Low alkalinty

seeky007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I have had my tank up and running with no fish or coral for just over two months Iv been testing my alkalinity and it always seem to low I do a weekly water change of 25ltrs after last water change it was reading 7.4 that was last Sunday today Wednesday it was 4.7dkh (hanna checker)
I know there are bacteria and other things in the tank that will use alk but I didn't think it would use this much.woukd I have to start dosing from the word go ?

Any help would Ve awesome

I do have the triton liquids coming (other method)

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
if no fish or corals don't worry too much about your alkalinity.

also, with your water changes are you measuring/testing the newly mixed water before adding to tank? water changes should be close to identical in parameters to avoid any swings.

could also be test error/bad reagent

OP
OP
S

seeky007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if no fish or corals don't worry too much about your alkalinity.

also, with your water changes are you measuring/testing the newly mixed water before adding to tank? water changes should be close to identical in parameters to avoid any swings.

could also be test error/bad reagent
Thanks for the reply

In regards to my water changes I just check the salinity/temp.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was reading 7.4 that was last Sunday today Wednesday it was 4.7dkh (hanna checker)
With no fish or corals I am not sure if that is possible…

Do you have sand and is it getting hard? Alk will not evaporate so it is in the tank.

Corals use it, snails and shrimps so if they are not it might be precipitating out or it is a test error. 1dKh a day is quite a bit.

I would do 3 tests in a row to see it the results change…

OP
OP
S

seeky007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With no fish or corals I am not sure if that is possible…

Do you have sand and is it getting hard? Alk will not evaporate so it is in the tank.

Corals use it, snails and shrimps so if they are not it might be precipitating out or it is a test error. 1dKh a day is quite a bit.

I would do 3 tests in a row to see it the results change…
I will check the sand tomorrow and do the multiple test cheers for the info

OP
OP
S

seeky007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that alk in the 4's is a good chance to be test error on any reef tank.
Thank you for the reply.
I don't have a second alk test kit but I do have multiple hanna alk reagents from different batches do you think that would be worth testing from each bottle of reagent.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply.
I don't have a second alk test kit but I do have multiple hanna alk reagents from different batches do you think that would be worth testing from each bottle of reagent.

FIrst step, IMO, is to test the tank and new salt water side by side. If the new salt water is 8 dKH and the tank is 5 dKH, that's a very different interpretation than if both are 5 dKH.

OP
OP
S

seeky007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FIrst step, IMO, is to test the tank and new salt water side by side. If the new salt water is 8 dKH and the tank is 5 dKH, that's a very different interpretation than if both are 5 dKH.
Thanks for the reply
so tomorrow I will do my water change and before adding the new salt water I test both before adding them together.if the parameters are indeed that much apart what do youthink the reason could be?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply
so tomorrow I will do my water change and before adding the new salt water I test both before adding them together.if the parameters are indeed that much apart what do youthink the reason could be?

Most likely, test error. Remote possibility (which the value on Sunday suggests against as well) is a bad batch of salt or very low salinity.

OP
OP
S

seeky007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely, test error. Remote possibility (which the value on Sunday suggests against as well) is a bad batch of salt or very low salinity.
My milwaukee salinity checker said it is 34
My salt at the moment is redsea coral pro.ive just purchased tropic marin pro reef i will be switching to the next water change as I only have a small amount left if the redsea salt

Justdrew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those 2 salts are the complete opposite ends of the spectrum. Red Sea Coral Pro is one of the highest ALK salts. It mixes up to 11-12 dkh. TM Pro Reef is one of the lowest ALK salts. It mixes up to 7.0-7.5 dkh.

OP
OP
S

seeky007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that's right. Completely different reason I'm changing salt is I'm going to use the triton dosing liquids.tropic marin pro is what a lot of people have recommended

OP
OP
S

seeky007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
This morning I have just made a fresh batch of salt water tested alk twice with different batch reagents and its 11.2dkh.tank water 4.7?

OP
OP
S

seeky007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the moment I'm using redsea coral pro.when that's gone I'm going to switch over to tropic marin pro
20240425_125918.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, that's a tad low for RSCP, but it's not too much.

So I'd conclude the tank is pretty low, and I'd suggest raising it to 7 dKH by adding enough baking soda to boost alk by 1 dKH per day until you get to 7 dKH, then stop dosing and track alkalinity. :)

OP
OP
S

seeky007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, that's a tad low for RSCP, but it's not too much.

So I'd conclude the tank is pretty low, and I'd suggest raising it to 7 dKH by adding enough baking soda to boost alk by 1 dKH per day until you get to 7 dKH, then stop dosing and track alkalinity. :)
So I shouldn't do the water change and dose baking soda instead.?
And many thanks for the help

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back