My 150dd build

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Falconerr, so I have a very similar tank (visio 140 cube) and figured I would pass along how I had done some things, we seem to think alike in many areas!

My build is here if you would like to check it out, feel free to provide input, I am always interested in others opinions:
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/club-cube/150802-neverlosts-140g-cube-paradise.html

I used WP40's controlled by my Apex for flow and they have done an incredible job, I have them both attached to the corner overflow (pointing a bit away from each other and toward the opposite corner of the tank). I also decided to ditch MP40s for some more customize-able flow.

You will be glad to have the 10g ATO res, since your calculation is pretty spot on with about 1-1.5g/day of evaporation. I use canopy fans 24/7 and had a 15g reservoir made and am glad that I didn't just use my old 5g reservoir.

I am using a seaswirl return which made the screen top a bit challenging, will you use any canopy or going for the open top look?

I am excited to see the aquascape, it sounds like you have a great plan for the tank. I'll be following along!

OP
OP
falconerr

falconerr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on not using a canopy and staying open for this build. How do you like the wp40's is it too much or just right. I have been looking at them for the money they look awesome but too many times in this hobby I have found buy cheap buy twice or maybe even a third time.

Sent from my SCH-I545

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to jinx them but they have been going strong for three months no problem, in fact i haven't talked to anyone personally who has had one fail. Plus you could replace them one a year and still be ahead of the vortech (my vortechs used to suffer broken wet ends once every two years).

Power wise they can be easily tweaked, i have my apex running them (very easy mod) so i can alter their power easily. Even with the stock controller there are lower and higher power options.

I am not big on the jebao main drive pumps but i like the WP series.

Either way, open top is cool! Did you mention a bulb/wattage of choice? Going to supplement with LED?

OP
OP
falconerr

falconerr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna be running 400 watt radiums. It's funny you responded because I have been looking at your build thread this morning. It's very nice especially your canopy fix that was very inventive. As far as the wp40's go I am still a little ways of from buying powerheads right now. Bunch of people in the local club here are running them so I have been watching to see if anyone has problems with them.

Sent from my SCH-I545

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my 5th tank build and on every one of them I wanted so badly to try 400W radiums! Always found some distraction or deal or limitation on my setup that led me away from their use. So I am officially jealous, I've seen that light in action and man it works terrific.

Open top should help with heat, any plans for a chiller for summer months?

I am jealous of that sump as well, very cool looking!

OP
OP
falconerr

falconerr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bu7uqu2a.jpg

That is my old 120gal acrylic tank that I previously had. Also 400 watt radiums and no chiller exhaust fans only.

Sent from my SCH-I545

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I am running short of room under my tank I am looking at getting aquabox to build me a 10gal ato reservoir. Picture is black but they can make it in white to match my sump.
yragebev.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545

I like that 10 gallon reservoir Bobby pretty sweet.

OP
OP
falconerr

falconerr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got them to come up with some dimensions for a 5 gallon version just incase the 10 gallon won't fit. Obviously I would like the 10 gal but space is an issue.

Sent from my SCH-I545

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks great!

OP
OP
falconerr

falconerr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No new progress as of know but skimmer,rock and sand soon to come. But new rodi filters and new 400 watt radium on the way. Been working out of town a lot so progress will be slow. But will post updates as they happen.

Sent from my SCH-I545

OP
OP
falconerr

falconerr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank cleaned and draining rock and sand ordered. Going to add another piece of black vinyl to the other side up next to the wall.
uploadfromtaptalk1395586803320.jpg

Last edited:

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When is that new skimmer coming!! Cant wait to see it!

OP
OP
falconerr

falconerr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure when it will be here shipped Monday 4/7/14. Tracking info not giving me estimated delivery day.

OP
OP
falconerr

falconerr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got back in town and got my skimmer installed and my wife and I got started playing with the first order of rock. Please be honest about the rock work any suggestions will be appreciated. Now to the pics!!!
uploadfromtaptalk1397353657837.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back