the region I'm ordering from is collected with Cyanide as only my fish are from there... Been getting kind of depressing, having a fish go from eating well and active to mysteriously disappearing the next time I ask about it.. Been trying to get out of a different region but it's not nearly as easy.

Have you had much success with this store before or is it newer?

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you had much success with this store before or is it newer?
I haven't personally kept many fish in the past, mainy just corals. Anyway they do have a very high success rate with almost every other fish, and when I was discussing it they said that my fish have been the most challenging ones they ever had to QT.. I've been getting all of mine out of melanesia while their normal fish are from southeast Asia. Waiting for more imports from Australia to be available as they have much stricter regulations with fish

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry but I don't have 51% mortality rate, I don't think 51% mortality rate is normal, and sorry to say it but if someone has 51% mortality then I think they are likely doing a lot of things wrong. It breaks my heart to know that one person killed 47 fish in such a short time.....

OP
OP
static416

static416

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The substaintial bulk of it is jumping/missing/murdered (29 of 46), which can be attributed to:
- Not using lids as widely as I could have, as soon as I could have.
- Competition amongst many smaller fish in the same niche. This is worse than I'd think.

Examples:
- I've tried three times to keep Yasha gobies. They acclimate well, but are extremely skittish and two of them were small enough to find a way through the mesh top. The third jumped during maintenance. But why are they jumping? Likely getting picked on/startled.
- Started with three Bangii Cardinals, now I have one. Bought them small and turns out they were all males. One murdered the other two.
- Chromis are just not stable in groups smaller than about 8 or so. Found that out the hard way.
- First Dracula Goby stayed around for about 6 months, going missing in the rockwork. Not sure what happened there. Second jumped on the second day alone in QT.
- Whitecap repeatedly jumped into the overflow, and I rescued it about 3 times before it disappeared for good.
- Tassled Filefish turns out to have been injured when the LFS bagged it, and I didn't notice until I got home.
- Bought Yellow-head Jawfish as a "pair", and as soon as they got into the display, the male started picking on the female. They separated, and stayed that way for about 8 months before the male finally killed the female.
- Got three Red Firefish, now I have one because they murdered each other. Should have researched that.

Broadly, I think some of it can be attributed to crowding, but a lot is just not knowing how the animals will behave until they are in the display.

That said, I take complete responsibility for the 3 accilimation and 4 accidental deaths. Those are the worst.

Sorry but I don't have 51% mortality rate, I don't think 51% mortality rate is normal, and sorry to say it but if someone has 51% mortality then I think they are likely doing a lot of things wrong. It breaks my heart to know that one person killed 47 fish in such a short time.....

ReeferZ1227

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally got into this hobby about 20 years ago, and it was very different then.

Fish sometimes collected with dynamite or cyanide. Nobody quarantined anything. And reckless animal options like sharks, octopus, or large morays were not uncommon.

Trying to avoid overstocking, QT'ing everything. Careful drip acclimation. Only buying things I'm sure I can care for.

I track everything I do in this hobby in a lot of detail, so I have statistics for a lot of things. And even as a person who I like to think is acting pretty responsibly, I have a lot of fish losses.

• 47 are still with me
    • Most of these are chromis, anthias, and damsels that likely killed each other off.
  • 4 I've traded/donated
  • 35 dead
    • 4 refused to eat
    • 3 acclimation deaths

1707103622178.png

Let's try again if I filter out high-mortality stuff like Chromis, Anthias and Damsels.

That leaves 57 total:
  • 25 still with me
  • 3 traded/donated
  • 28 dead
    • 5 disease
    • 10 jumped
    • 3 starved
    • 5 murdered
    • 3 accidental
    • 2 acclimation

-----

I bring this up because I just got two Bluethroat Triggers yesterday, and while they looked good initially, I can already see that the male is not likely going to make it through QT. Probably my fault, might be something about the accilimation, but not sure.

I have literally been looking forward to buying this pair for 2 years, and I will probably lose one almost immediately.

There are so many variables involved before they even get to me. And even once I have them, it seems almost a roll of the dice if they make it a month.

How do you all handle this? What do you do to minimize the negative impact/death rate?
Ive lost like 7 or 8 blonde nasos in the past year. Not sure if its the travel distance from sri lanka to the US, or if theyre still being collected with cyanide. 3 or 4 didnt eat and passed. The other 3 or 4 literally made it several weeks to several months, eating, happy, no aggression, then just dead.

I have little to no mortality with new additions, blonde nasos are the only ones. Regular naso, no problem. Even have a juvenile blue hippo doing fine. Have tried 3 different LFS.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like you pack a lot of fish into a smaller tank. I would keep less fish. I have a large display that is moderately stocked and I think one of the main reasons I haven’t lost a fish in a few years is because they all have plentyof space, any aggression is mitigated by the size of my tank. Also, lots of live rock with hiding places. I think this new minimalist aquascaping scheme really stresses fish out.

