OP
Mhamilton0911

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So since I've been thinking of ways to streamline all my tanks, so everything is as easy as possible, not only for my day to day things but also so I can take a vacation in the future.

I've decided overall I have 2 really similar tanks and I could probably combine the two. The 13.5 Evo and the 15g IM cube. The cube has no real purpose and it's inhabitants can easily go anywhere, but I really like this tank and how it's designed. I like it's location and maintenance has been easy. No permanent corals in it yet so blank canvas really. Dislike the Evo, honestly the baffle design sucks compared to the cube, and I maintain this one the least. But a lot of Corals to take out, 3 types of anenomes, an established Duncan colony glued to the rock, and a few euphillias.

Here's glorious blue dirty glass pictures.
Cube
IMG_20240303_153616856.jpg

Evo
IMG_20240303_153657336.jpg

OP
OP
Mhamilton0911

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the test kit, but are my nitrates really that low? 2ppm?

I haven't tested in a while since I hate the Hanna lowrange one, and I ran out of salifert.

I was usually above the 5ppm limit of the low range Hanna, so that's why I'm surprised to see it at 2ppm.

Also, got the dosing pump hooked up, tested, calibrated and ready to install, but I need to figure out the scheduling part of the app. My little dosing container looks like it will work, it'll hold over 2000ml so should be plenty for my needs. And wow, the tubing in this pump is tiny and not all airline is created equal. I know that now.

Attachments

• IMG_20240304_131243186.jpg
    IMG_20240304_131243186.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP
Mhamilton0911

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the ATO overfilled over night? Went about 3" over the sensor. But did not empty the container, so I guess the overfill safety did shut it off. Not sure why.

Same exact scenario with the last ATO that was an optical sensor. Which is why I went float sensor this time.

So confused. Unplugged for now.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the ATO overfilled over night? Went about 3" over the sensor. But did not empty the container, so I guess the overfill safety did shut it off. Not sure why.

Same exact scenario with the last ATO that was an optical sensor. Which is why I went float sensor this time.

So confused. Unplugged for now.
@F i s h y

OP
OP
Mhamilton0911

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze 3152. It didn't come with a siphon break like the other one did, now that I'm thinking about it. But I did make sure that the fill hose is not submerged at all.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Tunze 3152. It didn't come with a siphon break like the other one did, now that I'm thinking about it. But I did make sure that the fill hose is not submerged at all.

Does it pump up to the tank or into a sump?

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When Jason installed mine he used a RO connection that he drilled a hole into just above the waterline to prevent siphon issue. I can send you a photo when I get home.

I know this isn’t the current issue but if you get that one resolved and continue use, you will want some sort of siphon break.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
When Jason installed mine he used a RO connection that he drilled a hole into just above the waterline to prevent siphon issue. I can send you a photo when I get home.

I know this isn’t the current issue but if you get that one resolved and continue use, you will want some sort of siphon break.
For soft tubing you can heat up an ice pick and melt a small hole the same way.

OP
OP
Mhamilton0911

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it pump up to the tank or into a sump?
Up into the tank, it's AIO. Sensor in the pump return chamber, no bubbles, I've eliminated them with a big sponge. The outlet is above the sponge, not in water, but positioned so the refilling water goes into the sponge to not make a splash to disrupt the sensor.

I'm not home but I'll I take pictures to show I get back.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Up into the tank, it's AIO. Sensor in the pump return chamber, no bubbles, I've eliminated them with a big sponge. The outlet is above the sponge, not in water, but positioned so the refilling water goes into the sponge to not make a splash to disrupt the sensor.

I'm not home but I'll I take pictures to show I get back.
Sounds like a potential delay in the filling due to the sponge then possibly it takes a couple of seconds to equalize in the "return" section.

OP
OP
Mhamilton0911

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My initial test run stopped perfect where it should. Of course it was while I was standing in front of it, only fails when I walk away...

I did a bunch of reading on the fails for this one, and it appears that's it's own magnet on the outside of the tank can interfere with it's float magnet inside the tank. Remedy was to add cardboard between to make the outside magnetic less strong?

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My initial test run stopped perfect where it should. Of course it was while I was standing in front of it, only fails when I walk away...

I did a bunch of reading on the fails for this one, and it appears that's it's own magnet on the outside of the tank can interfere with it's float magnet inside the tank. Remedy was to add cardboard between to make the outside magnetic less strong?
Makes sense I suppose. Thinner glass/acrylic could grab the float switch and hold it open until the water level gets higher.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Less likely, but it could also be possible that you return pump in fluctuating. (Failing?)

My previous pump was doing this on my
Big tank before I replaced it. So if the ATO fills to the correct level and then subsequently, your return slows down, it could appear to be overfilling.

Again, usually the less complicated explanation is more likely. Just a random thought I had.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 194 71.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back