Moorish idol vs copperband with corals and clams

kevensquint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, so my supplier regularly gets moorish idols as well as copperbands in. After all the years in this hobby I've never kept either. I keep 80 % SPS tanks but I might get a clam one day. In your experience will one or both of these fish eat my SPS? I'm assuming the copperband will bite the clam but want some help from those that might have tried first hand. Thanks

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, so my supplier regularly gets moorish idols as well as copperbands in. After all the years in this hobby I've never kept either. I keep 80 % SPS tanks but I might get a clam one day. In your experience will one or both of these fish eat my SPS? I'm assuming the copperband will bite the clam but want some help from those that might have tried first hand. Thanks
Never kept them but looked into moorish idols, apparently very very hard to keep! Would research the heck out of those fish. My cousin is about to kick his copperband out of his tank for starting to eat his LPS and zoas after being good for 2 years. He doesnt keep sps so I have no clue there!

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had both. Idols need to eat multiple times per day. I feel it would be a clam eater. Should be good with sps . The rest I don't know. Copper band should be ok with sps.

topdogreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My copperband has not bothered any of my corals or clams. It's mouth is so small I have a hard time picturing it doing much damage to a large clam. Not before either the clam or the fish were removed anyway. I love my copperband easy mastick was really helpful in getting it to eat while it acclimated to my reef.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back