My First SW Tank: Feedback and Advice?

aceer15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I had a pretty major overhaul to my tank recently when I met a guy off CL who was breaking down his tank and selling off some coral.
NC.jpg
The birdsnest is the stick in the upper right of the rock.

Solid lookin tank brother, still think you need to get some ATI bulbs, it'd bring out a lot more colors in your tank and allow everything to color up more. Right now they're missing the blue and purple part of the spectrum which will bring out the florescent colors in each of the corals.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good!

OP
OP

12cahill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys!

In regards to the ATI bulbs, does it increase coral growth or just the aesthetics of the tank?

Thanks Slate744, Can anyone tell me what the coral next to the green star polyps is? When I arranged everything the green of the righter coral was differentiated from the purple of the recoiled polyps, but in the picture the two seem to blend together. I'll get a better picture later!

aceer15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next to the GSP looks like some blue sympodium coral possibly. I noticed a pretty dramatic increase in growth with ATI bulbs, as well as an increase in coral color under the light and natural color in white light. You wont regret it man.

OP
OP

12cahill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, been a while since I last updated. Here's a picture of my tank (excuse the heater in the shot).
WP_20141017_17_39_26_Pro.jpg

No new fish or corals, but as you can see the purple algae is becoming a problem. I change the water (about 40%?) every week or so. Is the algae just because the tank is so small? From FW experience I know algae is cut down if you have other plants to soak up the ammonia and nutrients. Would adding more coral cut down on the purple spots?

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good so far, I would make sure you don't add any more fish. The clown and the blenny would be all I would do from a territory/bioload perspective.

aceer15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the purple algae I'm seeing is coraline which is good. Get an algae scraper or use an expired credit card/gift card and you can scrape it off. It's a sign of a more established/mature tank.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 47 41.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 20 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back