Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing? (select all that apply)

• Ball valves.

Votes: 104 55.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 97 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 53 28.3%
  • None.

Votes: 40 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 5.3%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

A key part of most reef tanks and the accompanying life support system is the plumbing that connects the display tank to the sump as well as connects other types of filtration and equipment to the aquarium. As an integral part of the plumbing, valves allow the flow to be slowed or even stopped depending on the needs of the system and the aquarist. The most common types of valves used with aquarium systems are ball valves, gate valves, and check valves. What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing? Feel free to share pictures and any tips/recommendations about best practices for valve installation and operation. Additionally, please let us know if you use any other types of valves.

Pongo_Valves.jpeg

Photo by @Pongo

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tckcorals.com

TCKBanner.png

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not a huge fan of valves except for places where I need to shut off the water flow, typically from siphon points when I need to remove a pump for maintenance. More important than valves are the union fittings that allow me to remove the pump after I shut the valves so water doesn’t siphon from the pipes and flood the floor or overflow the sump, etc.

I occasionally use a valve to quiet down a drain pipe but prefer to keep drain lines wide open to minimize the risk of overflow from the tank.

Ask me about union fittings! Love them for maintenance access.
Season 1 Comedy GIF by PBS
Water Fix It GIF by Boomerang Official

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ive had ball valves all along and within the hour will be placing a check valve in the plumbing which just arrived from BRS
Two power outages in 5 weeks prompted me to order this

1711645794920.png

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had ball valves all along and within the hour will be placing a check valve in the plumbing which just arrived from BRS
Two power outages in 5 weeks prompted me to order this

1711645794920.png

I didn’t know this existed, thank you for sharing. I think I’ll put this on my return lines

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went a little overboard. Many will say you should not put a valve on the emergency drain as it is just another potential point of failure, but I wanted to be able to completely shut the tank off from the sump "Just in case". It is a $75 valve that I may never actually close, but it's there is I need it.

PXL_20230825_200516487.jpg

rc8t6353

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just one ball valve for now. But I have a box full of fittings and valves for when I stop being lazy and build a manifold lol

Attachments

• PXL_20240317_010254849.jpg
    PXL_20240317_010254849.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 20

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That won’t save you from poor plumbing design and the wrong fill amount.
I installed valve and it stopped the flow. Not sure where you are getting poor plumbing design. With a siphon break, the overflow stop but the return from the pump allows water to run back until return line WAS below water line. The valve stop that upon shutting the pump off today

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t find gate valves for the sizes I need, so I use ball valves. They work fine for my application on the drains.
search Spears Gate Valve, I have a 1 1/2 gate valve on my primary drain, either got it from BRS or Amazon. I'd be a little surprised if you needed them that big, you can buy the 1 inch double slip pvc spears gate valve off amazon for about $85.

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed valve and it stopped the flow. Not sure where you are getting poor plumbing design. With a siphon break, the overflow stop but the return from the pump allows water to run back until return line WAS below water line. The valve stop that upon shutting the pump off today
I run a back flow stop (flapper gate) on my return line to my tank also Vette, it prevents the tank from back flowing thru water inlet into sump. In fact I have never built a system with out a flapper in the return, they only cost about $15 at any menards. Can find them in the sump pump/plumbing section.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I run a back flow stop (flapper gate) on my return line to my tank also Vette, it prevents the tank from back flowing thru water inlet into sump. In fact I have never built a system with out a flapper in the return, they only cost about $15 at any menards. Can find them in the sump pump/plumbing section.
I know many with flapper and some ten years and it’s never failed them
When I did a test after installing yesterday- it completely stopped the flow

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will fail.
They all get stuff growing in them and will not shut completly when that happens. The work around is to clean them once a month.
If you plan the sump for the extra water, they are not needed.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back