Micro Scrubbing Bubbles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

furam28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The validity of certain parts of this method has been verified by others, such as Diesel, in an earlier post.

I invite you to come onto my thread, where I will carry on posting from time to time and search, with the help of others, for the answers you seek...which we all seek :)

Were you asking me? I do agree that:

1) microbubbling can increase oxygenation, just like a skimmer does (but it depends on the air in the room. if doors are closed with lots of people, it may not help much).

2) microbubbling can float away organic waste to be removed by skimmer.

Both of these things can be achieved with 1) good waterflow and 2) a good skimmer. I am more interested in the actual effect of the microbubbles touching and penetrating the corals and fishes. There is very little long-term data on that, and no sound biologically plausible explanations yet. I was hoping to get some from Cruz but I find him a very unreliable source of knowledge. Chatty. Yes. Knowledgeable. No.

I will try to join your thread, especially for the pictures that you've been posting! Keep that coming.

Last edited by a moderator:

Squamosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of these things can be achieved with 1) good waterflow and 2) a good skimmer.
Yes, this is all true, well and documented, however, you are veering the argument away from the real point of the thread/s, which is not to point out what we already know but to see if the 2 points you mention are valid and have a basis in fact. Something I totally agree with is that this methodology needs more testing/analysis, but we are sitting at the cutting edge of reefing here.Trying to make an original, and valuable contribution to science.

for the pictures that you've been posting

And a lot more besides :)

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, this is all true, well and documented, however, you are veering the argument away from the real point of the thread/s, which is not to point out what we already know but to see if the 2 points you mention are valid and have a basis in fact. Something I totally agree with is that this methodology needs more testing/analysis, but we are sitting at the cutting edge of reefing here.Trying to make an original, and valuable contribution to science.

And a lot more besides :)

I'm blowing your post up and you're still here. I thought we were going over there? lol

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I join this forum – I got a message – Welcome to the friendly forum. I have been at RC before (the multichip thread) and after that experience I decide to only write in our Swedish forum. However - I thought that this thread is very interesting so I decide to participate but the development of the thread give me feelings of to be at RC again.

Why are people like me, Thalent and Randy and others so sceptical and want to know how it works in spite of the fact that at least I haven´t test the method. (However - If I get an outbreak of dinos – I´ll sure will test.)

I can only speak for myself. I have been working with complex biological system for many years – nearly all my life. There is somethings I have learned during this journey – you have always to questioning “old trues” but you must know what you are doing and always have a self-critical point of view. I know that every time I change one parameter - I can figure out at least 5 other parameters that will change too. And very often – one week after the changes – I have discovered at least changes in 3 – 4 parameters that I even did not know about!

To be a “doer” is good – they normally change the world – but it’s important to listen to people with knowledge – either practical or theoretical knowledge – in some few cases I have noticed that I have learned thing from them :)

My own knowledges has been built up from an endless row of mistakes (mostly my own) together with a theoretical base and discussions with others.

As we say in Sweden - A wise guy learns from his/hers mistake – but a smart guy learns from others mistakes. :)

This thread can give a lot of understanding of the micro/nano bubbles but it needs participant from all in a friendly atmosphere. I grow up under the era of Love, peace and understanding – this thread seems to at least change the last world to misunderstanding :) it was better back in the sixties :)

I hope that all notice that it is a lot of :) in this post

Sincerely Lasse

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I join this forum – I got a message – Welcome to the friendly forum. I have been at RC before (the multichip thread) and after that experience I decide to only write in our Swedish forum. However - I thought that this thread is very interesting so I decide to participate but the development of the thread give me feelings of to be at RC again.

Why are people like me, Thalent and Randy and others so sceptical and want to know how it works in spite of the fact that at least I haven´t test the method. (However - If I get an outbreak of dinos – I´ll sure will test.)

I can only speak for myself. I have been working with complex biological system for many years – nearly all my life. There is somethings I have learned during this journey – you have always to questioning “old trues” but you must know what you are doing and always have a self-critical point of view. I know that every time I change one parameter - I can figure out at least 5 other parameters that will change too. And very often – one week after the changes – I have discovered at least changes in 3 – 4 parameters that I even did not know about!

