Magnesium has a constant low reading of 1200 (both instant ocean and red sea) - help!

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. It stated that way on the bag of reef crystals. I assumed it was for the standard 35 ppt mix ratio. I went to look after reading your msg but it doesn’t really say… so you’re probably right it’s for a different gravity

image.jpg
It's not. That mixes up to around 32ppt. Most available salt mixes are 1/2c + 2TBSP per gallon for 35ppt. That's why your mag is low. You're about 4c off for 33g system volume.

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not. That mixes up to around 32ppt. Most available salt mixes are 1/2c + 2TBSP per gallon for 35ppt. That's why your mag is low. You're about 4c off for 33g system volume.
I havnt checked the reef crystals, but I did have some water freshly mixed from yesterday, it was Red Sea coral pro. I tested it. Mixed to 1.025. Red Sea gives values for that salinity, I tested all 3 and these were my test readings
(Advertised/ test)
Alk - (11.5/11.5)
Cal - (450/450)
Mag -(1350/1200)

And these results were not rounded up or down slightly to make even numbers. These are raw numbers. I havnt read through the entire thread. Has anybody tested the same water with 2 different Mag tests? If Red Sea gave me a bag of salt and 2/3 of the elements tested exactly what was advertised. I don’t know if the test kit is inaccurate or the salt is off…

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havnt checked the reef crystals, but I did have some water freshly mixed from yesterday, it was Red Sea coral pro. I tested it. Mixed to 1.025. Red Sea gives values for that salinity, I tested all 3 and these were my test readings
(Advertised/ test)
Alk - (11.5/11.5)
Cal - (450/450)
Mag -(1350/1200)

And these results were not rounded up or down slightly to make even numbers. These are raw numbers. I havnt read through the entire thread. Has anybody tested the same water with 2 different Mag tests? If Red Sea gave me a bag of salt and 2/3 of the elements tested exactly what was advertised. I don’t know if the test kit is inaccurate or the salt is off…
Try rolling the bucket around for a few mins. A lot of the cheaper salts like RS and IO aren't homogenously mixed and settle out during shipping, or so I've heard. I made the switch to NYOS pure and haven't had that issue anymore. All my water mixes to 34.7-34.8ppt measuring the mix volumetricly and tests consistently with what the ICP results posted on the batch report. Easily worth the extra $20 a bucket IMO. Although a bucket does tend to last me like a looong time with my 20g nano.

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try rolling the bucket around for a few mins. A lot of the cheaper salts like RS and IO aren't homogenously mixed and settle out during shipping, or so I've heard. I made the switch to NYOS pure and haven't had that issue anymore. All my water mixes to 34.7-34.8ppt measuring the mix volumetricly and tests consistently with what the ICP results posted on the batch report. Easily worth the extra $20 a bucket IMO. Although a bucket does tend to last me like a looong time with my 20g nano.
Mines in the bag that’s cut open, not gonna be able to mix. My tank has up and running for 5 years. This is the first time I’ve ever tested the freshly mixed water. I run a SPS tank and everything is doing just fine, I use the reef dose 4 and have it dialed in nearly to the ML of daily consumption for each element. So I’m not gonna change anything based on this. That doesn’t mean it doesn’t have my curiosity. Lol

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Red Sea coral pro I just mixed yesterday so I read this and decided to test it. I mixed it to 1.025. The results are as follows (advertised/test) = Alk 11.5/11.5, Cal 450/450, mag 1350/1200

I have a calibrated refractometer and used salifert tests for all 3… as you can see Alk and cal matched up perfectly, but yes, Mag was substantially lower then what’s advertised… I don’t have a different type of mag test. Cause I’d love to cross check that result. Is it the salifert test? Or is the salt telling fibs? Hmmmmmm?
I dose all 3 independently to keep levels through the week and test every 2 days. So if the test is giving an accurate reading then I’m just supplementing the missing value in what I dose the tank. No biggy to me, but I could deff understand how this would be frustrating to some. Thanks for posting this, I wouldn’t have thought to look since my actual tank water always tests good.
I’m happy to read this Thanks as well to take the time to let me know. I also don’t have any other type of Magnesium test besides my Salifert. Would be interesting what others measure with a different kit. I don’t know if this is a thing… but could magnesium somehow dissolve slower vs KH and Ca? When I measured it again (left over in my bucket) It read close to the desired number. All of the salt was properly dissolved so it can’t be due to residue.

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This post isnt wrong.

I would still want to root cause measurement discrepancies, as OP is making potentially unnecessary dosing corrections, and may cause for it to not look great in the long run. If I was a betting man - that tank is not using more magnesium than is being replenished by WC.
I took your word for it. Didn’t even test may Magn. this time

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to the brand Nyos but it’s been mentioned here before. I’ll be looking into it. I’ve heard similar things about RS and that was actually why I made the switch to Red Sea. Now I’m thinking that it might have just been my refractometer that was off.

