Naoko wrasse compablility

Remi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have already a melanurus (male) and a yellow wrasse. I saw yesterday naoko wrasses on a LFS and like the fish. My tank is 55 gallons DT (30 inch long). I can read 30 gallon, 50 gallon... No plan to add other fairy wrasse in future.

Questions:
Does the tank size is ok?
Will it be compatible with the 2 others wrasses?
Aggression with other fish? All peaceful except the dottyback.
Do they swim in the open except the clown mine is empty?
Any potential things to be aware?

Actual Fish list:
2 ocellaris clownfish
1 melanurus stays low on the aquarium
1 yellow wrasse (chrysus) stays low on the aquarium
1 midas blenny
1 tailspot blenny
1 magenta dottyback

If it is not adequate any others recommendations for an open swimmer fish?
Radiant? LFS is 10/12 minutes from home or fairy?

Thanks in advance.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have already a melanurus (male) and a yellow wrasse. I saw yesterday naoko wrasses on a LFS and like the fish. My tank is 55 gallons DT (30 inch long). I can read 30 gallon, 50 gallon... No plan to add other fairy wrasse in future.

Questions:
Does the tank size is ok?
Will it be compatible with the 2 others wrasses?
Aggression with other fish? All peaceful except the dottyback.
Do they swim in the open except the clown mine is empty?
Any potential things to be aware?

Actual Fish list:
2 ocellaris clownfish
1 melanurus stays low on the aquarium
1 yellow wrasse (chrysus) stays low on the aquarium
1 midas blenny
1 tailspot blenny
1 magenta dottyback

If it is not adequate any others recommendations for an open swimmer fish?
Radiant? LFS is 10/12 minutes from home or fairy?

Thanks in advance.
I understand that a Naoko is a bit more on the active/aggressive side of the Rubriventralis complex and might like zooming around a slightly longer tank--I am hesitant to add one to my 36" length tank and am thinking more towards a C. rubeus in that complex:

I would probably go for a C. lubbocki, C. brunneus or a C. isosceles, that last one only if your tank is quite peaceful due to reputation for not coping well in tanks where the territory has already been staked out.

@Slocke and @i cant think can provide good advice on compatibility and @OrionN has done a great amount of photo documentation for C. naokoae.

OP
OP
Remi

Remi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that a Naoko is a bit more on the active/aggressive side of the Rubriventralis complex and might like zooming around a slightly longer tank--I am hesitant to add one to my 36" length tank and am thinking more towards a C. rubeus in that complex:

I would probably go for a C. lubbocki, C. brunneus or a C. isosceles, that last one only if your tank is quite peaceful due to reputation for not coping well in tanks where the territory has already been staked out.

@Slocke and @i cant think can provide good advice on compatibility and @OrionN has done a great amount of photo documentation for C. naokoae.
Thank you for your answer. As I am not based in the US or Europe, each shipment is a surprise. I saw c. Isosceles but when I checked liveaquaria it was 90 gallons so I pass. Others I didn't see them yet.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your answer. As I am not based in the US or Europe, each shipment is a surprise. I saw c. Isosceles but when I checked liveaquaria it was 90 gallons so I pass. Others I didn't see them yet.
I think the "# gallons" estimates on some of the sites are a bit weird. More space, the better, but footprint can be quite important as well as the aquascape and the swim space + hiding space provided. My C. brunneus is closely related to an isoceles and is an active swimmer but doesn't zoom from one side to the other bumping into walls--that said, he/she isn't 100% transitioned to male, so that could change, but for now it seems to be OK in my 40 gallon long tank. I say this not knowing that it is in fact "OK", but because its behavior doesn't suggest to me a load of stress: it mills about with the pink streaks in the back, comes up the glass and swims in front of my face, and is getting along with everyone in the tank except for Mrs. Clown who doesn't like the brunneus.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMO, 55 gal is too small for Melanurus and too small for a Naoko
NaokoFairy2019092401watermarked.jpg
NaokoFairy2020042402.jpg
NaokoFairy2020081102.jpg

OP
OP
Remi

Remi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your input. naoko will be a no go. The problem I am facing is LFSs care more about coral than fish. My 1st proposed fish was a purple tang, hopefully I knew it was not adequate knowing it's full size. So I try to educate myself but with information on liveaquaria or qualitymarine for fish. If I notice the melanurus becomes stress with time I will re-home him.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back