To be a “doer” is good – they normally change the world – but it’s important to listen to people with knowledge – either practical or theoretical knowledge – in some few cases I have noticed that I have learned thing from them :)

My own knowledges has been built up from an endless row of mistakes (mostly my own) together with a theoretical base and discussions with others.

As we say in Sweden - A wise guy learns from his/hers mistake – but a smart guy learns from others mistakes. :)

This thread can give a lot of understanding of the micro/nano bubbles but it needs participant from all in a friendly atmosphere. I grow up under the era of Love, peace and understanding – this thread seems to at least change the last world to misunderstanding :) it was better back in the sixties :)

Sincerely Lasse

I agree with you brother.

Join a few of us at the other thread. We just want to test and find out what works the best.

It's Squamosa's thread. Nearly the same title. See you there.

Squamosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sincerely Lasse

Here are some more :):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Ha en underbar dag

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not so sure the bubbles are too big. I will be building a new device and will post videos when I'm done.

When the water is milky white, I think the bubbles are smaller and the output is more. Not sure. When you look at this video, would you agree that there's way more bubbles and probably a lot smaller than the air stone method?

Randy....what do you think from a chemist point of view? I just don't know. It would appear the more white and cloudier- the smaller and more populated the bubbles are.

Smaller bubbles will scatter more light and look more milky white down to some size below 1 micron where they will start to scatter less again, and eventually disappear when really small. So for most bubbles, "harder to see through" should mean more bubbles.

But as to what sizes are desirable, that's far harder to suggest since there are many different effects being discussed.

Bubbles to scrub off slime (if that happens) might need to be bigger and be rising fast enough to pull it along.

Bubbles getting coated with organics and causing a feeding response (and maybe feeding) may need to be of a size appropriate for what the creature normally eats.

I think all of the small bubbles likely come to O2 equilibration reasonably fast unless there is a lot of organic matter coating the bubble. CO2 necessarily takes substantially longer since it needs time to hydrate and dehydrate to equilibrate. That can take many seconds regardless of bubble size. Still smaller bubbles may not necessarily be a big advantage from an aeration standpoint once the bubbles are already fairly small.

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Guys, we're all for having deep and even "heated" debates regarding things that will advance this hobby. So feel free to go back and forth over the chemistry and functionality of this technique all you want. However, the insults and unfriendly tone that has been taken by more than one participant is not going to continue to be tolerated. Personal attacks need to stop. Our forum rules state:

Be Courteous:

We aim to ensure that the forum is an enjoyable place that you want to visit time and time again. Our underlying philosophy is that the strength of the member relationships we build here is what sets us apart from the other boards - we are friendlier, more civil, more insightful, more mature and more fun.

* R2R encourages the beneficial exchange of information, ideas, and opinions and we expect members to do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated.

* Trolling or cyber-bullying are NOT allowed and are grounds for account restriction or banishment. Harassment, stalking or predatory behavior will result in account suspension.

* We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate ANY rudeness.

One HUGE thing that we want to distinguish R2R from many other outlets of social media is that we want everyone to feel welcome and respected. If we can't act like adults in here, this discussion will probably not go much further.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That design that's NOT MINE is patented.

3 others that are are pending.

Ok. So the patented design is available for public view. Please let us know the patent number. Thanks!

Reactions: Mel

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This doesn't take any energy, cost under $20 to make, is ball-valve controlled, and to be quite frank I think these bubbles are smaller than the bubbles I've seen in those videos you sent. Of course the video I shot was with my I-PHONE, so of course it has focusing issues. I don't think you realize just how small these bubbles are. Not to mention my tank is in the process of getting a new deep sandbed, and the water is already cloudy. Just wait till it clears and I shoot better video with another camera and also a underwater camera.

I was referring to the DAF video for wastewater treatment. Lol misunderstanding to what video i was replying to... sorry

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you brother.

Join a few of us at the other thread. We just want to test and find out what works the best.

It's Squamosa's thread. Nearly the same title. See you there.

So my first post on the other thread was post 81:
We see growth pics all the time like those in tanks that don't bubble. What would be useful would be two tanks side by side, run the same except for bubbling, and then comparison of fragments of the same corals put into the tanks at the same time.

