My struggle with Velvet, and Peroxide as a promising tool

InsaneClownfishPosse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me lay some groundwork here regarding this post. I don't post often but I thought this was worth the time to give back a bit to the community. I am also NOT a scientist, I’m a hobbyist like most of you. My intent here is to share my experience, strictly for learning purposes, in the hopes that someday others benefit from and continue to look into this approach. I’m personally convinced it’s effective but it needs more research, and with CP and copper affecting various fish, this might be a gentler solution. At the very least, it could be a tool to give us a little more time to react since velvet moves so fast, so it’s worth a discussion IMO.

Tank Spec for the purpose of this conversation:
300 gallon (total water volume, including displacement for rock/sand/etc.) (96”x24”x30” + sump) reef tank.

So here we go... A few weeks ago I noticed a dead fish, my nice ORA indigo dottyback. He was a longtime resident and I was a bit concerned but saw no outward signs of disease and reconciled myself to “stuff happens”. The next day, my very healthy long time resident watanabe angel was gasping on the bottom of the tank. Something was definitely wrong.

I started really looking at all the fish in the tank, 15 in total. I saw what I tragically misinterpreted as ich and began aggressively taking my display down to hyposalinity and migrating my inverts to avoid a huge die-off send my tank into a new cycle.

It’s worth noting WHY I went down this road;
1. I could not easily treat 15 fish, some large 6+ inches with my current qt equipment
2. I had very little in the way of inverts/coral at the time and they could easily fit in a 40 breeder
3. I am in the middle of a minor renovation with floors for the entire house and a few walls going up so it would be chaotic, to say the least, to manage the multiple hospital tanks I would need.

OK, so back to it. It’s no surprise I lost a few more fish as I transitioned to hypo. Let me say that getting to 1.009sg on a 300 gallon tank is not easy. It took a few days, it involved a lot of buckets of RO. I lost a few more fish and then some of the signs of what I was truly dealing with became known to me.

Ich is not this fast, I knew that. I began more research and concluded it was velvet (Amyloodinium ocellatum). The signs were now easy to see. Fish swimming into powerheads, gasping, light sensitive, and lack of appetite were all there. And of course hypo does NOTHING for velvet, so I lost precious time going down the wrong road. Lesson learned.

Now I’m kind of of screwed because copper and Chloroquine Phosphate (CP) are the 2 main treatments and neither are going to work for a 300g tank.

First, I dont have access to CP, time is precious, and I have 2 wrasses, which don't do well in CP.
Second, copper would destroy my rocks and sand, it’s not a good solution for a DT.

Formalin is a third option but it isn’t a viable option for me either. With the tank in hypo I am seeing an ammonia spike from the die-off of worms and a few missed snails, its manageable with water changes and Prime but Formalin would have destroyed whatever biofilter that was protecting me currently.

So more research, there must be something else, right?

I started reading articles on some promising work with Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2). I dove deeper and it seemed to make sense. Velvet is a dinoflagellate, we use Peroxide for other dinoflagellate issues and algae, so I read on;

A purple tang rescue with some peroxide testing:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/petco-purple-tang-rescue-action.249943/page-2

A VERY informative article from Reefkeeping which included some peroxide info:
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-07/sp/feature/index.php

Several articles that got a bit more specific on treatment options:
http://agrilife.org/fisheries/files...mportant-Parasite-of-Cultured-Marine-Fish.pdf

https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2761.1980.tb00421.x

Im sure I read more than the above, but the bulk of information is in the articles I listed. Honestly, I was really surprised on how little info there was to read on the topic.

In the end, I learned that treatments ranging in the 50-300ppm had variable success/mortality rates with the most promising was in the 50-75ppm range, in my opinion. So I calculated my dosing, starting at the low end to see reactions. 50ppm.

I calculated what I needed as follows:
50ppm = .05 ml/l
300g = 1135.62 liters
1135.65 * .05 = 56.781 ml (I rounded to 57ml)

Prior to initial dosing the following notable symptoms were occuring:
  1. My naso was noticeable covered in spots, was not eating and was photosensitive.

2. My copperband was swimming into the powerhead and staying at the top of the tank, also noticeably covered in spots.

3. My tomato clowns were further along, with large white mucus patches.

4. All fish were generally lacking in appetite.

Day 1 In the evening I dosed the 57ml into the main tank powerhead and watched for adverse reactions through the next day. The 3 fish I noted above were my litmus test, If I saw improvement in those 4, I would continue treatment.

Day 2, in the morning I observed some slight improvement, or what I perceived to be improvement in behavior. There were no adverse reactions, so I dosed another 57ml.

