Lumenmax elite vs Hamilton Caymen sun 24” cube

Acrofiend

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Im trying to choose between the two. The Lumenmax seems to have a hotspot in the middle and has to be hung high. My LFS is selling a cayman sun and was wondering if it’d be the better option for par distribution?

harrylarry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But what about the true UV?!?
In all honesty I like the look from a radium.

Well where you gonna get bulbs from?? They are dead and barely anyone makes them anymore and laws are being passed to finally ban them.

Go led or t5.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either of those should work for a cube like that.

Still bulbs made to choose from. The self-important parrots who have no idea what they are talking about are the only ones who think that MH bulbs will not be made or are illegal. There have been some changes lately and it looks like SE stuff has a more secure future with more choices, but have gotten some word that some popular DE bulbs will be back soon.

If you want radiums, buy a few and use them for 2 years. It might be a bit before you will be able to get something similar again once this current batch sells out.

OP
OP
Acrofiend

Acrofiend

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Either of those should work for a cube like that.

Still bulbs made to choose from. The self-important parrots who have no idea what they are talking about are the only ones who think that MH bulbs will not be made or are illegal. There have been some changes lately and it looks like SE stuff has a more secure future with more choices, but have gotten some word that some popular DE bulbs will be back soon.

If you want radiums, buy a few and use them for 2 years. It might be a bit before you will be able to get something similar again once this current batch sells out.
The cayman is 12x12 and Lumenmax is 15x15 but more cone shaped reflector.
I may try the cayman sun since he’s only selling it for $50.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good idea. Get a ballast with at least HQI setting and get some m80s if you can still find one. Be on the look for a backup for cheap. Get a handful of bulbs too. Not too hard with only one on the tank. :)

OP
OP
Acrofiend

Acrofiend

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
A good idea. Get a ballast with at least HQI setting and get some m80s if you can still find one. Be on the look for a backup for cheap. Get a handful of bulbs too. Not too hard with only one on the tank. :)
I’m using a 250w radium with a Hamilton m80 ballast but it’s only running at 280w. So not sure the deal on that.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im trying to choose between the two. The Lumenmax seems to have a hotspot in the middle and has to be hung high. My LFS is selling a cayman sun and was wondering if it’d be the better option for par distribution?
You may find these 2 links interesting..
Cayman sun was using a double ended bulb though..
https://reefs.com/magazine/product-...iii-lumenmax-elite-lumenmax-and-lumenarc-iii/

OK I lied one link. The "new" Reefcentral has dead images.. so I'll just add the pertinent image here from the "old' reef cental. No idea why it shows up there.
Again this was using a double ended bulb. The 2 other reflectors are generic dimpled ag reflectors w/ single ended bulbs.
Has 4 hot spots really. It would probably be different w/ a single ended bulb in there.

On the two side MHs are generic horticulture pendants running single sided bulbs 10K XM 400W. Looking from the back, the leftmost pendant is 2" higher ~14".

In the middle is a Hamilton Cayman Sun pendant running a double ended bulb 14K Hamilton 400W.
caymansun.JPG

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no experience with Lumenex but I'm very happy with my Hamilton Cayman 150 watt, I just got it last year (to replace my existing MH system). Bulbs are easy to find, don't worry about that.

I think a supplement light helps with PAR distribution, I have 2 OR3 bars with my MH. Without the OR3's, it was a challenge to light the corners.

OP
OP
Acrofiend

Acrofiend

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have no experience with Lumenex but I'm very happy with my Hamilton Cayman 150 watt, I just got it last year (to replace my existing MH system). Bulbs are easy to find, don't worry about that.

I think a supplement light helps with PAR distribution, I have 2 OR3 bars with my MH. Without the OR3's, it was a challenge to light the corners.
How high are you raising your lights?

OP
OP
Acrofiend

Acrofiend

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Its a 40 breeder, there is a darned brace in the center of the tank. Not sure what you mean by hotspot, I had a coralife MH over my 32 previously before this tank, I don't find any issue.
More like hotspot in the center. I’m currently getting that with my Lumenmax elite. Really high par in the center and par drops off on the sides.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
More like hotspot in the center. I’m currently getting that with my Lumenmax elite. Really high par in the center and par drops off on the sides.

I would go with the Cayman Sun if it were me. I've ran both before and I liked the Cayman Sun better. It's a very good distribution and the reflector is excellent.

You'll be able to get bulbs, no worries.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 116 35.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back