Microbacter 7/Clean use with Skimmer

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of shutting off the skimmer for 4hrs when dosing MB7 or MB Clean in accordance with the instructions, would it be ok to just reduce skimmer pump speed and open the skimmer output all the way which would reduce water and foam level in the skimmer neck thus nothing collecting in the skimmer cup? Reason for asking is I would like to limit the drop in ph since I run a CO2 scrubber recirc setup which also pulls in fresh outside air to the scrubber. I understand that the inside portion of the skimmer body could get a little nasty but I can live with that.

OP
OP
Steve2020

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just leave my skimmer on
I have in the past also but I need to run a 14 day bubble algae eradication process using MB Clean, MB7 and Razor. I ran this process approx 13mo ago and worked great but when I did it the weather was good so I had windows and sliding door open. PH was not an issue then due to I have a lot of surface agitation. I am not sure how good this process will work with skimmer on. Skimmer can stay on during the Razor dose.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Steve2020

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the bubble algae treatment work? It may be less effective with skimmer on
It did for me when I did it 13mo ago. I did a write up on this site about it. I got the process from Parkers Reef on YouTube. He has many followers. He used the Continuum products which is exactly the same as Brightwell Aquatics products. Same owner.
Unfortunately I had a little bubble algae come back about a month ago and did manual removal from the ones I could see. I just got back from a 2wk vacation and there is too much to manually remove. It is is the crevasses of the rock scape and I have 250lbs of rock all glued together.

OP
OP
Steve2020

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the bubble algae treatment work? It may be less effective with skimmer on
Here is the thread I started. The process write-up is on post #11 if interested.

Joekovar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your process, what if instead of shutting down the skimmer, you cleaned the cup, then put it back in with the drain plug out so anything that gets skimmed just drains right back in?

OP
OP
Steve2020

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your process, what if instead of shutting down the skimmer, you cleaned the cup, then put it back in with the drain plug out so anything that gets skimmed just drains right back in?
Silly me. Never crossed my mind to do that. Sounds like a plan. Thanks for the recommendation.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back