I continued to read some of the scientific research into Amyloodinium ocellatum because, aside from the issue at hand, this is a dang interesting parasite. One thing that popped into my head was that, as a dinoflagellate, it was photosynthetic and could use light for some nourishment. But what really struck me was that when Amyloodinium ocellatum reach the trophant stage, they tend to swim toward the light and then infect fish. Now I also started reading into the reaction times of peroxide, and how long it lasts in the water. As an oxidizer, its not long, a few hours by some estimates.

I decided I could turn this into an advantage in two ways. First, I surmised that if I treat with peroxide in the AM, maybe 30-40 min after lights come on, I could maximize the effect on the trophants, which is the only stage peroxide will work on btw. Second, given the lifespan of peroxide, I could possible double dose; once in the AM and once at night to further increase effectiveness.

Day 2, in the evening, with no losses or negative effects, I upped the dose to 75ppm (86ml), after the initial morning dose of 57ml. The next day, I saw very notable improvement. The naso was out and showing interest in food (but not eating yet), the clowns were still showing signs of white patches and lack of appetite, the remaining fish actually ate!!

Day 3, I continued the 86ml dose for both the morning and evening.

Each day, I saw some improvement and the appetite and behavior of the fish trended closer to normal. Except for the clowns, who died. I surmise, based on their advanced symptoms, were too far gone for this, or any other treatment, to help.

I continued the 86ml dosing over the next several days until all visible symptoms also disappeared. At this point, the fish are symptom free, I have stopped dosing 2 days ago and I am observing. I know this is not a definitive cure, I cannot perform a gill biopsy to confirm, and even if no further symptoms present themselves, I plan on doing a full quarantine after the renovations are complete before any new fish or coral will be considered. I am also upping my QT game for all additions; 6 weeks for everything, no exceptions. I am NOT doing this again, velvet is no joke.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydrogen peroxide probably does eradicate free swimmers (dinospores), but the problem has always been maintaining an effective level without overdosing. When I was looking into the iDip Photometer, I noticed they sold 3 different H2O2 reagents to use with it: https://sensafe.com/exact-idip/

https://sensafe.com/exact-strip-micro-hydrogen-peroxide/

https://sensafe.com/exact-strip-micro-hydrogen-peroxide-high-range/

https://sensafe.com/exact-strip-micro-hydrogen-peroxide-low-range/

That might be worth looking into.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Except for the clowns, who died.
Interesting because often when a whole tank of mixed fish are wiped out by velvet, clowns are frequently the last fish swimming/standing. Thanks for the post. ;)

OP
OP
InsaneClownfishPosse

InsaneClownfishPosse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting because often when a whole tank of mixed fish are wiped out by velvet, clowns are frequently the last fish swimming/standing. Thanks for the post. ;)
I thought the very same thing, and some of the fish considered more sensitive like my moorish idol and copperband survived.

More observation tonight and I’m glad to report all fish remain symptom free.

OP
OP
InsaneClownfishPosse

InsaneClownfishPosse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydrogen peroxide probably does eradicate free swimmers (dinospores), but the problem has always been maintaining an effective level without overdosing. When I was looking into the iDip Photometer, I noticed they sold 3 different H2O2 reagents to use with it: https://sensafe.com/exact-idip/

Nice! I’ve never seen this before, and Christmas is just around the corner for me. Lol

eXact iDip®

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, we have three different reagents for H2O2 depending on how high of levels you want to measure.

Hydrogen Peroxide Low #486616: 0.00 - 3.50 ppm
Hydrogen Peroxide #486648: 1 - 130 ppm
Hydrogen Peroxide High #486676: 16 - 4200 ppm

Elitecorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice report!!! HP look like a great alternative treatment as far as copper goes

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting discussion so far. I'll be interested to see how research into this progresses.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting discussion so far. I'll be interested to see how research into this progresses.

I agree, this might be really promising for those of us northerners who have had copper taken away from us. When I get to stocking my tank I might give this method a shot.

Hedgedrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me lay some groundwork here regarding this post. I don't post often but I thought this was worth the time to give back a bit to the community. I am also NOT a scientist, I’m a hobbyist like most of you. My intent here is to share my experience, strictly for learning purposes, in the hopes that someday others benefit from and continue to look into this approach. I’m personally convinced it’s effective but it needs more research, and with CP and copper affecting various fish, this might be a gentler solution. At the very least, it could be a tool to give us a little more time to react since velvet moves so fast, so it’s worth a discussion IMO.

Tank Spec for the purpose of this conversation:
300 gallon (total water volume, including displacement for rock/sand/etc.) (96”x24”x30” + sump) reef tank.

