mandarin and wrasse coexisting

jeanjo85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone been able to successfully keep a mandarin and wrasse in the same tank? I have never even considered owning a mandarin fish because I love wrasses and they can cause the mandarin to starve due to them competing for the same food source. But lately, I have been re-exploring the possibility to keep a mandarin fish with my fairy wrasse and I am wondering if anyone has been able to do it.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone been able to successfully keep a mandarin and wrasse in the same tank? I have never even considered owning a mandarin fish because I love wrasses and they can cause the mandarin to starve due to them competing for the same food source. But lately, I have been re-exploring the possibility to keep a mandarin fish with my fairy wrasse and I am wondering if anyone has been able to do it.
I'm sure there are many tanks with both types of fish.

I have them in my tank, and the key would be to stock and maintain enough micro fauna to satisfy all the fish.

I can see that smaller tanks would have a difficult time though.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For sure. I have a coris and Mandarin in a 40g. The Coris is always hunting Pods too. I culture 10g of 3 strains of pod and 2g of phyto to feed them.

OP
OP
jeanjo85

jeanjo85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 40 breeder, and had it running for 3 years. I would assume, at this point, the micro fauna should be well established. But it is still a 40 gallon with about 40-50lbs of rock, not sure if that s enough for a mandarin.

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Train your mandarin to eat prepared foods and feed your tank well, there should be no issue. In terms of personality, mandarins tend not to give a f, so if almost any other fish tries to harass them, they just keep doing their thing with virtually no reaction.

I've had two mandarins, two ruby red dragonets, two pygmy possum wrasses, and a ruby finned fairy wrasse in the same ~45g. All trained onto prepared foods, fed twice a day, and everyone got along great.

OP
OP
jeanjo85

jeanjo85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for the info. Now that I know that it can be done, I will definitely look into that!
Train your mandarin to eat prepared foods and feed your tank well, there should be no issue. In terms of personality, mandarins tend not to give a f, so if almost any other fish tries to harass them, they just keep doing their thing with virtually no reaction.

I've had two mandarins, two ruby red dragonets, two pygmy possum wrasses, and a ruby finned fairy wrasse in the same ~45g. All trained onto prepared foods, fed twice a day, and everyone got along great.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very few fish bother mandys except it’s almost guaranteed with other mandys

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 171 73.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 41 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back