Moving 8 hour drive from TN to MI in 10 days

OrthoVet05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R!!

I am planning on moving my 75 gallon system, rock, fish, inverts, and corals from Tennessee to Michigan. I know this could take some epic planning and I have a power inverter to connect an aerator and heater to put in a 5 gal bucket in my truck through two holes with a sealed lid for the livestock. I currently have kept things to a minimum due to the age and knowledge that I would be moving.

Current list includes:

2 ocellaris clowns
fairy wrasse
lawnmower blenny
purple sea urchin
cleaner shrimp
peppermint shrimp
10-15 hermits
2-3 snails
Kenya tree
GSP
A couple zoas

A few questions... First... do you think that All of the livestock would be okay in a 5 gallon bucket for the trip only? or should I split them into 2 buckets with some live rock or just leave it empty?

Second, What do you all think is an acceptable method for transporting the rock? I know ideally, I would keep it in water that is circulating, but lets just say hypothetically that it is out of water for 12 hours, how detrimental will that be to kill off bacteria? Should I just throw the sand in a trashbag with a little bit of water?

I do have 4-5 buckets with lids and two 32 gal trashcans (water storage system).

TIA for any advice, tips, or comments R2R community!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well,
That's going to be hard to pull off.
To me you will have die off with your live rock, no matter what. It will lead back to a new cycle.

Can you have an fish store in Knoxville, hold your critters and fly them to Michigan, when you know that your reef is stable?

Or sell them and just start over when you get your tank set back up?

Tagging for more advise... :)

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about 2 or 3 buckets for live stock. You would need to keep the rock wet also. Use new sand & inquire if saltwater from an lsf is available near your new home. Do You have an rodi? make water right off to help out with Am spikes.
I agree with Vols it will be a tough move

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GoVols has a really good suggestion. Ideally if they can be held, and fly with you later then that would lead to the least stress. Long trips like this in my opinion are a disaster. If no one can store livestock then selling prior to the move may not be a bad idea. Having live fish makes the process so much more difficult/stressful. God forbid something happens to the tank and the fish have no where to go.

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard of people who've moved livestock in buckets for 8 and even 12 hours using battery powered airstones to keep the bucket aerated without any problem. Even though it's not a lot of fish, two buckets each with an airstone would put less stress on them ... and also serve as 'back-up'. If one should fail for some reason along the way you could transfer all of them to the working bucket.

I think you're bigger problem - this time of year - is going to be heat.

If you have an SUV with good A/C and can keep the water filled buckets from exceeding 82 deg. (84 tops), the live stock should do alright. Anything more than that and probably run into problems (too hot for some fish, hard to keep enough dissolved oxygen in the water, etc.). If it's a pickup, another option may be to make the drive at night when the sun won't be beating down on the bed/cap and heating the buckets up too much.

If you don't have the means from keeping the summer heat from warming up the buckets, you may be better off selling the livestock. And starting fresh at your new home in MI.

OP
OP
OrthoVet05

OrthoVet05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for everyone’s insight. I am praying that I don’t hit a recycle once I get everything set up again. That is my biggest fear right now. I’ll keep everyone updated and document as best as possible the move. Thanks!

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Thanks so much for everyone’s insight. I am praying that I don’t hit a recycle once I get everything set up again. That is my biggest fear right now. I’ll keep everyone updated and document as best as possible the move. Thanks!

If you move lots of water, liver rock , corals, fish and filter media you should be ok. just dont move your sand, mini cycle is invevitable.

That said, I strongly urge you to read my reply above.

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you should have many issues. Air pumps are your friend. Remember, almost all your fish and coral took a longer trip than that to get to the states to begin with. I would think, so long as temp stays reasonable, all your rock will be fine in trash cans. Maybe look into buying some cheap coolers from wal-mart instead as they are an easier shape to pack.

Don't let the naysayers get you down, moving a tank sucks, but you should be fine if you are prepared.

