OP
OP
ManOfSalt

ManOfSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found some new critters! Getting ID's on the first two now.

Whatever this worm is, it's not a fan of light. It was nice and chilled out before I turned on the lights and then right when I turned them on it began to run for cover lol. Sorry buddy...unless you're dangerous in which case I know where you are >()
[video=youtube_share;c_SBlsu-d6Y]http://youtu.be/c_SBlsu-d6Y[/video]

Another nocturnal critter. Very zippy!
[video=youtube_share;JhvK-AWE7Cw]http://youtu.be/JhvK-AWE7Cw[/video]

I turn my head for a few seconds and then turn back and I see this!
[video=youtube_share;tqsjI5wDGUo]http://youtu.be/tqsjI5wDGUo[/video]

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure the first creature is a bristle worm and for the most part they are not harmful. They can be pretty effective at cleaning up a tank and if you start to see too many then you can employ a wrasse to help keep them in check. I have no idea what that fast zippy thing was, never saw anything like that! For some reason I couldn't view the last video. So there's my .02 cents for what its worth.

OP
OP
ManOfSalt

ManOfSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worth more than you think Dawn! Thanks a bunch.

According to Mike J, the first one is a Eunice and he says I should pull it out of my tank as there are many nightmares based around it. I'm arranging a hunt tonight to extract it and do some more research. The zippy creature he says is an Epitoke which is apparently a worm at the early stages of reproduction. Hopefully not to grow up into one of the harmful ones. Sorry the last one didn't play for you! It's one of the brittle sea stars finding a new home in one of the rocks :) I marked it as private for some reason. You should be able to see it now :)

OP
OP
ManOfSalt

ManOfSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL I know right?? It most certainly keeps things interesting during the cycle. There's been a new discovery every single day!

OP
OP
ManOfSalt

ManOfSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Neried worm! Or at least I think it is.

[video=youtube_share;72ypNRth26g]http://youtu.be/72ypNRth26g[/video]

And also some really weird white / slimey stuff that seems to be spreading on some of my rock. I would like to think it's cyano but it seems like it's too early in the cycle for that. Ever seen this before?
IMG_0214.jpg

And some Zoa's!!!
IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Neried worm! Or at least I think it is.

[video=youtube_share;72ypNRth26g]http://youtu.be/72ypNRth26g[/video]

And also some really weird white / slimey stuff that seems to be spreading on some of my rock. I would like to think it's cyano but it seems like it's too early in the cycle for that. Ever seen this before?
IMG_0214.jpg

And some Zoa's!!!
IMG_0244.jpg
IMG_0240.jpg

I'm not sure what that is but I think my tank had it at one time but I don't have it now. Is it more in the shaded areas of the rock or exposed to the light? Some sponges will grow in the shaded areas????

OP
OP
ManOfSalt

ManOfSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what that is but I think my tank had it at one time but I don't have it now. Is it more in the shaded areas of the rock or exposed to the light? Some sponges will grow in the shaded areas????

It seems to be in the open in all the places that it's growing. Every now and then it like squirts some of the white stuff out and it floats around the tank. It makes me think that's some way of pollinating?? I don't know I'll look into it more.

And seriously! Free wild Zoas! I spotted heaps more just springing up. I read they like light so I'm going to start getting more serious with my lighting system and get some timers etc. Wasn't going to worry about it until towards the end of the cycle!

OP
OP
ManOfSalt

ManOfSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That zippy creature would freak me out lol I watched the vid like 5 times to figure out what you were referring too

Haha crazy right? It freaked me out a bit because it was pitch black and like 3 am when I found it. Just moving about like it's not in water!

OP
OP
ManOfSalt

ManOfSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw a funny event last night in my tank. At first I thought it was just a worm caught up in some skinny strand of plant but I looked closer and it was a brittle star that was actually grabbing the worm! No idea what it was attempting to do with it. Looked like a workout more than anything lol hence the lame title for the video. It's a 4 minute video so allocate as much time and patience as needed lol

[video=youtube_share;4Y1ckR5AN1M]http://youtu.be/4Y1ckR5AN1M[/video]

OP
OP
ManOfSalt

ManOfSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More live stuff on the live rock! My eyes ran across this thing as it was moving.

[video=youtube_share;BBPAiwyL2xk]http://youtu.be/BBPAiwyL2xk[/video]

OP
OP
ManOfSalt

ManOfSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is interesting. I just ran my second water test after full week of cycling and the results just amazed me.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394455990.110114.jpg

It's looking like 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 20-30 nitrates, 8ish PH. I tested for ammonia and nitrites last Tuesday and there was about 1.5 ammonia and 0 nitrites. Because of that I didn't bother to test for nitrates. Tested again last Thursday and ammonia shot up to 2 ish still no nitrites. Now this 3 days later! It looks as though the bacteria has already consumed the nitrates and made nitrates. Im also noticing more Zoas, other little cool random green plants and algae growing! I see green, hair and I may be getting ahead of myself but there may even be some coralline as well! The conditions must be ideal. If I'm reading these colors and this algae right, I'm just about ready to stock some coral and maybe hire a CUC!

It's weirding me out though because of how much was supposed to happen before this according to that amazing reefer guide in the beginner forum. This LR really must've fast tracked this process. My lights have been on for 2 days straight as well due to me going out of town so that I think may have had something to do with the algae growth. It was either let the sponge and the worms grow and run amok in the dark or let Zoas and possibly more cool plants grow in the light. I chose the latter. And I came home to just that! I'm also noticing less encrusting sponge as well so it was a good trade off. The sponge didn't look as good on the eyes.

Going to bring some water to the LFS to see what they think about a WC. The nitrates don't seem that crazy but ::shrug::

Pics!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394456040.406701.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394456058.917001.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394456102.775805.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394456175.302061.jpg

OP
OP
ManOfSalt

ManOfSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also thought I would share this clip of a jumpy little plant that I found. Every time I pass by it would retract really quickly and then after a small amount of time come back out really slowly. It just amazes me how lively these things are. It's hard to see at first because I had to film it moving to get it to go in. So a couple of views and you'll be able to find it and see it shoot in. Let me know if it's crappy to view and I'll see if I can't do it with better quality.

[video=youtube_share;XX34sfDkUiU]http://youtu.be/XX34sfDkUiU[/video]

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your video is good. That's a type of tube worm, a feather duster of sorts. They are beneficial as filter feeders. Some fish will eat them though. Hey congrats on the cycle, that was fast. Nitrites do rise and fall quickly as a rule. I guess you are ready to consider a couple fish if your LFS agrees with your test results. How exciting! Watch the hair algae, it can be a bugger to get rid of if it gets a foothold.

OP
OP
ManOfSalt

ManOfSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Dawn! The LFS I was going to go to was closed on Tuesday of all days and another one I went to that was conveniently close only did freshwater tests -.- Trying again today. So anxious!

I switched up the light cycle a bit to have less light to not encourage rampant algae growth. Man I hope the LFS has some good news for me!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 135 74.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 27 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.7%
Back