This was responded to thusly:
It would seem certain commentators on this forum clearly do not understand that this thread exists here in this format, solely to share my experiences and anecdotes on a methodology that is rapidly gaining ground, particularly in my home country.

I am not trying to sell anything or force a particular style of reef keeping on anyone. What ever works for you, stick with that and comment on the relevant threads elsewhere if you so wish.
Keep an open mind here, lest you be judged by certain people but then push on full steam ahead anyway :)

Hardly a friendly welcome to that discussion to a very neutral statement.

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The science behind this, is that up until 2 years ago, we could detect nanobubbles with a laser refractometer and study their behavior.
And up until 5 years ago, we now can GENERATE Nanos... repeatedly

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you moderators for your patience with me. If feel very much that if we can figure out how to communicate about this, we never will, and that would be very sad.

cb684

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually very excited about this thread. There is a great group of very capable, experienced and intelligent people participating here. If one wanted to pay for input of this level on any idea it would be very expensive. Now, it is sad that very little was discussed. Very little input to help the ones that are trying to get some test going at a hobby level was given.

So, yes we could try to write a proposal and get money to test this the right way. And if someone with expertise in this field is interested and know of funding opportunities for something like this I am up for collaboration.

That would be ideal and all, but for the time I have some questions to have a less strict, descriptive study about this that can fit the pocket of some of us:

How would you measure bubble size and density so we are comparing apples to apples?
What parameters would be interesting to be collected so we can try to have a meaningful interpretation?

Anyways, can you guys help us to brainstorm about this.

Oh, and as you all already figured, English is not my first language.... ;-)

cb684

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, Let's try this with a different approach.

About

1. Do you guys think it is important to know size and numbers of bubbles / gallon injected?
2. If so, do you believe this would work:

Using a Hanna ALK colorimeter to measure turbidity:

To know the capacity of my bubbling system, them probably I would use something like this:

FMS: freshly mixed salt water.
M0: measurement before bubbling
M20: measurement 20 minutes after bubbling

M0 min - FMS = A1
M20 min - FMS = A2
A2 - A1 = capacity of the system to produce micro-nano bubbles. (20 minutes is a subjective number, it might need to be changed).

Maybe also a good idea to test this in a lets say 5 gallon bucket (or 40 gallon tank) filled with FMS

3. Any idea how this could be improved? (be reasonable please)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would you measure bubble size and density so we are comparing apples to apples?
What parameters would be interesting to be collected so we can try to have a meaningful interpretation?

Anyways, can you guys help us to brainstorm about this.

I'm not sure there is going to be a way to do so easily at home. Almost any overly simple light scattering method we use (like optical density) will confound bubble size and number. Maybe optical density as a function of time in a cuvette where they rise and clear over time. But somehow one would want to compare two different values, such as 10% transmittance clearing 5% per minute vs 10% transmittance clearing 2.5% per minute. The latter likely has smaller bubbles, but does it have more bubbles?

It is not a home method, but more sophisticated light scattering is one good way. Dynamic light scattering machines, for example. Malvern makes than and I've used them, but not for bubbles.

http://www.malvern.com/en/industry-applications/sample-type-form/nanobubbles/
http://www.malvern.com/en/industry-applications/sample-type-form/nanobubbles/

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cb684

Brother... As you can see everyone here is EXTREMELY passionate in this hobby... Yes... sometimes name calling, jeering, trolling whatever...
We are human... Opinions are opinions... we all have them.

The thing about these bubbles (nano sized) is that there is so much more to the world than we realize... Quantum physics, Marine Biology (constantly evolving), Electrical Engineering ( Constantly Revising what is safe in the NFPA 70E)...

Ok... so people think they know bubbles... well this micro-nanobubble is the 4th state of gas that, for some reason is EXTREMELY STABLE IN NATURE... many scientists are scrambling at this very moment to understand these profound properties of these nanobubbles...

If reefing was cutting edge, I would suggest we STAY ON THE CUTTING EDGE.

FORGET ABOUT ME... SAVE OUR REEFS.

https://staff.aist.go.jp/m.taka/nano-bubble.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 72.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 48 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back