My saltwater journal.

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the pain. I'm down to one salt tank and I fell in love with an octopus at our lfs. Unfortunately she laid eggs last week.

OP
OP
nawilson89

nawilson89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Macro Algae

Is there anything I should be dosing to get some growth from my macro algae? I feel like my "quick growing" algae isnt moving at all...

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends on the excess nutrients in the tank, and lighting. If the light is wrong it won't grow fast, if theres no excess nutrients to feed on, it won't grow.

OP
OP
nawilson89

nawilson89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. Lighting is pretty much standard "saltwater" lighting as far as I was told when I first started up. When I used to have planted freshwater I would dose with co2, it's not the same but is there something similar? Should I try to dose with small traces of phosphates?

OP
OP
nawilson89

nawilson89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why I cant have nice things

20140729_071736.jpg

She just... takes what she wants.... after she ate all of my gracilaria...

OP
OP
nawilson89

nawilson89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20140809_194856.jpg

New Hectors Goby. Since I have no quarantine, i was reluctant to get it. I had him in isolation in a box for a day but i was scared he would starve so off in the tank he was. He's eating very well. Taking down all my hair algae.
20140809_194904.jpg

I did some local collect. (i love local collecting) and got some white legged hermits.

Also mystery crab has been eating algae and growing. he might be an emerald. i might be ok... might.

OP
OP
nawilson89

nawilson89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've wanted to get my macro algae to grow more and was over feeding quite a bit, that worked as some of my prolifera shot up...
Well yesterday i realized.... HoB filter... I've been filtering out all the excess nutrients that I wanted for my macros!

Took out the filter media and left the HoB (to appease a certain micromanaging family member... they dont know that there isnt any filter media in the HoB)

Now to foul up the water (sounds so weird to say that)

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many people would kill to be in that position!!:bigsmile:

OP
OP
nawilson89

nawilson89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really just setting up for my move. Once I move, i'll be getting rid of my zebra dartfish moving my current tank inhabitants into a 20g tank (or maybe a 40b and then turning this tank into a dwarf lion habitat.

OP
OP
nawilson89

nawilson89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So quick question... I know feeding my fish freshwater fish is a no no... What if i acclimate a group of mollies to saltwater and have them breed and eat saltwater food to feed to my soon to be predators....

Would that be the same thing?

I did the same thing in the past for freshwater fish. I breed platies to feed to my freshwater fish.

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few mollies now and then would be OK but they shouldn't make up the majority of the diet. They do not have the right fat content. In the wild lionfish mostly eat crustaceans.

OP
OP
nawilson89

nawilson89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few mollies now and then would be OK but they shouldn't make up the majority of the diet. They do not have the right fat content. In the wild lionfish mostly eat crustaceans.

Yeah. I hope to get the hang of macro algae soon enough and begin to cultivate peppermint shrimp to feed (also with saltwater ghost shrimp).

And new question. What kind of nem would a clownfish go for?

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the species of Clown. A quick Google search should bring up the most common hosts for your type of Clown.

OP
OP
nawilson89

nawilson89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fun update.

Fed my aquarium brine shrimp. Everyone went crazy. Even my hectors goby grabbed a few. Now I know the fan favorite.

I also added some ghost shrimp. I unleashed something in my female clown. She's become a ravenous beast. She attacked one til it died and since then she's literally been pacing the aquarium searching all everywhere for one, when she finds one she just goes and looks for another one. The one she killed ended up being caught by a white legged hermit and torn apart. There is became a feeding frenzy. Other hermits came and fought, until the bumblebee snails came and ran everyone out of town.

I love this hobby.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 84 48.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back