Low PO4 High and slowly rising NO3

Herpdederp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been struggling with NO3 and P04 balance lately. Around the end of September all my fish died one by one from ich and the NO3 went up to 50 - 100, then I got all the remaining fish out and went fallow up to now.

After a lot of water changes I managed to get the NO3 down to 8 the lowest, but then I checked PO4 and since I've been so focused on reducing the NO3 I've completely stripped the system of PO4.

Over the last two nights I've fed two cubes of brine and some frozen clam and squid to the clean up crew and lobster, then some reef roids last night but then tested tonight and no increase in PO4 at all. But I'm sure my NO3 is slowly crawling up now. Should be around 15. I've been told to reduce/stop the nutrient export equipment for a couple of days, but I'm worried NO3 will blast back up.

150L
1 Year old tank
Skimmer
Pellet reactor
Refugium growing chaeto
K7 proii

OP
OP
Herpdederp

Herpdederp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using to test your nitrates and phosphates?
Hana for NO3 and Salifert for PO4, there's barely any blue at all if any showing up in the PO4 test the last couple of days adding nutrients in attempt to boost up PO4 and as little NO3 as possible. I also switched off all my nutrient absorbing equipment for 4-5 hrs after feeding/dosing but still no sign of any PO4... @@ I went to my LFS to look for PO4 supplement but the owner advised me to try and dose/feed to raise it, but no luck. Looks like I might be paying him another visit this weekend xD

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found overfeeding did not help me get my phosphates up, so I started dosing phosphates and it help me alot

Reeferdeluxe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would purchase a hanna for your po4 I was barely reading color on my salifert and was dosing po4 and way overshot my dosing.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 27 14.9%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 41 22.7%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 105 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back