Micro/Lord Groth rate

vvolfe1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got my first lords and micros around 6 weeks ago. I have them in the same area of my tank. I was just wondering if the Micros grow faster than the lords or am I doing something wrong with the Lords.

Darren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I will tell you my experience. My Indo Lords grow pretty quickly. My "Non Indo" Lords grow very slowly. At best I get 1 polyp every month or 2. Some have not grown at all in 6+ months time. I only have 1 micro colony and it has grown very fast. I feed them mysis and cyclopeeze about 2x per week.

Enraged

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You spot feed those micros I have awesome growth with mine and i feed every other day for now.
I was feeding Monday-Friday and giving the tank the weekend off but as Everything has been moved to my prop tank and my 6 line wrasse is only hunting pods at the moment I am trying to keep the bio-load down.
My micros I get an average of 3 toddlers a month with random babies.

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually feed a couple times a week. My lords and micros have grown good for me. Here are a couple pics.

3-8-07(far right) 2 polyps
CHR_6150.jpg

4-29-07 10-11 polyps
CHR_8650web.jpg

Enraged

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually feed a couple times a week. My lords and micros have grown good for me. Here are a couple pics.

3-8-07(far right) 2 polyps
CHR_6150.jpg

4-29-07 10-11 polyps
CHR_8650web.jpg

Very nice growth! thats about what i am producing now..

OP
OP
vvolfe1

vvolfe1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW Maybe I'm doing something wrong with both. If the dates are correct thats like a polyp a week. Awesome!

I just started feeding mine mysis and cyclops a week ago the micro has gained two baby polyps. The Lord has not changed in 6 weeks though. Would moving the Lords higher or lower help? Maybe they are not getting the correct lighting for good growth?

Enraged

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW Maybe I'm doing something wrong with both. If the dates are correct thats like a polyp a week. Awesome!

I just started feeding mine mysis and cyclops a week ago the micro has gained two baby polyps. The Lord has not changed in 6 weeks though. Would moving the Lords higher or lower help? Maybe they are not getting the correct lighting for good growth?

I have grown mine under both Aquapod PC and MH and feeding seems to be the deciding factor on growth and intensity seems to be a color thing.
I do like the color I get in my MH better for most of my Micros in general

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine about 2.5" under the surface (250w XM 20K). I like to cook them. I think this really helps with both color and growth. I have never grown them under anything else.

OP
OP
vvolfe1

vvolfe1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, This might sound like a stupid question but I've not seen it anywhere. I know most people feed acans and micros 2 times a week or everyother day. Is it possible to overfeed them?

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you can overfeed them. My Acan eats like 5 mysis shrimps for 1 polyp. Most my Acans are about Nickel to Quarter size. My micros are about dime size and they take like 1 mysis per polyp. Both are growing like crazy. I have one micro i started out with 3 polyps and now 2 months later it's got over 20+. My Pink Lemonade micro was practically dead when i got it a few weeks ago and now it's got 4 polyps.

RandyO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, This might sound like a stupid question but I've not seen it anywhere. I know most people feed acans and micros 2 times a week or everyother day. Is it possible to overfeed them?

I don't think overfeeding is a bad thing. At one time I was feeding twice a day. That was back in the golden days where Indo Lord polyps were selling for 50.00-100.00 per polyp. I did notice that when I was feeding them twice a day, they would throw up the food more often. Or maybe they do this every time. It seemed like after 4-6 hours I would feed again, and some of the polyps were spitting out food from earlier in the day. I figured I was over feeding them, and slowed it down to just once a day.

I've noticed good growth on both Acanthastrea and Micromussa, but Micro's don't need to be fed to get good growth, while my Lords needed to be fed to get good growth. Once I stopped feeding, the lord's growth slowed down.

My Japanese lords I got from Berlin Method grew very poorly, with only one morph(micro) growing into a colony. We'll see how the Aussie Lords grow, but I have a feeling it's going to be better than the Japanese morphs. I can tell ust by the way they heal after being cut and completing half polyps, that they are going to do well.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think overfeeding is a bad thing. At one time I was feeding twice a day. That was back in the golden days where Indo Lord polyps were selling for 50.00-100.00 per polyp. I did notice that when I was feeding them twice a day, they would throw up the food more often. Or maybe they do this every time. It seemed like after 4-6 hours I would feed again, and some of the polyps were spitting out food from earlier in the day. I figured I was over feeding them, and slowed it down to just once a day.

I've noticed good growth on both Acanthastrea and Micromussa, but Micro's don't need to be fed to get good growth, while my Lords needed to be fed to get good growth. Once I stopped feeding, the lord's growth slowed down.

My Japanese lords I got from Berlin Method grew very poorly, with only one morph(micro) growing into a colony. We'll see how the Aussie Lords grow, but I have a feeling it's going to be better than the Japanese morphs. I can tell ust by the way they heal after being cut and completing half polyps, that they are going to do well.

Great info and good to hear about the Aussies! I got some that need to grow for daddy!

OP
OP
vvolfe1

vvolfe1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I'd thank everyone for sharing their knowledge. I had free time for a change so took a good look at my tank today. My Micro has gone from 5 heads to 10 over the last few weeks. Five are of course babies but it's growth is picking up by far. Hopefully it'll be big enough soon to frag and trade for another kind or maybe an aussie lord.

Enraged

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing with fragging them i have noticed is when you do not let the babies color up before fragging then seem to take forever to color up on the new plug.
Could be because i only have half an adult head on the plug with them but it is taking forever for my last experiment to color up.
For now on if i cant get an adult at least 80 percent fragged with the babies tne i will hold off

OP
OP
vvolfe1

vvolfe1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I was thinking of waiting a few more weeks or until I have like 15 full polyps. Then maybe cutting off 2 3-4 polyp frags with babies. Here is a couple pics.
micro5-2.jpg

5/4/7
Micro6-25.jpg

6/26/7

jendub

Reefer Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love growth pics!!! It amazes me in the right conditions, coral can grow fast.

This piece of micro (aka Green Envy). Started off with one tiny polyp, puttied to a piece of rock rubble. It took about 4 months for this piece to really start to show significant growth.
Microfrag05-25-05.jpg

In pic 2, you can see the rim of babies round the mother polyp.
Microgrowth11-25-05.jpg

Pic 3 shows the 4th row of babies and finally turning into a mini colony.
microgrowth02-25-06.jpg

It took a little less then 5 months.

OP
OP
vvolfe1

vvolfe1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet, I like the color change too in the middle.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 124 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 98 33.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.7%
Back