Maintaining nitrates and phosphates while keeping chaeto

Dave Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does one keep nitrates and phosphates at a slightly elevated level for corals, while also growing chaeto in a refugium?

I'm having problems with my zoanthid not growing, and some have recommended non-zero levels of nitrate and phosphates. Mine were at zero, so I've been dosing NeoPhos and NeoNitro, but it's still very difficult to get the levels elevated. I think my chaeto may be feeding on the nitrate and phosphates; it's always grown quickly but since dosing I think it's growth rate has increased.

Is it just a matter of dosing at higher levels? Or is it not possible to keep chaeto along with corals that have these nutrient requirements?

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
dose more. i would say 1.5x more, and if you continue reading low nutrients, i would re-test with a 2nd test kit or send an ICP in to see if it is just testing error/bad reagent. most times with macroalgae you have to dose more to compensate for the consumption. its a guessing game until you find the sweet spot. start slow and slowly work your way up in dosage.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just a matter of dosing at higher levels? Or is it not possible to keep chaeto along with corals that have these nutrient requirements?

What levels are you targeting?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate 20-100 ppb, Nitrate 5-10 ppm.

I tested again just now; I have managed to get phosphate to 9 ppb. Nitrate remains at 0.

In that scenario, I cannot see much benefit to chaeto expect pH. If a pH boost is the goal, I'd dose N and P and grow the chato. If that is not a goal, I'd reduce or eliminate the chaeto for now.

OP
OP
Dave Clark

Dave Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that scenario, I cannot see much benefit to chaeto expect pH. If a pH boost is the goal, I'd dose N and P and grow the chato. If that is not a goal, I'd reduce or eliminate the chaeto for now.
Yes, I should have said that I have chaeto for the pH boost, due to elevated CO2 in the tank environment. Before the chaeto my pH would range from 7.7 to 7.9, I now have pH between 8.1 and 8.3. I don't use a skimmer (seemed like overkill for my nano 13.5 gallon tank). I have considered a CO2 scrubber with an airstone, but don't know that it would work (inconsistent information on this), and chaeto *seemed* at the time to be simpler.

"If a pH boost is the goal, I'd dose N and P and grow the chato"

OK, but it seems like the chaeto is consuming the N and P that I dose, or at least just the N.

How do I get N and P to the levels that I generally see recommended for zoanthid growth, while keeping my chaeto? Or is it not possible?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure. I have some zoas palys and other softies and chaeto fuge. Last Sunday N was 30 and P 0.3 (not 0.03)

EDIT My chaeto is actually declining even at those levels. Not sure why that is but I just keep the chaeto for critters to live in. I keep chaeto in another tank that tested N 12 and P 0.12 but I don't keep softies in that tank but N and P would probably be ok for them.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"If a pH boost is the goal, I'd dose N and P and grow the chato"

OK, but it seems like the chaeto is consuming the N and P that I dose, or at least just the N.

Yes, it is. You are feeding it to get the pH boost. If the amount you are adding get taken up, then you add more. There's no limit to the amount of N and P that can be dosed. :)

There are lots of ways to raise pH, including scrubbers.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does one keep nitrates and phosphates at a slightly elevated level for corals, while also growing chaeto in a refugium?

I'm having problems with my zoanthid not growing, and some have recommended non-zero levels of nitrate and phosphates. Mine were at zero, so I've been dosing NeoPhos and NeoNitro, but it's still very difficult to get the levels elevated. I think my chaeto may be feeding on the nitrate and phosphates; it's always grown quickly but since dosing I think it's growth rate has increased.

Why are you growing Cheato if nitrate and phosphate are so low?

javajaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, but my question is whether it is even possible to raise N and P to levels that are good for zoanthid growth, while keeping chaeto, which appears to consume N and P.
Of course it's possible. You just need to dose more to equal consumption. Eventually your light or some trace elements will be the limiting factor for your chaeto and your n & p will go up. You could also trim back how much chaeto you are growing at once since you don't really need it to lower n or p. Just keep enough to grow out in future if need be.

Since you are growing chaeto for ph I assume you are only lighting it at night?

OP
OP
Dave Clark

Dave Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course it's possible. You just need to dose more to equal consumption. Eventually your light or some trace elements will be the limiting factor for your chaeto and your n & p will go up. You could also trim back how much chaeto you are growing at once since you don't really need it to lower n or p. Just keep enough to grow out in future if need be.

Since you are growing chaeto for ph I assume you are only lighting it at night?
I began lighting it only at night but didn't get a significant boost in pH. I than read that others have had better experience keeping it lit for 24 hours; I switched to doing that and got the pH boost I wanted. I'm now experimenting with a shorter light period (mainly at night).

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dosing continuous, hourly, daily? I avoid most zoas now because they go crazy in my tank. Highest tank is ~15ppb phosphorus, 1 > nitrate, and grows Chaeto like crazy. Years ago with the same numbers that was not the case. Changing to hourly dosing instead of daily was the difference. Just a thought…

OP
OP
Dave Clark

Dave Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dosing continuous, hourly, daily? I avoid most zoas now because they go crazy in my tank. Highest tank is ~15ppb phosphorus, 1 > nitrate, and grows Chaeto like crazy. Years ago with the same numbers that was not the case. Changing to hourly dosing instead of daily was the difference. Just a thought…
Currently I'm dosing daily. I'll try dosing throughout the day. Thanks.

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you spot feeding your corals? If you’re feeding the zoas and other corals, then that will elevate your nutrients. I grow chaeto to keep my PO4 in check as I feed reef roids twice a week. Even with chaeto running in my fuge with 14 hour light cycle, my PO4 stays around 0.1 and my NO3 around 12. I have a mixed reef with sps, LPS and zoas.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back