OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

"Just keeps swimming!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasn't there a thread about API with @taricha where they found the kits were actually more accurate than people were painting them as?

Following. Gathering the components for my own 10g + 11.4g builds. Research is the best part
I am not sure about the API, but I would be interested.

I thought that API test kits were more meant for freshwater, and then they were just like let's also advertise them for saltwater too... I am not to sure, but I already switched over all my test kits to Salifert, besides the API pH test, which I believe is as accurate as any other saltwater pH chemical test.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure about the API, but I would be interested.

I thought that API test kits were more meant for freshwater, and then they were just like let's also advertise them for saltwater too... I am not to sure, but I already switched over all my test kits to Salifert, besides the API pH test, which I believe is as accurate as any other saltwater pH chemical test.
Sorry, not trying to worry you. Salifert tests are great. Their directions are very easy to follow and they're fairly accurate. I use them for ca, mg, nitrates, and to double check my hannah counter. The best way to get good results from any test kit is to follow the directions to a fault and have clean equipment. Test vials that have micro-scratches or smudges can affect Hannah tester results, so there's no perfect one. You should be good.

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasn't there a thread about API with @taricha where they found the kits were actually more accurate than people were painting them as?

Following. Gathering the components for my own 10g + 11.4g builds. Research is the best part

*edit: I like the small blue legged hermits. They're probably not making a huge impact, but they only seem to scavenge dead tissue and don't really seem to bother anything in a major way.
I used API test kits for when I started my 13.5G and during cycling. Honestly worked just fine and I had ammonia and nitrite read zero eventually. My LFS uses them too, he told me that he can do multiple tests and get pretty much the same range of results. Sure, maybe it won't be spot on accurate but you don't need perfect, especially if on a budget!

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly, yep.

thread here....
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/d...ls-in-the-test-kits-are-actually-good.995639/

And despite being a huge fan of API kits, I agree with this for NO3 & PO4....
I hate to say it but API test kits are absolute garbage! Go with Hanna checkers for nitrate and phosphate,

[Disclaimer, I don't love all API kits: NO3 and PO4 have too much lot to lot variation - so I'll always opt for hanna / red sea there.]

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

"Just keeps swimming!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been 19 hours since I last saw my clown goby. I have checked all the rock visible from the outside, as well as the sump and I still haven't found him.

I hope he comes out to eat, but now I am starting to really worry.

All I have in there that I know of is a few bristle worms, 6 hermit crabs, and this one black worm I can't seem to identify. But I don't believe anything could have eaten him, right? He has to still be hiding in rockwork that I can't see, but I am starting to get nervous because I can see where he normally hides, and he's not there...

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black worm, size? Is it shiny or reflective? Lookup bobbit worm, many different variations. If you have a picture would help or is one posted already?

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

"Just keeps swimming!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black worm, size? Is it shiny or reflective? Lookup bobbit worm, many different variations. If you have a picture would help or is one posted already?
It's very small, width wise, I don't think it's a bobbit because it hides in a rock hole about an inch above the sand, then at night he sticks his head in the sand. It's hard to get a picture, because he is nocturnal and very sensitive to light, but he has these greyish white stripes.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

"Just keeps swimming!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw these two things... Anyone know what they are? Looks like some sort of worm burrows. I do have spaghetti worms in the sand... Maybe its something to do with them?

20240303_120042.jpg

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

"Just keeps swimming!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's todays update,  3/3/24.

 I am super happy to say that  both  fish ate again today!!

Yes, I found my clown goby! After checking the sump at least 50 times in the past 24 hours, I finally decide to take everything out, to make sure he wasn't hiding under the protein skimmer, and sure enough, there he was. It took me almost an hour to get him out, because the sump is so small, but I eventually got him back in the DT. He ate right away, and he is swimming around the tank so much!

I am so happy he is ok, I was starting to think he had died.

I also did a 2g water change today as well.

But anyway, that's pretty much it for today! I hope you all enjoyed your weekend!

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

"Just keeps swimming!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank seems to be coming along really well! I started around the same time you did. Curious to know what local LFS do you prefer? I’m in NY too and can’t seem to find anything better than New York Reef Aquatics.
Thanks! I am from Albany, so it would be quite a long drive, but I go to Eddies Aquarium.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, I found my clown goby! After checking the sump at least 50 times in the past 24 hours, I finally decide to take everything out, to make sure he wasn't hiding under the protein skimmer, and sure enough, there he was. It took me almost an hour to get him out, because the sump is so small, but I eventually got him back in the DT. He ate right away, and he is swimming around the tank so much!

