Methylene Blue

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Methylene Blue

What It TreatsHealing agent which treats ammonia burn, abrasions, cuts. Mild antiparasitic/antibacterial properties. Will possibly detoxify a fish that has been exposed to cyanide poisoning. Probably one of the best “first response” treatments for a sick fish.

How To TreatComes in both liquid and powder form, sometimes mixed in with another medication (e.g. Nitrofuracin Green Powder). So, follow the directions on the label. Generally used in a 30 minute bath at double dose, but you can also dose it directly into a quarantine tank. Aerate heavily.

Dosing instructions for using 2.303% Methylene Blue solution:

1) 30 min bath (preferred): 1 teaspoon (5 ml) per 5 gallons.

2) In a quarantine tank: 1 teaspoon (5 ml) per 10 gallons every other day for 10 days with water changes before each treatment.

ProsHighly effective “first response” treatment with minimal risk to fish.

Cons/Side EffectsMethylene Blue can destroy nitrifying bacteria (i.e. your QT biofilter), and will stain plastic, silicone, clothing, your skin, etc.

More info on Methylene Blue: http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumMedication3.html#methylene_blue

fritz-pro-methylene-blue-web-113x300.jpg
lg-905781-73462K-fish-297x300.jpg

Last edited:

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I've added MB to my medicine cabinet after @Humblefish advised it for some over-heated and more lethargic fish I had delivered (Too late for right then, but 4 out of 5 recovered ok) I had some questions.

It states it can also be used right in the tank at the lower dosage. I don't care about silicone turning blue in one of a stack of on hand QT tanks anyway so leaning to just doing that for the 1st tank in TTM, but ready to do a dip in cases where delivery was delayed or something looks really wrong. If doing so though, the information states it can be used with Furan-2, but what about other medications that could possibly be needed? Metro, kanamycin, prazi? Obviously, could just do the dip and move on or wait until tank 2. I usually use tank 1 for them to just rest anyway unless I see signs of injury, infection, but if the fish is already eating I will also often get the 1st round of prazi done and out of the way. I just don't want to end up making a poisonous cocktail instead of just moving to the next tank quicker.

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Humblefish ,

I got MBlue to treat my fish that did deal with high ammonia. I have the same Fritz product you posted pictures of in your post. The bath instructions say to only bathe them for 10 seconds, but I've usually bathed for at least 30 minutes when I've used other stuff like Safety Stop Part B.

10 seconds seems like very little time. Should I use a lower concentration if I'm using 1 gallon of water for the dip?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I use a lower concentration if I'm using 1 gallon of water for the dip?

According to their SDS, the Fritz product contains 2.4% methylene blue: https://fritzaquatics.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Fritz-ProAquatics-Methylene-Blue-SDS-2015.pdf

Therefore, 1 teaspoon (5ml) per 5 gallons can be used in a bath solution. This dosage will achieve a concentration of 6 ppm Methylene Blue, which is fine for 30 mins. A lower dosage (1 teaspoon per 10 gallons) would also be acceptable, although I tend to use this for prolonged in-tank treatment.

@mikeyn can verify that the above is correct.

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you cyanide poison a fish? LOL

I've used MB for ammonia detox / relief before but never cyanide!

Cyanide has been used for collection of fish for a long time. It's now banned in most places, and importers claim to not use any suppliers who do so. Yet, just like there are poachers just about anywhere, for any type of game, it's silly to think it doesn't still happen.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Sticky (Original Post) has been edited with new info. Reflecting up to date procedures and currently available products etc.

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Sticky (Original Post) has been edited with new info. Reflecting up to date procedures and currently available products etc.
@HotRocks can you mix general cure with methylene blue? I like using methylene blue on incoming fish to treat any ammonia, cut, scrape, or parasite injury . I also find it calms the fish from shipping and transfer into qt. I would like to do methylene blue and general cure to kick flukes when the fish comes in.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange question...

I know prime has poor interactions with copper. And we are always unsure if the water received contains copper, so no prime.

While temp acclimating could you use this time to do a bath/dip with Methylene Blue?

Weight the bag, using math determine the volume of water based on mass, and inject the bag with MB seal back up with tape?

Providing 1 small anti parasitic and antiseptic benefits. 2 increased hemoglobin. All before placing the fish in the qt itself.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back