Mike and Terry's 300g Reef

FlowerhornNYC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BEAUTIFUL setup Mike & Terry
Your fishes collection are outstanding. I've been following your tank thread in RC for awhile now & learn alot from you. I'll be setting up a tank similar to your soon. Thanks for sharing with us

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have exceptional pics! Your fish and coral are beautiful! Way to hang in there!

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank and an extremely clean install too! Kudos to you for keeping with it after all the fiasco!

Thank you skinz78! It really helps that we both share the same passion for this hobby.

BEAUTIFUL setup Mike & Terry
Your fishes collection are outstanding. I've been following your tank thread in RC for awhile now & learn alot from you. I'll be setting up a tank similar to your soon. Thanks for sharing with us

Thank you FlowerhornNYC... We've learned so much in this hobby from fellow reefers and if we are able to give something back by documenting our experiences, then all the better! Good luck with your new tank and looking forward to seeing a build thread from you!

Awesome set up you have there. Love the stand with granite top. Everything looks amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you Dave!

+++1 that i agree!!! Sweet setup!!! Would love to see it in person:bigsmile:
Thank you Reef lvr! and fellow reefers are always welcome. :bigsmile:

You have exceptional pics! Your fish and coral are beautiful! Way to hang in there!

Thank you Tonya!

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another Recent Back Office Project...

Our new water storage and salt mixing station:

As part of our sump room re-design, we decided to setup a new water storage and salt mixing station. Here are some pics of the work in progress:

The plan (Mike's version of Sketchup) :wink:

The 100g storage vats and the Panworld 150PS pump:

These vats come with a 1.25" threaded bulkhead. Kind of an odd size, and so it took some time at the box stores to figure out which parts would get the job done without some Frankenstein plumbing thing hanging off of them.

The idea is to be able to move water between the vats, recirculate in the salt mix vat, and pump water out to some other location with the turn of a few handles. We love Spa Flex and this seemed like a natural application for that - we wouldn't want minor movements or adjustments harming the plumbing, and being able to move things around a little to fine tune the fit always helps. Here's how the intake valves look:

Here are the outlet valves, positioned up on top of the vats, with a creative plywood platform to mount them on:

And this little beauty was installed just for ME! :bigsmile: Mike finally got tired of me freaking out about electricity and water every time I had to plug a pump in and installed a nice little waterproof switch to turn the pump on/off...

We are really pleased with the way it turned out.

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Recent Video

Recent under water video taken with our Panasonic camera:

[video=youtube;WIn-je_VUqk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIn-je_VUqk&hd=1[/video]

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Annual Reef Party

We hosted our annual reef party last night and had an awesome turnout. In keeping with tradition, we asked our guests to bring canned goods to donate to our local food bank, but added a raffle into the mix. Our guests received 1 raffle ticket for every two canned items they brought.

We gave away quite a few items, including activated carbon, battery air pumps, algae sheet packs, Marine Depot promo items, Reef Geek t-shirts, a TLF VeggieMag and dip and pour containers. The two top items were a Hanna Phosphate Checker and a $50 gift certificate to Live Aquaria.

We are happy to report that we collected close to 150lbs of canned and dry goods. It was a lot of fun and a great way to give back to our community.

We also took some updated pics of the display and thought we'd share a few of them.

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good guys. Sorry I was unable to make it this weekend. I was out of town but heard it was a good time. Hope to see it in person soon though. And a great idea with the canned goods. Very cool!

M&M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful setup and great pictures.What camera and what settings are you using on FTS?

JF2381

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous!!!
That is my dream tank...Too bad you had to go through so much to get it to where it is.

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for hosting a stunning get together Mike and Terry and YES the reef is gorgeous in person!

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Mike and Terry, your tank is looking more and more amazing with every pic. Congrats.

dtpollard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again Mike & Terry. I had a great time at the meet. Your tank is stunning; So much thought and planning really paid off. :)
Dave

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good guys. Sorry I was unable to make it this weekend. I was out of town but heard it was a good time. Hope to see it in person soon though. And a great idea with the canned goods. Very cool!

Thanks Craig. Maybe we'll see you at the November meet. :smile:

Beautiful setup and great pictures.What camera and what settings are you using on FTS?

Thank you! The camera is a d300s w/a NIKKOR 18-200mm lens. I set the color balance at 10,000k to offset the blue. The picture was taken w/out flash w/shutter speed 125 and F-stop 4. I do not possess any photography skills whatsoever, LOL. I just love this camera and spend a lot of time experimenting with it.

Gorgeous!!!
That is my dream tank...Too bad you had to go through so much to get it to where it is.

Thank you so much!

Thanks for hosting a stunning get together Mike and Terry and YES the reef is gorgeous in person!

Awww, Thanks Andy! Glad you were able to join us and thank you for the very cool chalice frag!

Hi Mike and Terry, your tank is looking more and more amazing with every pic. Congrats.

Thanks Brett! Yours is coming along nicely as well! :bigsmile:

Thanks again Mike & Terry. I had a great time at the meet. Your tank is stunning; So much thought and planning really paid off. :)
Dave

Thank you very much... that really means a lot to us. And thank you for joining us. We had a blast hosting everyone. :bigsmile:

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our fish love their Veggies:

[video=youtube;le-eLVH95bQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le-eLVH95bQ[/video]

Chops30

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tastey veggies. Just read this thread remarkable recovery, with a tank that's looking better then ever. wtg!!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back