Manganese high while Iron is low - How to fix?

vadryn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my ICP-Analysis and have 12 ppb Manganese and undetectable Iron. I dose ChaetoGro 1-2 times a week for my in-tank refugium, which can help iron, but my Manganese appears to be way above recommended levels and ChaetoGro has that too. Do i need to buy an Iron only supplement? Is 12 ppb Manganese going to get me in trouble? Should I just be buying a bunch of Gonis? :) Going to do a 30% WC tonight. Am looking for suggestions as my research hasn't turned up Iron and Manganese going in opposite directions. :-/ Attached my ICP results if that helps. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• test-result-SWNS-01826 (1).pdf
    26.4 KB · Views: 15

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can easily DIY an iron-only additive. :)

From Randy Holmes-Farely:

“One Fergon tablet (ferrous gluconate) contains 27 mg of iron. Dissolve that in about 27 mL RO/DI (my recommendation, but other concentrations are OK, just don't dilute too much), the concentration is about 27 mg/27 ml ~ 1 mg/mL.

I dose ~1 mL to my tank with a volume of about 300 gallons ) once or twice a week.”

Post in thread 'Dosing Iron to a reef aquarium'
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dosing-iron-to-a-reef-aquarium.1043092/post-12403503

OP
OP
V

vadryn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you worry about the pill coating? 1 tablet in 27 ml of water seems easy enough. My sytem is probably 75-80 gallons of water, so .5 ml once a week would seem plenty... and then another ICP test in a couple weeks.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you worry about the pill coating? 1 tablet in 27 ml of water seems easy enough. My sytem is probably 75-80 gallons of water, so .5 ml once a week would seem plenty... and then another ICP test in a couple weeks.
I'm not an ICP user. I especially wouldn't do one, just for iron.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only dose the dissolved portion on top; not the precipitate on the bottom.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No, all of the ingredients settle out or are not a concern.

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be interesting to see at what level of Mn would be considered "toxic" to corals. I'd imagine it would have to be much greater than 12 ppb, I think you will be fine.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my ICP-Analysis and have 12 ppb Manganese and undetectable Iron. I dose ChaetoGro 1-2 times a week for my in-tank refugium, which can help iron, but my Manganese appears to be way above recommended levels and ChaetoGro has that too. Do i need to buy an Iron only supplement? Is 12 ppb Manganese going to get me in trouble? Should I just be buying a bunch of Gonis? :) Going to do a 30% WC tonight. Am looking for suggestions as my research hasn't turned up Iron and Manganese going in opposite directions. :-/ Attached my ICP results if that helps. Thanks in advance.
Is the Cheato growing well? If the answer is “yes, for many weeks now” you are fine.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, the 12 ppb measurement could be 0, 6, or 24 ppb. Measurements can be quite variable down around 10 ppb and nonsense around 1 ppb.

Back