M

Ron Primas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. For the last 2 weeks, my 8 year old coral is receeding from the base up. Originally I thought that the mushrooms in my tank that are growing wild were stinging it but it is not the case. The water parameters are stellar. It's a constant 50% water change weekly with NutriSeawatet for the last 8 years.
Not sure what the issue is. I also thought it was the lighting as have a 4 year old AI Prime but the company says it's spectrum is good for 7 years with my 16 hour photoperiod.
It has always been a perfectly round mass. It now is starting to look like a cap.
Thanks

20240329_000840.jpg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell from photo but is it a shading issue? From the look here the stuff dying isn't getting light.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. For the last 2 weeks, my 8 year old coral is receeding from the base up. Originally I thought that the mushrooms in my tank that are growing wild were stinging it but it is not the case. The water parameters are stellar. It's a constant 50% water change weekly with NutriSeawatet for the last 8 years.
Not sure what the issue is. I also thought it was the lighting as have a 4 year old AI Prime but the company says it's spectrum is good for 7 years with my 16 hour photoperiod.
It has always been a perfectly round mass. It now is starting to look like a cap.
Thanks

20240329_000840.jpg
Shading? Going by this pic alone. Previous pics may show more.

OP
OP
Ron Primas

Ron Primas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as the coral filled out above it shaded what was below. Just a guess I dont know how it grew or from what area. Just typically what shading looks like.
I agree, however, the entire time I had it, the entire spherical structure was green under the same llighting conditions.

OP
OP
Ron Primas

Ron Primas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking closer I see vermetid snails near the bottom I think. May be the cause.
Wow. You are right. I see another of them. That explains the other corals that are dying.
I read that bumble bee snails help. Is that true?
Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks

20240329_000840.jpg
Any change in flow or water used?
Other factors that influence this are often a change in salinity, temperature and salt mixes. Additionally, Elevated phosphate, light and even new light and elevated alkalinity levels will be a higher risk to coral.

OP
OP
Ron Primas

Ron Primas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any change in flow or water used?
Other factors that influence this are often a change in salinity, temperature and salt mixes. Additionally, Elevated phosphate, light and even new light and elevated alkalinity levels will be a higher risk to coral.
Everything is exactly the same. Insanely stable. Thanks

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. You are right. I see another of them. That explains the other corals that are dying.
I read that bumble bee snails help. Is that true?
Thanks!
I have never tried them, but I have read that multiple times. Do you have a lot of vermetids? Maybe just try manual removal first. Pry them off the rock with a small flat head screwdriver or crush them with a small pair of needle nose pliers. Just make sure to get the base off. That is what I have done in the past.

OP
OP
Ron Primas

Ron Primas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is exactly the same. Insanely stable. Thanks

I have never tried them, but I have read that multiple times. Do you have a lot of vermetids? Maybe just try manual removal first. Pry them off the rock with a small flat head screwdriver or crush them with a small pair of needle nose pliers. Just make sure to get the base off. That is what I have done in the past.
Unfortunately. It looks like there's a lot of them

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just what happens when a coral starts to grow into a nice colony. New growth is brightly colored and shading the underneath growth.

As the new grows, the old dies, creating the reef.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back