Modify your Neptune Auto Feeder with a BOA Feeding Ring

rmchoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This how I modified my Neptune AFS auto feeder to hold a Building An Obsession (BAO) feeding ring.

My schedule conflicted with trying to feed fish several times day. I decide to try an automatic feeder. It made sense to try the Neptune automatic feed system AFS to use with the Apex controller. Intelli-feed has the same feeder design that could work for this too.

IMG_1657_zpshbf2xcf8.jpg

After using it, some of the food pellets sink, while others floated on the surface...and floated...and floated...and sucked up into the drain to sit in the filter. Now I know why they make feeding rings to contain the food that eventually make it to the fish, not the sump.

Building An Obsession makes some amazing acrylic products, but I had no idea they made feeding rings. I came across this on their website:

IMG_1660_zpsmmzonnz1.jpg

In the BOA style, it looked clean, simple and unobtrusive! Through trail and error, I tried to mount the Neptune feeder to the BOA feeder stand, but I could not find a way make it work. Great, another paper weight to add to my collection.

It finally occurred to me that both items had tank rim clamps, but I only one is needed. So I removed the clamp from the BAO feed ring and saw that it could be mounted to the Neptune feeder bracket.

IMG_1665_zpsmuv9w5r2.jpg

I placed the Neptune feeder on the tank to determine where the BAO ring should be fastened to the feeder mount. I drilled two holes in the acrylic ring and tapped the holes for a 1/4-20 thread.

IMG_1662_zpsuessemau.jpg

Then I drilled two 1/4" holes in the Neptune feeder mount. These holes slightly larger than the plastic screws. I picked up two plastic screws at the hardware...$.079.

IMG_1663_zpsl1omknpu.jpg

The screws cut to length with a Dremel tool.

IMG_1666_zpsyzaauhzf.jpg

IMG_1669_zpsd7xt3scn.jpg

So that is it for the DIY part! In this case, simple was the best solution!

OP
OP
R

rmchoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what the modified Neptune feeder looks like mounted with the BAO feeding ring. You can see the top edge of the feeding ring sit above the water line to contain any floating food.

IMG_1672_zpsh3pyrrz5.jpg

IMG_1681_zpsbfe3efnh.jpg

Here is the view from the bottom. You can see the feeding ring extend into the water.

IMG_1687_zpsi4dho3nt.jpg

IMG_1675_zpstxq41auz.jpg

Patrick Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello,
I was curious if anyone has used one of these on a rimless tank? I bought one of these rings and the feeder attachment that secures to the rim of the tank is not secure enough to keep the feeding ring in the water. So the feeder leans back enough to lift the front end of the feeding ring out of the water. Anyone else dealt with this?

Thanks

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is a great idea! HA! I have to share. @Terence

cb684

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a great idea. Maybe I will start using my feeders again... :)

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze makes something like this for their feeder. I'm just getting started and I'm getting tired of cleaning up food that the clowns don't eat ( believe me I've tried cutting down but sometimes those pellets just get stuck in the fingers)

OP
OP
R

rmchoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I added a second Neptune feeder with a BAO ring. So now I feed Neptune Crossover Diet from one feeder and Hikari Seaweed Extreme from the other.

IMG_2105_zpskj9h7sey.jpg

I had no idea how nice it is to know your fish are well fed with no concern for missing feedings. It is equal to not lugging water anymore by setting up auto water changer; or no more daily hand dosing by setting up a calcium reactor. I still feed nori and mysis when I can.

jhmeresqu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building an Obsession now makes a version with pre-drilled and threaded holes that are made to fit the Apex feeder and they link to this thread.

So Patrick, did you ever find a solution for the Rimless tank mounting problem?

OP
OP
R

rmchoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Changed light to ATI Powermodule Hybrid, moved the Neptune feeders back and trimmed the screen frame. Using Neptune Crossover Diet on right feeder and Hikari Seaweed Extreme on left feeder.

Last edited:

Lostreefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This how I modified my Neptune AFS auto feeder to hold a Building An Obsession (BAO) feeding ring.

My schedule conflicted with trying to feed fish several times day. I decide to try an automatic feeder. It made sense to try the Neptune automatic feed system AFS to use with the Apex controller. Intelli-feed has the same feeder design that could work for this too.

IMG_1657_zpshbf2xcf8.jpg

After using it, some of the food pellets sink, while others floated on the surface...and floated...and floated...and sucked up into the drain to sit in the filter. Now I know why they make feeding rings to contain the food that eventually make it to the fish, not the sump.

Building An Obsession makes some amazing acrylic products, but I had no idea they made feeding rings. I came across this on their website:

IMG_1660_zpsmmzonnz1.jpg

In the BOA style, it looked clean, simple and unobtrusive! Through trail and error, I tried to mount the Neptune feeder to the BOA feeder stand, but I could not find a way make it work. Great, another paper weight to add to my collection.

It finally occurred to me that both items had tank rim clamps, but I only one is needed. So I removed the clamp from the BAO feed ring and saw that it could be mounted to the Neptune feeder bracket.

IMG_1665_zpsmuv9w5r2.jpg

I placed the Neptune feeder on the tank to determine where the BAO ring should be fastened to the feeder mount. I drilled two holes in the acrylic ring and tapped the holes for a 1/4-20 thread.

IMG_1662_zpsuessemau.jpg

Then I drilled two 1/4" holes in the Neptune feeder mount. These holes slightly larger than the plastic screws. I picked up two plastic screws at the hardware...$.079.

IMG_1663_zpsl1omknpu.jpg

The screws cut to length with a Dremel tool.

IMG_1666_zpsyzaauhzf.jpg

IMG_1669_zpsd7xt3scn.jpg

So that is it for the DIY part! In this case, simple was the best solution!
Great idea. I just stole it and made something similar to work with my eheim. Thanks for the inspiring post!
1202181245_HDR.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.3%
Back