Methods for effectively suctioning up coarse sand?

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

So I have a semi course sandbed, and I've become a bit dissatisfied with the visual appearance. All the rocks and shells within the sand just turn green with algae over time. Even as I sift as much of the actual rocks, chunks, shells etc out, the fine sand eventually falls to the bottom and those remaining pieces end up on top and then eventually go green.

Ideally, I'd like to completely swap out my sand, or at least the majority, without breaking down the tank and replace it with a finer grade sand. So, I'm here looking for some suggestions on methods to suction/siphon out this coarse sand.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wet dry vac or just a 3/4 section of hose will remove it.
How would I create enough suction just using a hose?

Shop vac is more than I'd want to spend on removing the sand, I'd sooner do it manually than spend a bunch of money on a tool for this.

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just need to suck up water with it, shouldn't need all that much suction so long as your tank is on a stand. Suck some out, then put the water back (or replace it in the tank because it will be filthy in the bucket.)

1/2" hose is probably fine too so long as the particle size is <1/4" or so and the hose is thick enough not to close or crease.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I would get a 3/4" or 1" inside diameter plastic hose. Get it a little longer than you think you would normally need.
Get clear hose.
Just start the syphon with suction power. At this point you will see the need for clear hose and a little longer hose.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've also removed sand and gravel using a fish net, but this is messy, but your chance of getting saltwater in your mouth goes way down.

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just a bit skeptical as I've had trouble getting detritus out with mouth induced suction, so I'd be surprised if I were able to successfully suction up small rocks and shells, but I'll give it a shot.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just a bit skeptical as I've had trouble getting detritus out with mouth induced suction, so I'd be surprised if I were able to successfully suction up small rocks and shells, but I'll give it a shot.
As long as the base of your tank is higher than 24” or so, you’re going to have too much suction if anything.

To be clear you are going to induce suction by filling the hose with water then placing one end in a bucket on the floor and the other end in the sand once you induce siphon.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
To be clear you are going to induce suction by filling the hose with water then placing one end in a bucket on the floor and the other end in the sand once you induce siphon.
Oh, where is your sense of adventure? lol

Don't forget to hold your thumb over the end of the hose going to the bucket.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm just a bit skeptical as I've had trouble getting detritus out with mouth induced suction,
That's why I said longer and clear hose. So you see it coming and can get your mouth off the hose.

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not necessarily worried about getting water in my mouth, I just meant that it's been tough even getting enough strength to remove detritus, so I'm curious how well I'll be able to get up small rocks and shells.

As I said, I'll give it a shot though!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm not necessarily worried about getting water in my mouth, I just meant that it's been tough even getting enough strength to remove detritus, so I'm curious how well I'll be able to get up small rocks and shells.

scoop the small rocks and shells up with a fish net first.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I didn’t say how to fill the hose with water. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

I wonder if all the people paranoid about mouth starting siphon have ever been in the ocean?
Or tried to syphon gas with a solid color hose. Disclaimer: I grew up on a farm and once in a while I/we had to remove gas from one piece of equipment to gas up another.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No strength required just gravity.

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
syphon your sand into a sock in your sump and keep emptying the sock in a bucket. i do it all the time.
just suck on the hose a little salt water wont kill you. i syphoned more gas in the 70s gas shortages, i never lost the knack.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand is super valuable to balance in an aquarium. I think removing and replacing could launch you into a cycle. Get some HD sand sifters. Wrasse, conch, periscope snails, sand sifting starfish, diamond goby, etc. They can maintain most sand and leave enough alone to keep nitrates at bay. IMG_3531.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back