Low-tech Aquarium

BarrieNoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'm posting here based on the title of the forum and assume I know nothing until I say something true because I am a super-noob. What is the best way to go about creating a 10-15 gallon cube or a 20-gallon shallow reef tank from scratch? I want this to be low-tech because I'm not a tech-whiz and I don't even use a cellphone so I have no use for all the components that run bluetooth. Once I can actually acquire the tank I need (and please feel free to explain to me the difference in quality between brands if not going AIO) in the shape I want, some live sand, dry rock, epoxy/glue and find a source for saltwater and/or make my own... my knowledge ends. I have seen Kessil A360x used on a 20-gallon shallow tank but I couldn't tell you anything about the light apart from it's price tag on Amazon. I know I need a heater. I know I need a a fan/motor/wave-maker. Knowing and acquiring then implementing and maintaining are all unique stages not easily reaches reading internet articles or watching YouTube videos, however. I look forward to getting some feedback and advice.

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I think of low tech, I think of back in the day when you had an air stone for a skimmer or the really old school hang on back skimmer that never produced any skimmate.

OP
OP
BarrieNoob

BarrieNoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First and foremost, what kind of fish would you like to keep in your tank? This is the first question to ask and answer as your tank build should be based on the fish you want to keep.
In terms of livestock: a cleaning crew (snails, shrimp, maybe some crabs), a couple clowns, maybe a wrasse, maybe a couple blennies or gobies. I don't think a 20 gallon tank can support a bunch of fish. I am aiming more for the reef with all other life going to support maintaining that reef.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you’re describing is likely a “fish only with live rock” or FOWLR. You don’t need actual expensive live rock, it will get there eventually. For starters, simplest setup needs a tank, heater, something for flow/water movement, a basic light, then water and rock. With dedication, that’s pretty much all that’s “required”, but some additions make care easier and let’s you keep more advanced critters such as corals. You would be relying on the store for certain things as well.

OP
OP
BarrieNoob

BarrieNoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you’re describing is likely a “fish only with live rock” or FOWLR. You don’t need actual expensive live rock, it will get there eventually. For starters, simplest setup needs a tank, heater, something for flow/water movement, a basic light, then water and rock. With dedication, that’s pretty much all that’s “required”, but some additions make care easier and let’s you keep more advanced critters such as corals. You would be relying on the store for certain things as well.
I never planned to buy live rock as I prefer the colour of the dry rock and agree that the dry rock will become live rock eventually. I disagree with the FOWLR assumption unless that designation applies to a reef tank with 1 or 2 fish and Cuc. Because the corals are the main goal. I want to build a small, shallow, coral reef.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never planned to buy live rock as I prefer the colour of the dry rock and agree that the dry rock will become live rock eventually. I disagree with the FOWLR assumption unless that designation applies to a reef tank with 1 or 2 fish and Cuc. Because the corals are the main goal. I want to build a small, shallow, coral reef.
A marine (coral) tank needs:

-heat
-light
-oxygenation and water movement. Many coral species need proper water flow to get food, as they can't walk or swim around to get it themselves.
-salt water

You can make your tank as "low tech" as you'd like, but that choice will come with consequences.

You could leave out a heat source if the aquarium is going into a climate-controlled environtment. Yes, 20C is coolish for a reef tank. However, your return pump and lighting will add a few more degrees to the setup, and if you've got a canopy, you'll retain heat. I've got just such a setup in my office, and the tank there runs at a steady 23-24C.

You can light the tank with natural sunlight. That's not recommended, because you'll probably end up with runaway algae growth and inadequate lumens at your latitude. You can do it, but I wouldn't recommend it for a first tank.

You can add an airstone only, but one isn't enough for a 20g tank with fish. You'll need at least one good powerhead for water flow.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that kind of system in mind, the choices start. Things like budget, available space impact what kinds of tank you might get. Smaller tanks cost less but are more susceptible to changes.

