Medusa stage hydroids... 3 weeks into cycle. What should I do? Any CUC that will eat these or should

Lemony Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 3 weeks into my cycle on my 90g. I don't have any fish in my tank as of yet either.

I have hundreds of these things on my glass (and probably my rocks but I can't see them because they're clear).

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1398878459.177872.jpg

That's what they look like up close. I tried to take a pic but I had to blur the picture and snap it through the reflection because they wouldn't show up in the pic otherwise so sorry for the crappy quality. They're the white dots on the glass.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1398878538.052009.jpg

I'm wondering about snails, etc. it seems I can't find anyone who has had a critter eat these except for one random forum I came across a person saying tiger cowries will eat them.

Has anyone successfully gotten rid of these? Will it get worse? Go away once the cycles done? I didn't see any of these in my other tank ever!

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated!

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The little small ones on the glass I have never seen cause a issue just wipe them off..

Some hydroids especially larger ones can cause a real issue and grow out of control but I have never seen the little ones on the glass cause a issue..

OP
OP
Lemony Lemons

Lemony Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The little small ones on the glass I have never seen cause a issue just wipe them off..

Some hydroids especially larger ones can cause a real issue and grow out of control but I have never seen the little ones on the glass cause a issue..

I've wiped them, they return within 30 mins!

GGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those type aren't the nasty hydroids that people freak out about. Is your tank new? I had the same issue with mine about a few months in after adding live rock. They eventually will go away on their own, however they are dependent on nutrients, so if you feed heavy they will stick around for a while. They will develop into white strings that attach to live rock and could sting corals, however I didn't have any issues with them.

OP
OP
Lemony Lemons

Lemony Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those type aren't the nasty hydroids that people freak out about. Is your tank new? I had the same issue with mine about a few months in after adding live rock. They eventually will go away on their own, however they are dependent on nutrients, so if you feed heavy they will stick around for a while. They will develop into white strings that attach to live rock and could sting corals, however I didn't have any issues with them.

Yes, new tank - 3rd week of my cycle so overfeeding isn't an issue now. I'm planning on moving over some of my 30g guys into this tank, along with my corals so I hope they're gone soon. I won't move my corals into a tank with something in it that's going to sting them!

I've got brown hydroids in my 30g. Pain in the butt. Working on those and a bubble algae problem at the moment too.

It's always something! I'm just worried about my critters safety, and the look of the tank too - white specs aren't pretty.

GGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DO NOT MOVE ANY ROCK OR PLUGS FROM THE 30G TO THE NEW TANK!!! Be careful or else those brown hydroids will follow you

OP
OP
Lemony Lemons

Lemony Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DO NOT MOVE ANY ROCK OR PLUGS FROM THE 30G TO THE NEW TANK!!! Be careful or else those brown hydroids will follow you

Yeah.. stinks because that was my original plan before I found those, once I saw them on my rock I knew they were in that 30g for good :(

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back