OP
UConnMel

UConnMel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! @Scubafrog @Dextereef @Sheldon Jessup @G_Sanab922

Well, I got to the point where it was time to add some water. Exciting, right? Turned out to be a bit frustrating in my case. Has anyone ever used this salt? There's two types of it: the "reefer" which this is and the "professional". I read great reviews on this kind, but the professional had some reviews saying the salt would not dissolve.
image.jpg
I'm not sure if this was mislabeled cause we CANNOT get this salt to dissolve. Not only is the water cloudy, but there are literally balls of undissolved solids. This water has been mixing for about 4 days and still not clear. Unfortunately I think I'm gonna drain what's in there and go with another brand. Does anyone have any salt that they love?
image.jpg

Dextereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used reef crystals since 2007 and have had no complaints. I switched one time to Kent and came right back to reef crystals. I also use ESV products to help maintain parameters.

jazonPartij

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Tropic Marin Pro and I love it. It dissolves in a matter of minutes and ready to use. I still mix it for at least 6 hours, but I don't think it's necessary.

Dextereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input @Dextereef and @jazonPartij

I'm draining what I have tonight in order to start fresh. I could never feel confident starting a new system when I have this problem straight out of the gate....

Don't mention it....it's what we're all here for.

That's pretty disappointing considering the brand and if you were a betting gal I bet it would be fine, but I agree with your decision. You can never be too careful, especially with all the dinero we have tied up in our systems. Best of luck to you!

OP
OP
UConnMel

UConnMel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
Ok, been a few days since I gave an update. Got all the crappy, undissolved salt drained and then had to make a new batch. I guess if that's the only setback I experience I'll be thankful (wishful thinking).

So now I finally was able to add sand and rocks. Did some limited aquascaping but gonna finish when I can actually see what I'm doing.

Also seeded this tank with some water from my biocube. Going to do a few swaps like that to shorten the cycle on the new one.

Side note: anyone else participate in the WWC live sale last night?! It was my first live sale and it was was so addicting. Here's what I ended up walking away with
image.jpg

Ahruk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really digging the minimalist aquascaping, can't wait to see what it looks like when it clears up... :)

OP
OP
UConnMel

UConnMel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really digging the minimalist aquascaping, can't wait to see what it looks like when it clears up... :)
Thanks! There's more rock in there that you can't quite see yet. I have awesomely shaped Aqua-tecture colums on the back left and right which I love. Will post a pic when you can actually see the back wall.

Reef_Junkies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great aquascape! I rarely see tasteful rock work but yours looks stellar. It's going to look even better once they get an algae coat over all of them :)

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order to cycle you be better of to take a small rock from your Bio-cube or a cup of sand.
You introduce a whole lot more bacteria and other beneficial organism into your new tank.
Just water doesn't have much in it as bacteria as we know don't like to float just in the water column.
Doing this way you speed it up a bit faster too.
Still looking at close to 4/6 weeks before completely cycled.
FYI, if you going through a cycling process you don't need your lights on.
It will take a few days for your water will clear up and mean while make it your own to start using your test kits.
looking good so far.

OP
OP
UConnMel

UConnMel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order to cycle you be better of to take a small rock from your Bio-cube or a cup of sand.
You introduce a whole lot more bacteria and other beneficial organism into your new tank.
Just water doesn't have much in it as bacteria as we know don't like to float just in the water column.
Doing this way you speed it up a bit faster too.
Still looking at close to 4/6 weeks before completely cycled.
FYI, if you going through a cycling process you don't need your lights on.
It will take a few days for your water will clear up and mean while make it your own to start using your test kits.
looking good so far.

Hi @Diesel . Thanks for your input. I had thought about putting a rock or two from my cube in, but the sand is a good idea. I'll likely do both - thanks!. My cube only took 2 weeks to cycle, but I had excellent rock and sand from Tampa Bay. I know starting with Caribsea sand and (mostly) dry rock will be a different process.

But I was pleasantly surprised today to walk downstairs and see the water completely clear! Can't wait to aquascape till I need a visit to the chiropractor :p

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side note: anyone else participate in the WWC live sale last night?! It was my first live sale and it was was so addicting. Here's what I ended up walking away with
So you were the one that got those corals:D Great setup.

chaoha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look great! I love the aquascape you had laid out. Can't wait to see it come together

OP
OP
UConnMel

UConnMel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you were the one that got those corals:D Great setup.

I know, I couldn't believe that I lucked out on a few of them. Wasn't fast enough for any of the $5 ones though.

Look great! I love the aquascape you had laid out. Can't wait to see it come together

Thank you! I'm trying to recreate something similar in the tank, but you can never make it exactly how it once was. And it was a lot easier on my living room floor than in cloudy water. :rolleyes:

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Diesel . Thanks for your input. I had thought about putting a rock or two from my cube in, but the sand is a good idea. I'll likely do both - thanks!. My cube only took 2 weeks to cycle, but I had excellent rock and sand from Tampa Bay. I know starting with Caribsea sand and (mostly) dry rock will be a different process.

But I was pleasantly surprised today to walk downstairs and see the water completely clear! Can't wait to aquascape till I need a visit to the chiropractor :p

Chiropractor...............?? Hoping that your LR isn't the cause of that;)
This hobby suppose to be relaxing and positive for mind an body.
Great to hear your tank cleared up, maybe just settlement from your sand.
When doing template aquascape I always take pics so I can look back later to copy or define it.

image-jpg.263990

Your creation........... maybe it will help again!

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be interseting to see how that rock does with the algae cycle . I tried a good sized Bonsai structure n it drove me bonkers.
It grew more micro turf type alage than coralline . I didn't have good luck with it . I constantly had to remove it and clean it .
Maybe you'll have better luck than I did .

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be interseting to see how that rock does with the algae cycle . I tried a good sized Bonsai structure n it drove me bonkers.
It grew more micro turf type alage than coralline . I didn't have good luck with it . I constantly had to remove it and clean it .
Maybe you'll have better luck than I did .

It's known that it will farm turf algae.
Had a friend who scaped his whole tank 180 gallon with this and no matter what he did it never did cycle.
He went from one mini cycle to another, even with two bio-pellets reactors and no fish we couldn't get the turf farm down a bit.
After six months we replaced all for LR dry and life and within four weeks he had a awesome tank going.
Maybe a combo of life rock and artificial will work but we didn't even try that.

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's known that it will farm turf algae.
Had a friend who scaped his whole tank 180 gallon with this and no matter what he did it never did cycle.
He went from one mini cycle to another, even with two bio-pellets reactors and no fish we couldn't get the turf farm down a bit.
After six months we replaced all for LR dry and life and within four weeks he had a awesome tank going.
Maybe a combo of life rock and artificial will work but we didn't even try that.

Ha at least that makes me feel better . That journey was about 3 or years ago .I tried it with real reef rock n some half dead totoka live rock .
Nah it did the same thing . I had a decent skimmer , sump/fuge didn't slow it down a bit .

When the tank was new .. this was an old thread I had .Bonsai rock is on the left easily identified .

aqua vida.jpg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, I couldn't believe that I lucked out on a few of them. Wasn't fast enough for any of the $5 ones though.

Do not feel bad, I got one and I usually do better. I was looking at the numbers of Guests, Members in the thread Saturday and it was averaging around 600. that is a lot on people. good luck with the setup and I look forward to see more of the build in the future.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 16 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 132 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.0%
Back