But anyway, that's pretty much it for today! I hope you all enjoyed your weekend!
Glad to hear tgings are on the right track and you found the goby

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Wow great catch!

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, not trying to worry you. Salifert tests are great. Their directions are very easy to follow and they're fairly accurate. I use them for ca, mg, nitrates, and to double check my hannah counter. The best way to get good results from any test kit is to follow the directions to a fault and have clean equipment. Test vials that have micro-scratches or smudges can affect Hannah tester results, so there's no perfect one. You should be good.
I’ve heard that API calcium is one of the most accurate if not the most accurate test kits out there for that purpose, but after seeing how wildly inaccurate (because the color palette and associated ranges are so subjective) the master test kits are, I decided that the bad outweighed the good. Since my return to reefing about 2.5 years ago, I have not used a single API test kit to measure my parameters, except for those the LFS used to test my water. That was before I was able to get proper test kits however.

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Glad you found him. How does he keep getting in? Sounds like you need to get a fish guard

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

"Just keeps swimming!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you found him. How does he keep getting in? Sounds like you need to get a fish guard
That was the first time he got in, when the other fish got in that's when he was sick, and passed a few minutes after that.

I have a piece of fishing line tied over the overflow so that way hopefully will prevent him from going in again, but I also have my unused flow pump covering my so it makes it even more difficult for him to get in. This is only for a temporary solution, and I am looking for ways to prevent this from happening again.

He seems fine now, but he seems more active then usual, darting around in the tank a lot... Here's a video of him. I am sure it's normal, but I have never seen him like this, so I would just like to get others input on this. He also seems very skinny, and transparent... Anything I can do to get the transparency to go away, or is it not a bad thing?

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome video!
I’ve had a Midas Blenny get into the return once, back there for a long while. When I finally caught it, was pale and skinny. Horrible looking, think stress is the main thing. Mines healthy and good now, color returned in over time.

I’ve seen some DIY guards for the middle, can’t find them but I’ll keep an eye out! I prob need one also.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

"Just keeps swimming!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's todays update,  3/4/24.

Happy Monday, everyone.

Nothing much really happened today, besides the fact that my TDO pellets came today.

I tried feed the pellets to them, and nothing happened... Lol. The only thing that ate them were my hermits, so I ended up feeding some mysis shrimp for them to eat, in which they did.

What I plan to do to get them to eat pellets, is put pellets in the water with the mysis shrimp, so they hopefully will figure out its food.

They seem a little big for my clown goby, but he might me ok... I don't know. Also, the clown goby is doing great after the incident! He is swimming around a lot!

Also, not to mention, hopefully on Saturday I can get my 3rd fish, and a few new corals! It depends on when he ordered them, and if they are in yet, but he was pretty positive they would be here sometime this week, so I am looking forward to that!

My firefish showed a lot of attitude to some hermits today, lol. Not to sure why, but he would go and try to push them off the rocks, and some hermits went for a little ride. LOL! It was kind of funny to watch, but I don't know what made him have so much attitude, maybe a rough Monday morning??? Lol!

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great news on your clown goby and an exciting weekend plan! Good plan with the pellets mixing with the shrimp, I would suggest especially if it’s a fresh bag of TDO is take some between your fingers and turn to finer bits, should be able to sprinkle on top of the shrimp as it thaws it will absorb and stick. You can also do the same under the water with the pellets, that’s how I’m feeding currently cause my foods to big!

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's todays update,  3/4/24.

Happy Monday, everyone.

Nothing much really happened today, besides the fact that my TDO pellets came today.

I tried feed the pellets to them, and nothing happened... Lol. The only thing that ate them were my hermits, so I ended up feeding some mysis shrimp for them to eat, in which they did.

What I plan to do to get them to eat pellets, is put pellets in the water with the mysis shrimp, so they hopefully will figure out its food.

They seem a little big for my clown goby, but he might me ok... I don't know. Also, the clown goby is doing great after the incident! He is swimming around a lot!

Also, not to mention, hopefully on Saturday I can get my 3rd fish, and a few new corals! It depends on when he ordered them, and if they are in yet, but he was pretty positive they would be here sometime this week, so I am looking forward to that!

My firefish showed a lot of attitude to some hermits today, lol. Not to sure why, but he would go and try to push them off the rocks, and some hermits went for a little ride. LOL! It was kind of funny to watch, but I don't know what made him have so much attitude, maybe a rough Monday morning??? Lol!
Cool cool cool! Excited to see what fish and coral you might add!!

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 19 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back