Edit: I would plan on new sand like some above posts. That is one thing that just gets too dirty to move.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a lot of the 'naysayers' are speaking from experience and trying to help you avoid a really bad situation. Like stated previously, it is possible to do but not fun. In relation to the "Remember, almost all your fish and coral took a longer trip than that to get to the states to begin with", there is very high mortality of fish by the time they make it to the LFS.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I think a lot of the 'naysayers' are speaking from experience and trying to help you avoid a really bad situation. Like stated previously, it is possible to do but not fun. In relation to the "Remember, almost all your fish and coral took a longer trip than that to get to the states to begin with", there is very high mortality of fish by the time they make it to the LFS.

No speaking from experience here.....speaking from absolutely bad experience. Did it twice, NEVER EVER AGAIN!!!!

Did I lose everything when I moved, NO, did I not sleep for nearly 48 hours, YES. Did a lose fish, absolutely. Did I lose corals, you bet.

You are moving to a location that is 8 hours away. Between your breakdown, packing, sorting, loading, travel, unpacking, setup, etc. etc. its a whole day move +

Your choice, I dont know how I didnt learn my lesson after the first time I did it.

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like a lot mentioned you will probably have losses. I have done the move 4 times long distance (1500 miles) and had losses each time. Some losses where my own fault for being worn out and tired. Big thing I learned, all floorboards will eventually get hot if driving great distances..

What part of Michigan? Been hunting for a house out there for a few months now.

vegamedic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what part of MI? we have a pretty big reefing community in SE MI and could probably help you if you're coming to the detroit metro area

OP
OP
OrthoVet05

OrthoVet05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m moving to Grand Blanc. Definitely looking into getting involved for the year with the reefing community around. Would love to reach out and see if any clubs are around. Thanks. Getting ready for the big hour!

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly doable, but I would just start over with the live stock. Maybe take the live rock, depending on how much you have it may be more valuable than the live stock. If you want to keep things cool just put some frozen bottles of water in a cooler and add as needed. My power went out during hurricane Irma for 7 days and I kept my 100 g tank cool the whole time with this method. I had a gen for everything accept A/C and no chiller.

U

User1

View Badges
I've not moved a tank that many hours but it is just logistics and planning. You will have a mini cycle though - no way around that(bring a bottle of Dr. Tim's one and only with you - will help). Having moved a tank less distance here is what I did with regards to fish, rock, and corals:

1. Fish - separate container, water only, so if I stopped suddenly I wouldn't crush them. You could fabricate or glue PVC pipe in place to give them refuge.
2. Rocks - separate container, water just to top, no more, racked, stacked, and packed best as possible to prevent movement
3. Corals - separate container, egg crate holding cells to prevent movement has much as possible, water just enough no more
4. Pre-made water moved with us in 44 gallon brute containers
5. Packed aquarium supplies together, clearly marked, to setup quickly
6. Placed tank, added water, rocks, corals, then fish - did not aquascape until later in the week
7. No losses but did have a mini cycle

You could do similar, add air stones, use Styrofoam chests where applicable (although environmentalists will get angry I'm sure), and make it work. Ice chest packed to use as you see fit. Keep out of direct sunlight so add shades to windows. Don't leave unattended. 8 hours isn't bad really and maybe only need one or two stops for gas and food. Eat in the car though while on the road.

Oh - plan for traffic. Drive at night if you can - may be better but check gas stations along the route and make sure you have a co-pilot to swap driving. That way you are moving along at a faster pace without speeding. Oh - one more thing. Check car before you leave. You don't need a flat tire or overheating or other mechanical issue to muck up your plan. Anyway - you get the idea.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I where you I would think about selling your live stock or getting a shop or local reefer to hold your stuff and then ship it to you

OP
OP
OrthoVet05

OrthoVet05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grand Blanc is around Fenton. So I got everything set up... however the one loss I did encounter is my main return pump controller has disappeared and I don’t have a spare. Currently running the rock with wavemakers and a heater in the DT with no sump. Also have the Chaeto chilling in there. Fish and corals have been doing well as I have placed them back in the DT. I will put my aerator in the DT to aerate the water. I dosed prime and stability. If anyone has any ideas, would be greatly appreciated. Will get a pump in the morning.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 160 43.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 126 34.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 55 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 19 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back