I also feel like quarantine does more harm than good.

OP
OP
static416

static416

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like you pack a lot of fish into a smaller tank. I would keep less fish.

This was arguably true in the 65gal. And have scaled things back in the move to the 160gal.

Not sure how this could possibly be true. I'd rather lose a few fish individually in quarantine than everything in my tank at once.

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a detailed log of every animal, coral, and invert.

- Where I got it, when, and what it cost. When it died, the general and specific causes.
- When it went into QT and when it left (been slacking there a bit)
- Any behavioral issues, or conflicts with other animals.

Also track all of my hardware purchases, sales, and maintenance.

Every water test for every tank, with up to 12 parameters, though 80% of the time it's just Salinity, Alk, Phos and Nitrate. Typicaly 3-5 times a week. Linked to any ICP results that happened at the same time so I can compare accuracy.

What I've dosed, in what volume, and when.

Used to track water changes and saltwater batches, but waterchanges are automatic now, so it's pointless.

It all automatically rolls up into a running history by date. Below is the events across all logs for the last two weeks.

1707108417038.png
That's pretty slick! I do pretty much the same thing, but in a spreadsheet. What software are you using for that?

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems 30% of your 50% mortality rate is self inflicted. I guess a good question would be, would this thread exist and would you be satisfied with 20%? Maybe taking responsibility and practicing a little humility would help with the mortality and morality? E.G. When I upgraded to a larger system I was gonna be special and have two pairs of clowns right. So after 2 months of cursing and being ticked off I now have a graveyard of designer clowns behind the system. Point of the story is when my 11 year old son said Dad I don't think we should buy clowns anymore. Why do they keep jumping out? I simply looked at my son and said because your Dad's an idiot.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most of my mortality happens very shortly after purchase…
Fish on fish crime or ich easily makes up the bulk of my losses over the years….
….as for environmental morals and concerns? I try to do my bit but IMO the slight damage from the ornamental industry pales in comparison to commercial food fishing….

that’s a great data base

OP
OP
static416

static416

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty slick! I do pretty much the same thing, but in a spreadsheet. What software are you using for that?
I use Airtable, just a bit easier to work with (in my opinion) than a spreadsheet because it's more like a database.

I was thinking of sharing a template because of all the automation I've added to it.

ReeferZ1227

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can confidently say that the mortality rate of my saltwater tank containing no predators is significantly lower than both the line at the end of my fishing rod, and life on a natural reef.

Suicidal wrasse are another story. I had a solar wrasse who i picked up 4x. The fifth time was not his lucky day.

I do 0 acclimation (only buy local). Plop and drop. I also have a heavily stocked 125 containing 5 tangs. Aside from the blonde nasos, this past year, Ive traded out more fish to my LFS than Ive had die in my reef, including jumpers.
1000028497.jpg

OP
OP
static416

static416

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve personally had great luck just buying fish, floating them for 30min and throwing them in my display… just like the old days lol.. that’s just me!

If I lived in the US and could buy pre-quarantined from Marine Collectors, I'd probably be inclined to closer to this method.

But the LFS in my area around Toronto are not all high quality. Ironically the fancier/more expensive one is actually worse for illness and deaths.

reefbliss2344

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

• 47 are still with me
  • 4 I've traded/donated
  • 35 dead
    • 4 refused to eat
    • 3 acclimation deaths

1707103622178.png

That leaves 57 total:
  • 25 still with me
  • 3 traded/donated
  • 28 dead
    • 5 disease
    • 10 jumped
    • 3 starved
    • 5 murdered
    • 3 accidental
    • 2 acclimation

-----

Great breakdown. Within this problem lies the solution snd drive to do better. You looking at the hobby like this proves your doing the best you can. My opinion. Patience . . .preparation and pampering. Stay positive. Keep up the good work.

OP
OP
static416

static416

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion. Patience . . .preparation and pampering.
I also think the velocity with which I'm making changes and trying things is magnifying the problems at times.

I don't really rush things, but probably have 2 or 3 things going on at once, and fewer concurrent changes would probably mean more chance to learn and succeed.

Also, slower would be a lot easier on the wallet. 20-yrs-ago-me would be appalled at how much I've spent on this hobby. But it's fun.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I lived in the US and could buy pre-quarantined from Marine Collectors, I'd probably be inclined to closer to this method.

But the LFS in my area around Toronto are not all high quality. Ironically the fancier/more expensive one is actually worse for illness and deaths.
I get mine through a fish store that orders direct from quality marine… I grab them before they hit the tanks in my lfs.. I’m not sure about Canada… :frowning-face:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%

Back