OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. It made my Alk go up a full point. Grrrr. I should've checked with you first.

miamiangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you want to keep things stable . That's why I use Kalkwasser . I also have all those product sitting In a cabinet . Don't worry to much about PH , just keep your Alk between 8.5-9.5 . target Alk 9 you will be fine.

My friend says your corals will love you for It :)

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you want to keep things stable . That's why I use Kalkwasser . I also have all those product sitting In a cabinet . Don't worry to much about PH , just keep your Alk between 8.5-9.5 . target Alk 9 you will be fine.

My friend says your corals will love you for It :)

That pic is hilarious!

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer is producing skimmate, not super dark but it's pulling out something. Ph is between 7.8-8.0 since I installed it. I'm going to try to keep the Alk at about 9.5kh. I'm wondering if the additions aeration by the skimmer is helping bring up ph by reducing co2.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's still skimming. Even if it doesn't do a lot, it's definitely pulling out some junk. My nitrates are 5ppm and phosphates are .05ppm. Also, the ph has stabilized somewhat. It's staying between 7.8-8.0,8.1. Kh is 9.4. Adding 1/3 cup kalk raises the ph by .1 and the kh by .2. I'm going to try to keep it somewhere between 9-9.5. The SPS seem fine. The favia has seen better days, but it's been stressed by the fluctuations while I figured this out. I think the aeration provided by the skimmer has reduced the co2 in the tank. Looking good.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it make sense to add a little co2 scrubber to the skimmer to get the ph in the 8.1-8.3 range? I'm at my limit with the kalk if I want a good Alk. I know I shouldn't chase numbers, but is 8.0-8.3 really a better range than 7.8-.8.0? I know I'm being a little OCD but I'm curious.

miamiangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are doing fine with 7.8-8.0 . I have run my tanks that way for a long time . Now that I went to Klakwasser in my ATO my Ph stay stable between 8.1-8,2 depending on the time of day .It`s lower at night and higher during to the day . If your corals are happy I would no worry too much . your corals will tell you when something is wrong . Hope that make sense .

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it make sense to add a little co2 scrubber to the skimmer to get the ph in the 8.1-8.3 range? I'm at my limit with the kalk if I want a good Alk. I know I shouldn't chase numbers, but is 8.0-8.3 really a better range than 7.8-.8.0? I know I'm being a little OCD but I'm curious.

Scrubbers end up being expensive, and the effectiveness depends on the relative amount of aeration with the scrubber air vs the tank top and other means. I probably wouldn't bother in this scenario. :)

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scrubbers end up being expensive, and the effectiveness depends on the relative amount of aeration with the scrubber air vs the tank top and other means. I probably wouldn't bother in this scenario. :)

My husband calls me gadget girl for a reason.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

While mixed, there is some research that indicates a pH of over 8 is better than under 8, but messing too much with the tank will probably do more harm than good unless there is an easy way to modify the existing setup.

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/reef-chemistry-randy-holmes-farley/188104-ph-carbon-dioxide-question.html

If I was in the same situation as you I wouldn't worry about the pH though. I would just plan on using kalk to meet the ca and alk demand as the coral starts to grow.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back