Mandarin goby

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dragonet.jpg Dragonets.jpg I have heard that they are not recommend for a tank that is less than 12 months old ? And although it is possible to get them to eat frozen food (my male & female eat anything) the do spend most of their time picking and eating and grazing. They have devoured my pod population very quickly and I have a 280g with 150kg of live rock and a refuge. Still have pods but not visible to us anymore (like they used to be )
I wouldn't be putting one in a 40g that is 5 months old at all. The chance of survival is very slim.

Nice to read this reply :) Wonderful pics of very healthy Mandarin :) Kudos!!

Bombertech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Barebottom isn't a big deal, an established pod popuation is though. Start putting in the pods you would like to dominate the system now and wait a few months to let them get established before adding a dragonette. I have a couple in a 25 gallon frag tank (48x24x6) and they just graze the rock/frag plugs all day. They will jump so cover your tank, screening works great if you need the airflow.

If you have a sump, set up a refugium area for pods to populate and multiply. If you are sumpless, hop on CL and find the largest HOB filter you can find. Gut it and set it up as a refugium with some chaeto or other macro to be able to set up a regenerating population.

Justin1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added mine about 6 months after set up, used red masago eggs (Chinese caviar) as food, then slowly mixed it with frozen brine and he started eating that

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lucked out with mine, she eats frozen brine and wil actaully come up to the the pipette that I use to spot feed and eat right out of it lol She is such a great fish!

Last edited:

WindeyD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost my favorite fish to a jump out; never again, get a lid ASAP

free4mudden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine for 5 months and he still won't swim out in the open. He hides in the rock 24/7. I've been told as long as there are pods in the rock he won't come out. I have never seen my jump, past or present.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frozen Brine Shrimp has very little nutritional value for the fish. Please read Feeding a Mandarin by Paul B. Aka the Mandarin Man :)

It's enriched and I also feed mysis shrimp and it grazes on pods too.

Lesley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pair eat anything I put in the tank. Mysis brine flake. & even try pellets from time to time. They do there beautiful dance every night at lights down and pick all day & I mean all day

Lesley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[video]http://www.livingreefs.com/threads/dragonets-trying-to-dance-in-change-of-poweheads-lol.49841/[/video]

This is my two trying to dance with a very recent change in the flow. They just cant quite get it right tonight.

Lesley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't get a HOB refugium??
. You seem completely convinced it's ok. ! There is a big difference in a fish surviving in our tanks & thriving in our tanks, we capture these creatures from the wild so we HAVE to give them the BEST we can. Not just average. But if you believe it's possible then that's up to you, your not the first person to do. & you won't be the last. I wish you all the best of luck & the dragonet as well.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 61 33.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back