My Fluval Evo V 5 Gallon Build

justdeb1107

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally bought this tank used on FB Marketplace. It was supposed to be new in box, but it was missing pieces and had clearly used tubing. Additionally, all the electrical elements were wired for European plugs. I'd planned on it being a QT tank but, well, there was something appealing about it. It's rimless, for one, and if you can resist mini items you're a stronger human than I am. At first, I used the stock equipment (with plug adapters because - European - remember?). But everything out of the box is garbage. The return pump was so weak you could barely tell anything was coming out (even putting your finger on the return jet to check for flow), and their sponge "media" thingie is a joke. Hence, my $40 FB Marketplace "deal" was going to cost me some real dough. haha For a few weeks it actually *did* QT a zoa frag I noticed had aiptasia on it, which didn't end well for either the frag or the aiptasia, but I'm super happy I never put it in my MD.

IMG_2717.jpeg

OP
OP
justdeb1107

justdeb1107

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what's going into the build so far:
  1. The Evo V 5 gallon tank itself
  2. An InTank media rack with a double layer of Fluval bio foam on top, carbon in the middle, and Matrix bio something or another little pieces in the bottom (last time I was in the hobby, bio balls were a thing). Things to note: the InTank media rack is expensive but I LOVE it. Also, it doesn't fit well up against the side of the chamber that the water comes in on, but I wedged some air line tubing on the off side and it works like a champ now.
  3. A Newa Mini MN 606 159 gph pump purchased from Salty Critters in Ohio. I had to pry the front face plate off to fit it in chamber 1, but what a difference a real pump makes to this setup! I also bought a Sicce Nano pump from Amazon, but it didn't look like it would fit and I'm returning it. Maybe there's some way it fits, but idk and the Newa was both easy and powerful. Quiet, too.
  4. A rather clunky looking Fluval power head (though, honestly, with the Newa pump's flow, it's probably overkill).
  5. A preset small heater, which doesn't seem to fit anywhere but in the MD. I don't mind, actually. Can't be uglier than the power head.
  6. A Mag Tool ATO-Lite I found for $46 on Amazon that works like a champ.
  7. A small LED light strip to add extra blue light to the tank. I don't remember the brand, but I suction cupped it to the outside back, shining it into the tank, because it kept submerging every time I messed with anything inside the tank.
  8. Right now I still have the stock light on it, but ordered a 60 watt Smatfarm LED light off Amazon because I want to put SPS coral in this thing eventually. It seemed reasonably priced for this build, with a controller built in with sunset, sunrise, etc. We shall see...

Last edited:
OP
OP
justdeb1107

justdeb1107

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving the "QT" tank from my bar to the kitchen counter. I decided since I have nothing to put in it yet to replace all the water but keep the sand bed. Will check for ammonia spikes.

IMG_4213.jpeg

OP
OP
justdeb1107

justdeb1107

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to do a bit of work with my fingernail dremel to shave the little water plug that goes in chamber 2 to make sure the water only flows in from the top. I also super glued it in place because it kept popping out. I *LOVE* this media rack so much more than the crappy sponge thingie they provide. I am also ordering one for my BioCube 32. It keeps the media bags from falling off the sides and getting stuck when you pull out the rack. I also see a lot of crud in the top section already, so the new and improved pump and intake are doing a great job. I did have to shove a bit of airline tubing down the back side to push the rack up against where the water flows in. Before that, the rack was loose and the water would simply pour in the gap on the tank side, bypassing the media. No biggie, and a simple fix.

Attachments

• IMG_4217.jpeg
    IMG_4217.jpeg
    248 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4216.jpeg
    IMG_4216.jpeg
    275.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4215.jpeg
    IMG_4215.jpeg
    198.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4214.jpeg
    IMG_4214.jpeg
    154.3 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
justdeb1107

justdeb1107

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Newa Mini pump (MN 606) from Salty Critters in Ohio is fabulous! Very quiet, and - once again - SOOOOO much better than the piece of crap Fluval included. That one moved almost no water.

Attachments

• IMG_4219.jpeg
    IMG_4219.jpeg
    153.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4220.jpeg
    IMG_4220.jpeg
    124.6 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
justdeb1107

justdeb1107

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic shows the blue light bar. I think it's a little Marineland, but I can't find the model on Amazon. Probably grabbed it at my LFS. I believe it came in a little housing, as it's supposed to be hidden behind the tank rim, but there isn't one on this tank so I bought suction cups that fit it and threw away the housing. I'm pretty sure once the upgraded light arrives it will be obsolete, but c'est la vie.

This is also my ATO setup. I put the sensor behind the return pump valve (in MD) and put the water tube in chamber 1. This particular unit has a one-way siphon so it can't keep running and flood the tank. I'm using a plastic container with a sealing lid for my RO/DI water. It holds a gallon, but this tank evaporates pretty quickly, so I have to keep an eye on it. I can't imagine doing a very small tank without an ATO. This one was inexpensive, and will be worth it to keep salinity swings from happening. Amazing how many cords and different devices it takes to run a baby tank like this!

IMG_4223.jpeg IMG_4224.jpeg IMG_4225.jpeg IMG_4226.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
justdeb1107

justdeb1107

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the time you have an extra powerhead, heater, ATO lines, and the main pump power cords all sticking up on the back left of the tank, the stock top no longer fits. I decided to modify it with my Dremel. First, I drilled pilot holes so the plastic wouldn't crack, but I needn't have worried. My Dremel went through it like a hot knife through butter. That was good, because my first cut wasn't big enough and I had to cut more out. Of course, it was midnight by then and I was second guessing my life choices by that point. haha

Attachments

• IMG_4233.jpeg
    IMG_4233.jpeg
    140.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4231.jpeg
    IMG_4231.jpeg
    236 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4229.jpeg
    IMG_4229.jpeg
    109.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4228.jpeg
    IMG_4228.jpeg
    148.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4227.jpeg
    IMG_4227.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
justdeb1107

justdeb1107

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up way too early the next (well, later, anyway) morning and saw that during sunrise I got direct sunlight in the tank. This was expected. Since I want to grow more than GHA in the tank, I'll have to put something behind it before going to bed at night. No biggie. For now, I chunked the back of an older BioCube tank stand behind it. I think it looks nice among my house plants. Now to figure out an aquascape. Been looking on the internet to see what others have done. It's challenging in this very narrow tank. At the moment there is only a single piece of rubble from when it was my QT tank. Stay tuned...

IMG_4235.jpeg IMG_4238.jpeg IMG_4237.jpeg IMG_4241.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back