So here we go... A few weeks ago I noticed a dead fish, my nice ORA indigo dottyback. He was a longtime resident and I was a bit concerned but saw no outward signs of disease and reconciled myself to “stuff happens”. The next day, my very healthy long time resident watanabe angel was gasping on the bottom of the tank. Something was definitely wrong.

I started really looking at all the fish in the tank, 15 in total. I saw what I tragically misinterpreted as ich and began aggressively taking my display down to hyposalinity and migrating my inverts to avoid a huge die-off send my tank into a new cycle.

It’s worth noting WHY I went down this road;
1. I could not easily treat 15 fish, some large 6+ inches with my current qt equipment
2. I had very little in the way of inverts/coral at the time and they could easily fit in a 40 breeder
3. I am in the middle of a minor renovation with floors for the entire house and a few walls going up so it would be chaotic, to say the least, to manage the multiple hospital tanks I would need.

OK, so back to it. It’s no surprise I lost a few more fish as I transitioned to hypo. Let me say that getting to 1.009sg on a 300 gallon tank is not easy. It took a few days, it involved a lot of buckets of RO. I lost a few more fish and then some of the signs of what I was truly dealing with became known to me.

Ich is not this fast, I knew that. I began more research and concluded it was velvet (Amyloodinium ocellatum). The signs were now easy to see. Fish swimming into powerheads, gasping, light sensitive, and lack of appetite were all there. And of course hypo does NOTHING for velvet, so I lost precious time going down the wrong road. Lesson learned.

Now I’m kind of of screwed because copper and Chloroquine Phosphate (CP) are the 2 main treatments and neither are going to work for a 300g tank.

First, I dont have access to CP, time is precious, and I have 2 wrasses, which don't do well in CP.
Second, copper would destroy my rocks and sand, it’s not a good solution for a DT.

Formalin is a third option but it isn’t a viable option for me either. With the tank in hypo I am seeing an ammonia spike from the die-off of worms and a few missed snails, its manageable with water changes and Prime but Formalin would have destroyed whatever biofilter that was protecting me currently.

So more research, there must be something else, right?

I started reading articles on some promising work with Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2). I dove deeper and it seemed to make sense. Velvet is a dinoflagellate, we use Peroxide for other dinoflagellate issues and algae, so I read on;

A purple tang rescue with some peroxide testing:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/petco-purple-tang-rescue-action.249943/page-2

A VERY informative article from Reefkeeping which included some peroxide info:
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-07/sp/feature/index.php

Several articles that got a bit more specific on treatment options:
http://agrilife.org/fisheries/files...mportant-Parasite-of-Cultured-Marine-Fish.pdf

https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2761.1980.tb00421.x

Im sure I read more than the above, but the bulk of information is in the articles I listed. Honestly, I was really surprised on how little info there was to read on the topic.

In the end, I learned that treatments ranging in the 50-300ppm had variable success/mortality rates with the most promising was in the 50-75ppm range, in my opinion. So I calculated my dosing, starting at the low end to see reactions. 50ppm.

I calculated what I needed as follows:
50ppm = .05 ml/l
300g = 1135.62 liters
1135.65 * .05 = 56.781 ml (I rounded to 57ml)

Prior to initial dosing the following notable symptoms were occuring:
  1. My naso was noticeable covered in spots, was not eating and was photosensitive.

2. My copperband was swimming into the powerhead and staying at the top of the tank, also noticeably covered in spots.

3. My tomato clowns were further along, with large white mucus patches.

4. All fish were generally lacking in appetite.

Day 1 In the evening I dosed the 57ml into the main tank powerhead and watched for adverse reactions through the next day. The 3 fish I noted above were my litmus test, If I saw improvement in those 4, I would continue treatment.

Day 2, in the morning I observed some slight improvement, or what I perceived to be improvement in behavior. There were no adverse reactions, so I dosed another 57ml.

I continued to read some of the scientific research into Amyloodinium ocellatum because, aside from the issue at hand, this is a dang interesting parasite. One thing that popped into my head was that, as a dinoflagellate, it was photosynthetic and could use light for some nourishment. But what really struck me was that when Amyloodinium ocellatum reach the trophant stage, they tend to swim toward the light and then infect fish. Now I also started reading into the reaction times of peroxide, and how long it lasts in the water. As an oxidizer, its not long, a few hours by some estimates.

I decided I could turn this into an advantage in two ways. First, I surmised that if I treat with peroxide in the AM, maybe 30-40 min after lights come on, I could maximize the effect on the trophants, which is the only stage peroxide will work on btw. Second, given the lifespan of peroxide, I could possible double dose; once in the AM and once at night to further increase effectiveness.

