Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That device is patented... I'm sorry. Not my design.

I was given one by the person who made it though... for that, I'm thankful.

If the device is patented, the detailed description of how it is made (or can be made, at least) must be available online from the patent office. :)

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the device is patented, the detailed description of how it is made (or can be made, at least) must be available online from the patent office. :)
Yes, pending at the moment. I'll feel more confident to release when i get the filing hardcopied in my hand... lol I'm still an old school paper junkie for certs.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The device is patented. The device is patent pending. You bounce like this and it makes it difficult to trust you, and I really want to!

Reactions: Mel

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are different levels of understanding, but I think there are a great many people who basically understand how something like GFO works.

Not, perhaps, the majority of users, but there is also no dispute about how it does work. The people that do not know probably mostly do not care.

That said, GFO resellers are not all immune from making claims that are not true (like, the fact that it is irreversible).

It is, IMO, one of the disappointments of the hobby that so few companies really understand their products, or at least portray them in correct terms.
Agreed... many reactors use Oxygen as a binder... oxidation redox reactions. Correct?

The more reactors they add, in systems that have undersized skimmers or skimmers sucking in CO2 saturated air was the biggest issue noted during the winter and during the summers...

That's why we did say put the airpump in an area of FRESH AIR, not under the sump where CO2 and other gases are degassed from the overflow return... and exhaust for the skimmer...

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The device is patented. The device is patent pending. You bounce like this and it makes it difficult to trust you, and I really want to!
When you say something is filed, it's filed. What the lawyers do, i don't care much.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be so ,but it's better than I'm getting :D

And I think for this application it's more than enough to get results :)

I'm not so sure the bubbles are too big. I will be building a new device and will post videos when I'm done.

When the water is milky white, I think the bubbles are smaller and the output is more. Not sure. When you look at this video, would you agree that there's way more bubbles and probably a lot smaller than the air stone method?

Randy....what do you think from a chemist point of view? I just don't know. It would appear the more white and cloudier- the smaller and more populated the bubbles are.

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not so sure the bubbles are too big. I will be building a new device and will post videos when I'm done.

When the water is milky white, I think the bubbles are smaller and the output is more. Not sure. When you look at this video, would you agree that there's way more bubbles and probably a lot smaller than the air stone method?

Randy....what do you think from a chemist point of view? I just don't know. It would appear the more white and cloudier- the smaller and more populated the bubbles are.

Good work though... keep the idea generator going!

smaddox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had been fighting dynos for a while started the bubbles s few weeks ago dynos went away just to see what would happen I didn't turn the bubbles on for a week dynos were back in 3 days

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say something is filed, it's filed. What the lawyers do, i don't care much.

But that isn't what you said. You did not say it was filed, you said it was patented.

Reactions: Mel

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am almost disappointed in this thread.
I read many pages and most all of it is hearsay
Hearsay when people practicing this are showing results?

Wasn't that how a lot of products came to be in this hobby? The ones that had continued success either stayed or was improved upon?

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you said it again I will ask again what are the results you are talking about besides the two that you posted that my skimmer already accomplish for me and please remember it's just a question from someone that's trying to learn

cb684

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Squamosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think the bubbles are just fine in size, maybe not nano (although there will probably be a small % that are) in size, but close :)

Keep up the good work and keep innovating

BTW,you need a physicist for the answers you seek, so please, don't look at me :D

Happy reefing :)

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With your water "milky white", it's super saturated. With the micro bubbles at that level, all solid waste or any thing else will attach to those bubbles due to such a large increase in surface area on those bubbles. Based on that note,from a Physics point of view, I would worry about the amount of time your saturating your stock. Having said that, I would believe this method would remove more waste faster. But, if your dosing stuff, aren't you removing all the important elements that your dosing to keep in? Short periods of bubbles makes sense, longer periods could be deadly to your stock! I'm I missing something?
Just as in your skimmer, the smaller the bubbles, the more surface area waste has to attach. Therefore, the more bubbles you produce, the more output or removal occurs.
Go to the ocean on very rough wave days, the foam that is produced is light brown full of organic matter.

Last edited:

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you said it again I will ask again what are the results you are talking about besides the two that you posted that my skimmer already accomplish for me and please remember it's just a question from someone that's trying to learn
Your skimmer does not remove detritus from the display tank.
Does not remove excess mucus and carry it to the sump...

Squamosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
removing all the important elements that your dosing to keep in

Valid point here and one I was thinking about too (as I don't do water changes). More answers are needed here!

longer periods could be deadly to your stock

I posted a MSc thesis that showed under high O2 saturation you get higher growth, in Atlantic halibut at least!

My personal observation after 62 days of bubbling is, that the fish are unaffected, in so far as showing any symptoms of gas bubble disease is concerned

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your skimmer does not remove detritus from the display tank.
Does not remove excess mucus and carry it to the sump...
The DT becomes a settling area for undissolved detritus and undissolved organics... that's why it's necessary to go barebottom or vacuum the sandbed periodically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 160 43.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 127 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 55 15.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 19 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back