Lyretail Wrasse Diagnosis

tmhickey2023

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advice on this lesion on the side and head of my male lyretail anthias? Still eating but definitely scratching on rocks and wavemakers.

Better video under white light:

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tmhickey2023 Welcome to the Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis Forum!

The #fishmedic team and other knowledgeable members of our community will do our best to help you resolve your questions. Please provide as much of the following as you are able:
  • Brief description of the issue you are observing and answers to the following questions:
    • How long have you had the fish with the condition?
    • Did you quarantine with medication when you first acquired the fish? (If Yes, which medication?)
  • Current water quality measurements
  • Clear photos of the issue taken using WHITE light and/or a short video of any behaviors (post in your response or on YouTube).
If you can help us by providing as much of the above info as possible, it will make diagnosing and providing recommendations for treatment MUCH easier! The Fish Medic team will get back to you as quickly as possible. In the meantime, other members of our community may also share their experience with similar situations and advice that they may have regarding your situation.

You may also feel free to provide a more detailed description of the condition if you wish to share more info than the above list.

Additionally, these links may be useful while you await a response:

OP
OP
T

tmhickey2023

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tmhickey2023 Welcome to the Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis Forum!

The #fishmedic team and other knowledgeable members of our community will do our best to help you resolve your questions. Please provide as much of the following as you are able:
  • Brief description of the issue you are observing and answers to the following questions:
    • How long have you had the fish with the condition?
    • Did you quarantine with medication when you first acquired the fish? (If Yes, which medication?)
  • Current water quality measurements
  • Clear photos of the issue taken using WHITE light and/or a short video of any behaviors (post in your response or on YouTube).
If you can help us by providing as much of the above info as possible, it will make diagnosing and providing recommendations for treatment MUCH easier! The Fish Medic team will get back to you as quickly as possible. In the meantime, other members of our community may also share their experience with similar situations and advice that they may have regarding your situation.

You may also feel free to provide a more detailed description of the condition if you wish to share more info than the above list.

Additionally, these links may be useful while you await a response:
Have had the fish for approximately three months.
He has been behaving normally up until yesterday. Some scratching noted. He is still eating well.

I did not quarantine as I do not have a suitable QT yet.

No treatment done as of yet.

Tank is RedSea 350; so 90 gallon volume. 10% Water change completed last week.

Water parameters:
Ammonia and Nitrite zero;
Salinity 1.025
Nitrate: 0.0 ppm
Alk: 8.4
Calcium: 400 ppm
Phosphate: 0.02 ppm
Magnesium: 1375 ppm

Posted videos that I hope are clear enough.

Thank you!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
He has been behaving normally up until yesterday. Some scratching noted. He is still eating well.

Water parameters:
Salinity 1.025

Thank you!
This fish is thin and is a lyretail anthias, not wrasse. Additionally needs a supply of food throughout the day and is displaying odd swim behavior. Need another video but Under bright white lighting as this fish is susceptible to both skin irritation and uronema. Hard to see skin under the current lighting. Also need more video length as fish moves a lot which is typical

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Water parameters:
Salinity 1.025

Thank you!
Videos are a bit blue to see clearly, but the fish looks a bit thin and tattered. Combined with the scratching you’ve seen, skin flukes would be a good possibility. You can treat that with Prazipro, dosed twice, 8 days apart with good aeration (an air stone). Run any skimmers, but don’t collect the skimmate. Remove any carbon from the filter during treatment.

OP
OP
T

tmhickey2023

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish is thin and is a lyretail anthias, not wrasse. Additionally needs a supply of food throughout the day and is displaying odd swim behavior. Need another video but Under bright white lighting as this fish is susceptible to both skin irritation and uronema. Hard to see skin under the current lighting. Also need more video length as fish moves a lot which is typical
Yes sorry about the title. I stated it correctly in the body just typed wrong name in title.
He does get 3 feedings daily from plank auto feeder as well as a supplemental feeding where I alternate artemia and some phytoplankton which I soak in various supplements.
I’ll try to get a new video with just white light.
Thanks for the input!

OP
OP
T

tmhickey2023

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Videos are a bit blue to see clearly, but the fish looks a bit thin and tattered. Combined with the scratching you’ve seen, skin flukes would be a good possibility. You can treat that with Prazipro, dosed twice, 8 days apart with good aeration (an air stone). Run any skimmers, but don’t collect the skimmate. Remove any carbon from the filter during treatment.
Thanks. That was what I was thinking so I’ll try that as well as get another better video.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes sorry about the title. I stated it correctly in the body just typed wrong name in title.
He does get 3 feedings daily from plank auto feeder as well as a supplemental feeding where I alternate artemia and some phytoplankton which I soak in various supplements.
I’ll try to get a new video with just white light.
Thanks for the input!
Add to diet:
Mysis shrimp
LRS Fish Frenzy
plankton
TDO Pellets

OP
OP
T

tmhickey2023

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Videos are a bit blue to see clearly, but the fish looks a bit thin and tattered. Combined with the scratching you’ve seen, skin flukes would be a good possibility. You can treat that with Prazipro, dosed twice, 8 days apart with good aeration (an air stone). Run any skimmers, but don’t collect the skimmate. Remove any carbon from the filter during treatment
Added prazipro today at 85% of recommended dose and placed air stone in sump. Definitely noticed one nem and a couple lps close up a bit.

New Video:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added prazipro today at 85% of recommended dose and placed air stone in sump. Definitely noticed one nem and a couple lps close up a bit.

New Video:

Just to be clear - Prazipro needs to be dosed at 100% of the dose on the bottle, for the net volume of water in the tank. The 15% lower is just if you don’t know the actual net water volume, 15% is just a common amount of water displaced by the rock in the tank.

OP
OP
T

tmhickey2023

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be clear - Prazipro needs to be dosed at 100% of the dose on the bottle, for the net volume of water in the tank. The 15% lower is just if you don’t know the actual net water volume, 15% is just a common amount of water displaced by the rock in the tank.
Yes that’s what I thought. I wasn’t certain of volume so I used the 85% estimate.
Was the new white light video better?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that’s what I thought. I wasn’t certain of volume so I used the 85% estimate.
Was the new white light video better?

Yes - it does seem to have that "fluke tattered look".

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back