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow… that’s not good. I should have everything I need by the next WC. I’m super curious how much my refractometer was actually off…

ReeferZ1227

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to the brand Nyos but it’s been mentioned here before. I’ll be looking into it. I’ve heard similar things about RS and that was actually why I made the switch to Red Sea. Now I’m thinking that it might have just been my refractometer that was off.

For what its worth i use RS salt too, i mix the blue bucket with coral pro. It mixes really clean, fast, and remains consistent for me.

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what its worth i use RS salt too, i mix the blue bucket with coral pro. It mixes really clean, fast, and remains consistent for me.
Oh really? I’ve been constantly using RS in my 6g tank, but decided to switch to the blue bucket because of the issues I thought I had and also because I’ve been told that lower alkalinity sports brighter colors. You mix both blue and pro to balance out to your desired alkalinity… or for another reason?

ReeferZ1227

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh really? I’ve been constantly using RS in my 6g tank, but decided to switch to the blue bucket because of the issues I thought I had and also because I’ve been told that lower alkalinity sports brighter colors. You mix both blue and pro to balance out to your desired alkalinity… or for another reason?

If coral pro mixed to 8 or 9dkh i wouldnt mix them. I dont feel like reducing alk via muriatic acid. I also pump some of my display water into the fresh mix to further dilute it closer to existing tank water, then pump that into my sump. Alot of people do mix the two, most likely dont pump additional display water into their fresh mix though, thats one of my reefing quirks.

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If coral pro mixed to 8 or 9dkh i wouldnt mix them. I dont feel like reducing alk via muriatic acid. I also pump some of my display water into the fresh mix to further dilute it closer to existing tank water, then pump that into my sump. Alot of people do mix the two, most likely dont pump additional display water into their fresh mix though, thats one of my reefing quirks.
And you mix the two salts at a 1:1 ratio? Seriously, thanks for your time you’ve invested in this thread. It’s really been valuable feedback

ReeferZ1227

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you mix the two salts at a 1:1 ratio? Seriously, thanks for your time you’ve invested in this thread. It’s really been valuable feedback
Most that mix them do 50:50, i do 1000 grams of coral pro to 730 grams of blue bucket. So more of a 3:2, i dont do weekly water changes and i only do 10% when i do so i try to take advantage of the elevated ca/mg/trace of coral pro when i do. Keep in mind theres a million ways to run a tank, and i still have alot to learn myself.

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most that mix them do 50:50, i do 1000 grams of coral pro to 730 grams of blue bucket. So more of a 3:2, i dont do weekly water changes and i only do 10% when i do so i try to take advantage of the elevated ca/mg/trace of coral pro when i do. Keep in mind theres a million ways to run a tank, and i still have alot to learn myself.
I guess it’s all about consistency and stability in the end. I can tell that this is a hobby that will always keep you on your toes

ReeferZ1227

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it’s all about consistency and stability in the end. I can tell that this is a hobby that will always keep you on your toes
It all depends how bad the bug bites ya and how much of a fiend ya are. Some reefers do as little as they can and have beautiful reefs, others are sending ICP tests off monthly and pushing the limits with trace, aminos, and bacteria. Heck, I installed a whole home dehumidifier with a fresh air intake to increase pH.

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends how bad the bug bites ya and how much of a fiend ya are. Some reefers do as little as they can and have beautiful reefs, others are sending ICP tests off monthly and pushing the limits with trace, aminos, and bacteria. Heck, I installed a whole home dehumidifier with a fresh air intake to increase
hahaha I love it I would definitely lean more towards your spectrum.

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m happy to read this Thanks as well to take the time to let me know. I also don’t have any other type of Magnesium test besides my Salifert. Would be interesting what others measure with a different kit. I don’t know if this is a thing… but could magnesium somehow dissolve slower vs KH and Ca? When I measured it again (left over in my bucket) It read close to the desired number. All of the salt was properly dissolved so it can’t be due to residue.
How long after was that, I’d say mine was fully mixed for at least 16 hours or so before I took the test…and since you mentioned it I decided to do a quick search for dissolve rates. Magnesium is extremely soluble and dissolves much quicker and easier than calcium.. sooooo. I am extremely interested to see or hear how this concludes.

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long after was that, I’d say mine was fully mixed for at least 16 hours or so before I took the test…and since you mentioned it I decided to do a quick search for dissolve rates. Magnesium is extremely soluble and dissolves much quicker and easier than calcium.. sooooo. I am extremely interested to see or hear how this conclud

I just looked, on Red Seas website you can check your spacific batch for the ICP test results to see what they tested that batch at. I checked my bag, but it’s older than what they have available. The batch number is on the bottom of your bucket. Enter the info here https://g1.redseafish.com/mybatch/
See if they have your buckets info.

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long after was that, I’d say mine was fully mixed for at least 16 hours or so before I took the test…and since you mentioned it I decided to do a quick search for dissolve rates. Magnesium is extremely soluble and dissolves much quicker and easier than calcium.. sooooo. I am extremely interested to see or hear how this concludes.
Ha, interesting. This was after I think 2 hours total of mixing. This gets even more confusing now… I’m almost tempted to retry this again and see if the results come out the same again

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back