OP
OP
BarrieNoob

BarrieNoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A marine (coral) tank needs:

-heat
-light
-oxygenation and water movement. Many coral species need proper water flow to get food, as they can't walk or swim around to get it themselves.
-salt water

You can make your tank as "low tech" as you'd like, but that choice will come with consequences.

You could leave out a heat source if the aquarium is going into a climate-controlled environtment. Yes, 20C is coolish for a reef tank. However, your return pump and lighting will add a few more degrees to the setup, and if you've got a canopy, you'll retain heat. I've got just such a setup in my office, and the tank there runs at a steady 23-24C.

You can light the tank with natural sunlight. That's not recommended, because you'll probably end up with runaway algae growth and inadequate lumens at your latitude. You can do it, but I wouldn't recommend it for a first tank.

You can add an airstone only, but one isn't enough for a 20g tank with fish. You'll need at least one good powerhead for water flow.
I will definitely have a heat source, a good light (once I find a brand I both like and can afford) and a magnetic wave creator of some sort. As for aquaculture, I would build one from several smaller pieces. It is all that comes after that that I'm unfamiliar with. Which brands do I trust? Do I need a skimmer? Do I need a sump? What does a sump do... I begin spiralling.

OP
OP
BarrieNoob

BarrieNoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoops, delayed send.

Typically, folks start with FOWLR, then work up to corals. My 100g build will be doing that (currently plumbing it).
Well, I don't might starting with a few fish and then a clean up crew before I binge on corals. I just don't have a working foundation built-up to know the product I need vs. don't need. Obviously, more advanced aquariums will requires things that my nano won't and unfortunately any useful aquarium/coral business is in Toronto and I haven't had time to make the trek yet. My biggest query at the moment is the tank. If I don't want an AIO, will 1 glass tank be worse than another if it is less expensive?

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, then let’s do one by one.

ignore brands for now. Everyone has opinions. :)

A skimmer isn’t required but has benefits most folks take advantage of. It removes stuff before algae can use it.

A sump is a secondary space to house more water and hide ugly equipment. Also, nice to have but more complicated.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not promoting this as the best way but if LOW BUDGET is key and 20 gallon is your target, you could START with something like this:

Essentials 20 Gallon Starter Kit

I started with the 37 gallon version and it got me going in the right direction, but I did have space constraints that kept me from even thinking about using a sump.

SaltwaterAquarium on YouTube has a "budget build" video series where he starts with a somewhat similar setup and then progresses to get it coral ready (by adding powerhead, better lighting, etc)

OP
OP
BarrieNoob

BarrieNoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not promoting this as the best way but if LOW BUDGET is key and 20 gallon is your target, you could START with something like this:

Essentials 20 Gallon Starter Kit

I started with the 37 gallon version and it got me going in the right direction, but I did have space constraints that kept me from even thinking about using a sump.

SaltwaterAquarium on YouTube has a "budget build" video series where he starts with a somewhat similar setup and then progresses to get it coral ready (by adding powerhead, better lighting, etc)
My only gripe about TopFin is that I want a rimless tank. That said, I believe they have one and quite possibly at my city store too. I just held off on getting it for fear that if it was at that store it must be of low value in some way.

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you are sparking a lot of replies, because we can relate. my first tank was a 30 gal bowfront, home made stand, with a diy overflow to a 20 gal sump. heaters, return pump, light, sand, salt, rock, and power. CUC, mollies, colt coral, boom! ok not that simple but def low tech. running two years

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would find what you like and then research that. Maybe someone on here has built one and can tell you first hand pro/con about it. Up to you. Good luck.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright then. I'm going to find myself a rimless, shallow 20-25 gallon tank. Brand be danged.
My advice: go and buy a Fluval Evo XII. It's a fantastic price for the tank, is an AIO that doesn't need many upgrades, and is extremely popular, so you have loads of available threads to follow, mods to contemplate, and aquascapes to view. $180-200 CAD for a usable marine tank from the get-go (and half that for a used tank) is a deal that you really can't beat.

Back