Micro/Lord Groth rate

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love growth pics!!! It amazes me in the right conditions, coral can grow fast.

This piece of micro (aka Green Envy). Started off with one tiny polyp, puttied to a piece of rock rubble. It took about 4 months for this piece to really start to show significant growth.
Microfrag05-25-05.jpg

In pic 2, you can see the rim of babies round the mother polyp.
Microgrowth11-25-05.jpg

Pic 3 shows the 4th row of babies and finally turning into a mini colony.
microgrowth02-25-06.jpg

It took a little less then 5 months.
WOW!!!

what lighting were they under Jen?

jendub

Reefer Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I had it under T5s at the time. I use 3 different light conditions so if a coral is not liking one I can move it around until it is happy.

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jen, what made u use T5s instead of MH? What do you think about Radium bulbs? I am currently using a 250w XM 20K and I am about to switch to the 20K Radium next week. I am also using VHO actinics. I want to get the most out of my lords and micros.

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they like to eat.... ;)

don't house aggressive eating fishes.. my fairy wrasses like to steal their food... that's alright though.. I love my fishes... :)

I have been feeding them every few days now. They LOVE it! I am getting some great growth from these Aussies.

jendub

Reefer Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jen, what made u use T5s instead of MH? What do you think about Radium bulbs? I am currently using a 250w XM 20K and I am about to switch to the 20K Radium next week. I am also using VHO actinics. I want to get the most out of my lords and micros.

I love my radiums, the only minus is the expense on replacement bulbs. My T5s have 4 blue with 2 daylight which gives the same look as my radium. I have had good growth rate with both of them.

Ciao,
Jen=)

OP
OP
vvolfe1

vvolfe1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I was thinking of waiting a few more weeks or until I have like 15 full polyps. Then maybe cutting off 2 3-4 polyp frags with babies. Here is a couple pics.
micro5-2.jpg

5/4/7
Micro6-25.jpg

6/26/7

Micro79.jpg

probably my best pic yet 7/9/7 It's getting bigger

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, i never knew micros grew so fast
im just getting into micros again so this is good to hear

OP
OP
vvolfe1

vvolfe1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! What and how often are you feeding?

I've been feeding it at no set schedule but very often. I usually target feed my LPS mysis with cyclopse ease or coral frenzy mixed. My Micros, Lords, and favia I'll target feed up to 6 times a week and sometimes twice a day depending on quantity of food. I keep the target feedings small. I feed my fish often too a mixture of foods which is more for the whole tank. And then every other night I'll feed the tank some phyto and photo plankton. On these nights I'll turn my skimmers off so all the little pods eat.

I know feeding this much is probably considered overfeeding. It creates more work too. I also run 1 skimmer rated for 200 gallons most the time. 1 skimmer I made that probably is comparable to a G4 which I run every other day after heavy feedings. I also do a 10% water change once a week to keep the water clean. My amonia, nitrates and nitrites usually stay very low. The PO4 is the only thing that I'll usually have to battle now and then.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 31 38.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 41 51.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back