My Wife hates my Blues, Can’t be the Only one???

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 10K to 12K IMO.

I see it’s using stratons. Personal opinion. But having used halides in the 10-20k range. That picture looks a lot more like a 20,000k halide than it does a 10,000k. A lot of the led people call the solid blue look 20,000k. I just humbly have to disagree. Monochromatic is what it is. I wouldn’t assign even a very loosely defined kelvin rating to it.

That tank pictured above looked a lot like my radiums or Hamilton. 20,000k did. My xm10,000k were way way warmer/greener looking. Didn’t have that blue/violet tint. The Hamilton 14,000k kind of added a bit of a pink hue to offset the green

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ferdinando D'Amora's reef was alasays my favorite 10k halide reef aquarium.

IMG_2677.png

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love everything about @Viking_Reefing tanks! The fish, the aquascape, and the lighting choice makes everything magical, but realistic. I visit his videos often. I wonder if I could get my Red Sea Reef 90’s to mirror that since they’re fairly restrictive. Any Red Sea 90 people know how i could do that?
Thanks bud!
I don’t have any personal experience with the light in question but I believe it has a fairly limited spectrum, leaning heavily in to blues. I would guess you could do something kind of similar but you would most likely have to turn down the blues a whole lot which would really decrease output.
My aurora v12 for example has both warm whites, cool whites, reds and greens and is more geared towards a balanced spectrum.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks bud!
I don’t have any personal experience with the light in question but I believe it has a fairly limited spectrum, leaning heavily in to blues. I would guess you could do something kind of similar but you would most likely have to turn down the blues a whole lot which would really decrease output.
My aurora v12 for example has both warm whites, cool whites, reds and greens and is more geared towards a balanced spectrum.
Red sea light are like 80% " blues" ( collection of blue nm's) on one channel 20% cool white in the other.
Not much to adjust there. Oh percents are just close guesses. To lazy to look up exact numbers.

Raul-7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks bud!

Can you share your spectrum selection for each color on the Aurora V12?

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks bud!
That’s what I was worried about- I’ll do some more surfing on this site to see people’s tanks that use the Red Sea lights. In the meantime, I’ll continue to enjoy your videos as I learn a lot.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red sea light are like 80% " blues" ( collection of blue nm's) on one channel 20% cool white in the other.
Not much to adjust there. Oh percents are just close guesses. Too lazy to look up exact numbers.
Agreed. I”lvl have to see what others have done with those lights. I appreciate your responding!

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The key to having a natural whiter look is to pick corals that look good that way. Blue oregon torts, old fasioned pink birdsnests, purple stylos, and green slimers, etc... Many of the "crazy color" LPS, tennius, etc... require the blue spectrum for the flourescence, otherwise they look washed out.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not really agree that you need heavy blue light to make LPS or tenuis look good. There are some that only work under blue light, like Walt Disney, but these were kinda always a joke and have fallen out of flavor (folks around me can barely give them away). Again, some corals just suck, but the good ones look good under any lights if you can care for them correctly.

Perhaps I have just chosen well, but Homewrecker, MattV Rainbow Envy, JF Blow Torch, RMF Lucky Charms, BKChem Fruit Loops all look great under 14k light... probably better. I don't have time for brown and green corals that look OK when you just shine blue on them. I zoomed in way too far and the photo is terrible, but these colors are real under 14k for this homewrecker (unedited) - I need to take a new photo of it since I have a colony now and it still has these nice pinks, blues and greens.

Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 8.17.57 AM.png

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where’s the OP for the last six pages

Im subbed because I want to see someone increase whites and not get bleaching or a massive invasion within 60 days…has the change been implemented yet or was this just for feelers on the possibility of making the change

six pages of peoples opinion on lighting and pics of their tank isnt the fun part

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleaching or a massive algae nightmare will only happen if the whites are increased alone and the blue channels are not simultaneously decreased. It can absolutely be done with zero bleaching and zero increase in algae activity if you maintain intensity levels.

I for one don’t mind having tenuis or lps that are drab under whites. Just because they’re not glowing isn’t the only indication of their value to me. Extreme polyp extension and rapid growth are enjoyable as well, even if they look brown during the day

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely hate viewing corals under blues only. I guess if you're into having glow tanks it works for you. I prefer a bright sunlight look and consider that the true color of the coral.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent predictions are in place. Last step: the OP shows up since Tuesday one time and notifies all the caring posters here his change is underway and we set the timer to watch outcomes.

bryan47caveman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank!

Is she upset about the color from the outside of the house looking in? Could you simply add blinds? I assume you do but worth an ask

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt think anybody cares or even noticed OP's absence. Think we're just glad to be talking about halide results and "white light" without it devolving into mh vs. Led battle

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back