My Tank is heating up too much

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’ve recently put together my tank, and added fish. I’ve noticed that my temperature is rising too much in my tank, my room temperature is around 78-76°f. I’ve even unplugged my heater, and the temperature has still gone up? What can I do?
PS..I’m using an Inkbird to monitor my temperature

The water pump, lights and everything else in your tank generate heat.

At some point the temp will stabilise at the point where the heat generation and heat dissipation are equal.

If that is above about 85 degrees you'll need to look at a way of cooling the tank.
The easiest is a fan blowing across the water surface which causes cooling by evaporation.

I have a bank of 6 fans (about $20 on Amazon) which can be controlled by a cooling outlet on an inkbird controller. They keep my 90 gal system cool enough in summer that I don't have to worry about a chiller.

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’ve recently put together my tank, and added fish. I’ve noticed that my temperature is rising too much in my tank, my room temperature is around 78-76°f. I’ve even unplugged my heater, and the temperature has still gone up? What can I do?
PS..I’m using an Inkbird to monitor my temperature
Any electrical device in your tank will produce heat, and if you don’t have central air to turn down room temperature, you would need a chiller or fans, I never had great success with fans, they say hygger has nice cheap fans, but for the long term you should look into a chiller, Amazon has some good prices on chillers, and you can check the feedback: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=VEVOR+Aq...vor+aquarium+chiller,aps,199&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently, the tank was at 79.2, and was rising about 0.2 every hour, and I couldn’t find a way to stop it. And I’m not running any lights for the tank, as I have no coral, so there’s technically no need. But I will be getting a light s

Currently, the tank was at 79.2, and was rising about 0.2 every hour, and I couldn’t find a way to stop it. And I’m not running any lights for the tank, as I have no coral, so there’s technically no need. But I will be getting a light soon

Currently, the tank was at 79.2, and was rising about 0.2 every hour, and I couldn’t find a way to stop it. And I’m not running any lights for the tank, as I have no coral, so there’s technically no need. But I will be getting a light soon
Gotcha, that temp is ok but I would expect it to run lower with no heater and no lights. I eventually added a chiller to mine because my lights heat mine up to much. Could use a clip on fan to cut on each day to help control temp.

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fans, and if that's not enough, then chillers.

My heater doesn't turn on at all, my room temp is around 75F, and my tank is running at 79F. I also just started adding fans and chiller to prepare for even hotter summer months.

Fred A.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, why does my tank heat up even if my heater is off? Currently my room is about 74. The other tank in my room hasn’t had a problem like this before
Because your pumps and lights raise your temperature way above your room temperature. My room is usually 77 degrees, hotter overnight in the summer when the AC is off. The water temp. rises to 90! GET A CHILLER.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do did calibrate the heater and INKBIRD, yes?
Put it in a bucket, turn it on, make sure it turns off on its own.

Otherwise the heater or INKBIRD maybe faulty.

If with no heater, your temp constantly rises, a fan should suffice, although evaporation will increase.

If one tank heats up and a second does not, you must have a heat source doing that outside of room temp. Pumps, lights, wavemakers, UV’ to name a few all can add heat. Also, a stuck pump can produce a lot of heat.

If none of that is the case, readings are inaccurate.

Last edited:
Back