Mantle extension

nmds9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I have a question about the degree of mantle unfolding in giant clams. I wonder if the degree of mantle unfolding and the shape of their mantle is the same between each individual of the Squamosa. I watched online videos and found that their mantle can extend so much beyond the shell,
屏幕截图 2024-04-20 211859.png

屏幕截图 2024-04-20 211921.png

while mine can only reach a state like the one below.
屏幕截图 2024-04-20 211946.png

I'm wondering if all Squamosa clams have mantles that extend like this, and also if this means that my giant clam is being exposed to stress, such as improper light or water flow.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They over extended if they are short in light. Genetic of the clam also is a factor. Some clam (same species) will extend more in the same condition than other.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm sure I have the same issue as the OP, does my my squamosa look ok to you? I've had it three months, its very reactive, and under MH/OR3 lighting, but it has never opened more than this. Is it because it has sufficient light like this?
They over extended if they are short in light. Genetic of the clam also is a factor. Some clam (same species) will extend more in the same condition than other.

Thanks for your comment.

1713624014718.png

OP
OP
N

nmds9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm sure I have the same issue as the OP, does my my squamosa look ok to you? I've had it three months, its very reactive, and under MH/OR3 lighting, but it has never opened more than this. Is it because it has sufficient light like this?

Thanks for your comment.

1713624014718.png
It looks like a maxima to me.:grinning-face-with-big-eyes:

OP
OP
N

nmds9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering what causes the clam to occasionally spew large amounts of water from his inhalant siphon? This causes some splashing around my tank.

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for your comment.

1713624014718.png
That is a Maxima. It is at normal extension for Maxima.

ArachnoJoozt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering what causes the clam to occasionally spew large amounts of water from his inhalant siphon? This causes some splashing around my tank.
They can do this to get rid of anything that has entered the clam like small particles of sand. They also use this to move around a little bit. Adults also use this to expel sperm and eggs into the water column.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a maxima to me.:grinning-face-with-big-eyes:

That is a Maxima. It is at normal extension for Maxima.
Thats disappointing. Squamosa is never available in Canada, so when I saw this one I drove from Toronto to Montreal, thats a 6 hour drive- 12 hours return trip. It cost $150 in gas and $250 for the clam. I can buy maxima in Toronto for $150. Not a funny joke on me. --- Thank you for the ID

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back