Day 2, in the evening, with no losses or negative effects, I upped the dose to 75ppm (86ml), after the initial morning dose of 57ml. The next day, I saw very notable improvement. The naso was out and showing interest in food (but not eating yet), the clowns were still showing signs of white patches and lack of appetite, the remaining fish actually ate!!

Day 3, I continued the 86ml dose for both the morning and evening.

Each day, I saw some improvement and the appetite and behavior of the fish trended closer to normal. Except for the clowns, who died. I surmise, based on their advanced symptoms, were too far gone for this, or any other treatment, to help.

I continued the 86ml dosing over the next several days until all visible symptoms also disappeared. At this point, the fish are symptom free, I have stopped dosing 2 days ago and I am observing. I know this is not a definitive cure, I cannot perform a gill biopsy to confirm, and even if no further symptoms present themselves, I plan on doing a full quarantine after the renovations are complete before any new fish or coral will be considered. I am also upping my QT game for all additions; 6 weeks for everything, no exceptions. I am NOT doing this again, velvet is no joke.
Hello. I am in the first 48 hrs of this protocol. What was final result. How many days total did you do this ?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humblefish was discussing this in a prior post and he was suggesting 30 days of tank treatment. Here's the link to the thread:

Hedgedrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humblefish was discussing this in a prior post and he was suggesting 30 days of tank treatment. Here's the link to the thread:
Thank you

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@InsaneClownfishPosse Can you list the corals/inverts you had when dosing @ 75ppm? I've got a public aquarium willing to test this out, corals and all, but we have very little intel on exposing corals to this high of a dosage. I tried PMing you, but no response.

OP
OP
InsaneClownfishPosse

InsaneClownfishPosse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@InsaneClownfishPosse Can you list the corals/inverts you had when dosing @ 75ppm? I've got a public aquarium willing to test this out, corals and all, but we have very little intel on exposing corals to this high of a dosage. I tried PMing you, but no response.
I will put together a list tonight, including the moralities.

OP
OP
InsaneClownfishPosse

InsaneClownfishPosse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Much appreciated.

@Humblefish : A bit delayed but here is the list of fish leading up to diagnosis, progression and mortality. Its worth noting as I mentioned in my original post I had removed all coral to a QT tank, placed the tank in Hypo salinity (because I thought it was ich) and kept it in hypo during treatment. Losses in red

1. Harlequin Tusk (Lienardella fasciata) - Lost prior to treatment - initial loss, not able to confirm, but behavior of hiding and not eating prior to death.
2. Moorish Idol (Zanclus cornutus) - no signs
3. Pair of red saddle back clowns (Amphiprion ephippium) - Lost during initial treatment, disease already progressed to final stage.
4. Diamond Goby (Valenciennea puellaris) - Hiding and not eating, unable to confirm if presenting signs.
5. 3 Lyre Tail Anthia (Pseudanthias squamipinnis) - Lost prior to treatment
6. Naso Tang (Naso lituratus) - Presenting signs, hiding and not eating
7. Copperband Butterfly (Chelmon rostratus) - Presenting signs, not eating, swimming into powerhead flow
8. Scopas Koi Tang (Zebrasoma scopas) - No signs
9. 2 Female Watanabei Butterfly (Genicanthus watanabei) - Lost prior to treatment, cause undetermined
10. Leutenant Tang (Acanthurus tennenti) - Presenting signs, still eating

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@InsaneClownfishPosse Thank you. We are currently dosing 75ppm every 12 hours in fish only systems with good success. Testing shows H2O2 breaks down rapidly when dosed into a running system with strong circulation. However, the concentration may still be high enough for long enough to do its job.

Testing this approach in an aquarium with corals/inverts is going to be a whole different animal. There are so many different variables to take into consideration, and it will be difficult/time consuming to ascertain the "sweet spot" concentration most corals/inverts can tolerate. :rolleyes:

Hedgedrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@InsaneClownfishPosse Thank you. We are currently dosing 75ppm every 12 hours in fish only systems with good success. Testing shows H2O2 breaks down rapidly when dosed into a running system with strong circulation. However, the concentration may still be high enough for long enough to do its job.

Testing this approach in an aquarium with corals/inverts is going to be a whole different animal. There are so many different variables to take into consideration, and it will be difficult/time consuming to ascertain the "sweet spot" concentration most corals/inverts can tolerate. :rolleyes:
The 1 ml for 5 gallons thing is way lower than the concentration in the baths.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back