MY 180 gallon build

Michael Yager

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I got the itch to upgrade my reef system. I am currently running a 90 gallon system with a Marineland Reef Ready tank. My plan is to have a reef system that is fully automated. After months of research, I ordered my tank from Planet Aquariums (and it is a masterpiece) and started to build my aquarium stand. I want my stand to be able to support this tank WITHOUT center supports on the front. To be able to accomplish this, I framed it out of 2" X 8" solid red oak. I then laminated a 2X4 piece of oak to that to support the cross braces. I can say that it should hold a ton.
I have been collecting components for the last 2 months also. I still need 75-100 pounds of rock and aquascape the tank before I can add any water.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

OP
OP
Michael Yager

Michael Yager

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have never been good at recording progress as that breaks the rhythm. I have the new tank filled with water, sand and some rock. I do not plan on adding more than 20 pounds of rock as I will depend on MarinePure Block to handle the bio-load. I currently have 3 shrimp in some nylon trying to jump start the cycling process. I an running 1.33 cups of Rox .08 active carbon. I am going to convert my other reactor into a recurculating bio carbon reactor. So, now for the wait. At least it gives me time to skin the tank

By the way, the Kessil AP-700 is awesome
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

OP
OP
Michael Yager

Michael Yager

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, waiting, waiting and more waiting. What should I do with my free time while waiting for the tank to cycle? I know, let's check out some YouTube videos of other tanks. Not such a good idea as I saw a reefer with a "display" refugium. I wanted one also. Back to the lfs to get a tank to use as a "display" refugium. Picked up a tank, ghost overflow, stand, light, 80 pounds of sand and a lid. First step, get home and drill the tank. Long story short, two days later and here is what I have.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Refugium on the left, 74 gallon cube, DT on right. I wanted to go this route because I want the DT to be an SPS tank. I will have around 20 fish in the tank but wanted to keep the aquascape minimalistic (less is more) so with the refugium, I have about 100 pounds of cured live rock with an additional 100 pounds in the DT. I also have a large 8x8x4 marine pure block in the sand bed of the refugium along with a DSB. BioFilter should not be a problem. Next step hooking up my ATO and figure out AWC using the Apex DOS.

OP
OP
Michael Yager

Michael Yager

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a little work on Wednesday. Trying to clean up the power supply mess behind the display tank as well as hide the pipes going from the display refugium to the sump.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpeg

I still need to build and install the door that goes in front of the power supply's. I do run a full Apex system as well as have a Kessil AP 700 in use with my 3 Kessil A360W's so I sacrificed my older IPad for use with the aquarium.

Busa1340

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, waiting, waiting and more waiting. What should I do with my free time while waiting for the tank to cycle? I know, let's check out some YouTube videos of other tanks. Not such a good idea as I saw a reefer with a "display" refugium. I wanted one also. Back to the lfs to get a tank to use as a "display" refugium. Picked up a tank, ghost overflow, stand, light, 80 pounds of sand and a lid. First step, get home and drill the tank. Long story short, two days later and here is what I have.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Refugium on the left, 74 gallon cube, DT on right. I wanted to go this route because I want the DT to be an SPS tank. I will have around 20 fish in the tank but wanted to keep the aquascape minimalistic (less is more) so with the refugium, I have about 100 pounds of cured live rock with an additional 100 pounds in the DT. I also have a large 8x8x4 marine pure block in the sand bed of the refugium along with a DSB. BioFilter should not be a problem. Next step hooking up my ATO and figure out AWC using the Apex DOS.
Nice setup! Are you running the marinpure block alone? Or with cheato also?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's looking great!

OP
OP
Michael Yager

Michael Yager

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Busa1340, I put the MarinePure block in the back corner of the display refugium and put 3" of sand over it. I currently have cheato in my sump but do not expect it to last to long. I am running a GAC reactor, a GFO reactor and dosing vinegar to the system. Hopefully in the next 4-6 weeks there will not be enough to nutrients to support the cheato. I also plan on setting up a automatic water change (3 gal per day) system tomorrow using a Apex DOS.

Revhtree, thank you.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back