Mojo's Red Sea max LED transformation.

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice - do you have a PAR meter?
i would be careful acclimatinig. at that height and star distance apart i don't doubt you just doubled the PAR in the tank
also do you think if you had gone 16 blues and 8 whites you could have gone with non dimmable ballast like the 35-700?

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have but I wanted a even color. Not real spotty being that close to the water. I turned the timer down to about 4 hours and will work it back up slowly. Par meter died and sent it back.

jtl2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking build, can't wait to see FS of tank with LEDs.

John

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well it looks as if the old timer built in took a dive on me. So now I have to replace the timer in the hood or run the cord out the back. Not sure yet what I will do. I did order new fans for the hood so I will do that all at the same time.

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok a few updated pics for you all. I will have some more internal pics later this week when the new fans show up.
P1020737.jpg

P1020735.jpg

P1020734.jpg

P1020733.jpg

P1020738.jpg

P1020741.jpg

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so now we will see how things go.

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice stuff mojo,fantastic job.How long have the LED's been running on the tank,and have you noticed any change in the color of your corals??

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THe leds have been on for almost a week. I have noticed a little more purple in the tricolor. But right after I got them installed the one fan took a dump on me and then the timer went out. Bought the tank used and it is about 3 or 4 years old. So I cant complain.

Updates to happen this week.
2 new fans
I ordered these...
Newegg.com - SUNON KDE1205PHV2 50mm Case Fan

Plus I am getting micro bubbles like others with the red sea max. With or without skimmer and no matter where I run water level. What I have found is that it doesnt happen with one pump. So I have already made up some plumbing and am going to replace the pair of pumps with one Maxi jet 900 utility pump. the green ones. I will see how that works out.

Also Since the timer went out. I totally gutted a pair of digital timers. going to run two timers right on the hood and wire them up so i can have a dusk dawn effect. The powersupply for the fans with be paired with the blue leds. Then I will drop the stunner strips. I really have no need for them then. The timer mod should be pretty nice. I hope !

More to come.

Mojo~

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great. I like the coverage of your led setup. A lot of the led lit tanks have too many dark spots.

Yea main reason I went with 12 wide. only 1.5 in apart but really the only dark spot is the top front of the tank. you only notice at feeding time when the fish are up there chowing down. lol. once the loud fans come out Ill be much happier. its coming along slow but sure.

LOVETHISHOBBY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw the tank in person yesterday. I'm very impressed with the LED's. No black spots and the light spread was very good. I couldn't believe the intensity of the light and they weren't even turned up all the way. Great quality build Mojo. I was very impressed.

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey do you think that 24 LED's on a 45 thats 24x24x18 tall would keep SPS?How deep is your RSM?

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the temp compared to the old PC bulbs?

the temp seems to be cooler. it only ran for a day all closed up as the fan took a poo on me. New fans came in today. I ll get it wrapped up after some more internals pictures. and ill let you know.

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the 24 leds are good but I think fora tank 24" front to back will need more spread. probably 36 LEDS.

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What camera are you using on the pics?
CAmera is either my cell phone or I use a Fuji fz28 point and shoot. IT shoots in raw format which is nice. Really nice camera for the money. ABout $300 new. cheaper now. easier to use than a cannon g10.

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I got the timers put in. This is sweet. I now have two timers and seperated the blue and white drivers so I can turn them on at different times.

Ill get the pics up later today. Got that fans put in too. so quiet now.... any questions let me know as I ll be taking a few pics and putting it back together.

Mojo~

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I snapped a quick pic of the timers with my phone tonight and thought I would share. HAving two timers let me control the blue and whites separate. The fans I picked up are nice too. Really quiet and about the same output as the stock ones maybe more . not less but same or more I would say. Nice upgrade for sure.

0805002049.jpg

I had to rip the circuit boards out and remount them inside. un soldered the prongs from the board and soldered on leads. Not for those that dont know what they are looking at but overall a pretty easy upgrade.

Mojo~

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back