OP
OP

10galtank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like diatoms/diatom film to me and diatoms not only appear in new tanks but mature tanks as well. Diatoms feed mainly off of silicates but also thrive off of dissolved organic compounds, phosphate and nitrates and silicates. Tap water can emit silicates andcause a bloom if you use it to mix salt or to replace water that evaporated from the tank. Tou can also get a diatom bloom when using RODI if the cartridge which removes silicates expires.
Good observation. I get my water from my lfs, I help the owners a lot and can attest to the fact that the RODI units are well maintained. I use the same water in my other tanks that aren’t having this problem. Nitrates have been stable in this tank since the start, slight fluctuation in phosphates— I only have 3 fish in there.

Any other ideas though??
I even tried blackout vinyl on the side of the tank facing the window…

OP
OP

10galtank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider getting different algae eating snails, such as turbos and cerith.
I have had both, unfortunately, they cannot really keep up with the algae as it seems to regrow the minute they think they cleaned it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Good observation. I get my water from my lfs, I help the owners a lot and can attest to the fact that the RODI units are well maintained. I use the same water in my other tanks that aren’t having this problem. Nitrates have been stable in this tank since the start, slight fluctuation in phosphates— I only have 3 fish in there.

Any other ideas though??
I even tried blackout vinyl on the side of the tank facing the window…
5 day blackout, add 1.5ml of hydrogen peroxide per gallons at night and add a pouch of chemipure blue to sump which keeps po4 in check

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I regularly run chemipure blue. Will it strip the peroxide?
No - peroxide is an oxidizer and will starve out the algae of nutrients

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
How will this effect my tanks nutrients? I may be wrong but I believe h2o2 will effect my phosphates. Should I keep close eye?
yes and wont affect nutrients

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 23 35.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back